Those who use Current USA Orbit, do you use day/night mode?

I understand. Kudos to you on upgrading to the new light. I'm currently just running a Fowlr so Current USA is enough for me. Is it still good for softies though?
No it is not. The reason I say that is as follows.

The Par rating is extremely low, especially at the bottom of the tank. And in general, my softies do not like too much white light. So by toning the lights down on the white to where they are not bothered by too much of that spectrum, they then do not get enough par from the more preferred Blue spectrum. They are alive and will stay so under that light but will not thrive or grow. And you mostly want blue, Violet, and the UV spectrums anyway on a reef tank. Conversely, on a quality light that is of higher wattage, I would have enough par under the more preferred spectrums.

When people say "Don't waste your money on cheap lighting" they are absolutely correct. It is a waste of money and you will end up doing as I am doing and getting rid of them.

With that said, they are perfect for a fish only tank. So mine will go on a freshwater tank when I get my Hydra 26's which I am going to run with the Aquatic life T5 fixture. I will have the best of both worlds in that case.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top