Three tangs in an IM 40 Fusion

Tbh honest guys I don't see a problem here.
Most of these tangs have a recommended size of 120 gallons. There a 1/3 the size of full grown........... ill do the math...... 120÷3=40 they have an adequate tank for now. And I'm sure the owner takes good care of them..... cough cough you know what I'm sayin. Have a good day mate enjoy your fish! I'm not one to argue.
Thanks, I think, I really do think they at the present moment, and judging from their growth since I have had them has been a very slight change in size the biggest change is their color and beauty of each one. they are small in size, the mystery is bigger (length-wise) than any of the three. I want to enjoy them and in the process hope they are as happy as possible within my setup, it is a nice, not great reef but they have lots of rockwork/corals with excellent water conditions with religious water change every two weeks (17) gals, based on the quantity of actual water in tank/overflow, feeding two to three times a day various staples of meat and veggies including twice a day green seaweed, when it's no working for them I will address it.
Thanks
 
In all honesty it kinda pains me to see a bunch of people jumping on someone's back for very little to no reason. My brother used to have a couple yellow tangs in a 30 gallon something like a decade ago and you can tell when they need a bigger home. Experience/research makes a reefer not hateful, annoying and unthoughtfull comments. Here's my purple tang ive got him in the sr120. He's fully grown or near that my buddy had him in a 70-90gallon cube. We decided he needed a bigger home. You should've seen the petco tank he came from!

Notice my giant anthias? Pretty proud!

20210425_124234.jpg
 
Last edited:
Good day reefers I have a well-established reef with lots of rock, zoa's, Ricordea, soft (small to med), and hard corals (small). Tank is 3 years old (running 2 yrs. w/o issues), just started adding small SPS frags about 6 months ago, all seems well with good growth. Equipment: Tunze comliTne doc skimmer 9001 in spillover rt., MightyJet midsize for return with VCA RFG 1/2 ", AI Nero 3, VorTech 10 for movement, Two Kessil A360X running 12 hours 1-hour ramp up, 1 1/2 ramp down the full is 100/45 20 red 0 green, and in Lt. spillover media basket with carbon, sponges, floss and bio media. Livestock: many red and blue leg crabs, snails, and two nudibranchs (green lettuce), flame, and cleaner shrimp ea. s/m, 1 Mystery wrasse (med), 1African flame back (med), 1 Gem tang (s/m), 1 Purple tang (small),1 Yellow (tang small). The three tangs; Gem 1st added, Purple 2nd, and last was Yellow went through a battle royal for a day or two with each addition, but calmed down and are being neighborly, a small show of hierarchy from time to time, but very minor with no damage, last for about 2-3 seconds at most, have had multiple bouts with Ick and all three have survived with no other issues. The funning thing is they all tend to follow each other around the tank like a pack. The true king of the tank, when he feels like it is African, tough little one *******. My Mystery is a cannibal/killer, he has eaten any shrimp I've introduced with the exception of the two mentioned above and hunted down and eaten all three of my Catalina gobies (really ticked me off) I loved the Catalina's. I have on order which has taken months with no luck a pair (ea) of Spotcinctus and black storm clowns (relax) I'm only adding one of the pairs whichever comes first at this point. Also lost my 4 line wrasse no clue why very healthy/fat dominant one day, died the next, maybe my favorite fish will replace at any cost, but have been told to forget about it collection for this fish is closed. With all that out of the way the question? I've been told that my setup is going to have major problems in the future with having those three tangs in a small tank, would like to get feedback on this possible issue??? Thanks for the replys.
HI, this is a simple solution. You can't have passive fish in a tank with multiple Tangs. Tangs are aggressive fish and like to show off their dominance every now and then. Passive fish will never be able to survive in a tank full of bosses. Just choose which one you want to have; a Tang Gang or a mix of different fish. You can't really have both.

Also get rid of the ich, it will eventually kill those tangs. Plus they are just getting eating alive everytime you have an out break.
 
I think it's incredibly wrong, I wanted a tang so I got a 90g once. I kept one in there. I wanted multiple tangs so I bought a larger tank. It took me years to afford it but it was the right thing to do.
Based on your somewhat immature responses to others comments I imagine you are probably going to do what you do regardless of what I say, its incredibly cruel to even put one tang in there.
 
Kinda like keeping a cat locked in a closet or a horse stalled all of the time. You can keep the living quarters as pristine as you want and I’m sure neither will get predated on, but certainly you might be able to catch my drift here.

No one is jumping on anyone’s back. In fact this is the most civil “tang policing” I’ve seen on a forum in a long while. But this stuff needs to be called out. A fish is a living being that was not born to be kept in a box for our amusement. So if we MUST do so (and we all do so here, I am assuming) the very least we can do is our due diligence and provide a home where they can do a little more than simply exist.

Maybe OP is going to just do what they want, but perhaps some anonymous newbie will stumble across the thread and decide to actually do the right thing.
 
This reefer is new here and he'll probably never post again lol. Y'all are rough. No Aquarium is as big as the ocean so pilling on this reefer for having multiple tangs is a bit pointless. I'm sure he/she knows they have to get a bigger aquarium once the fish grows (I don't see a video so these fish could be tiny) and every fish is not the same nor do they require the same amount of swimming space. Some local fish stores keep huge tangs in 20 Gallon Aquariums for months until they are sold. Do you guys complain about that also?
 
This reefer is new here and he'll probably never post again lol. Y'all are rough. No Aquarium is as big as the ocean so pilling on this reefer for having multiple tangs is a bit pointless. I'm sure he/she knows they have to get a bigger aquarium once the fish grows (I don't see a video so these fish could be tiny) and every fish is not the same nor do they require the same amount of swimming space. Some local fish stores keep huge tangs in 20 Gallon Aquariums for months until they are sold. Do you guys complain about that also?
You can bet that no LFS keeps a purple, yellow and gem tang together in a tiny tank. As soon as they settle down, I say its 98% that it's a caged death match in there and the purple is left standing holding the heavy weight belt.

triple h wrestling GIF by WWE
 
You can bet that no LFS keeps a purple, yellow and gem tang together in a tiny tank. As soon as they settle down, I say its 98% that it's a caged death match in there and the purple is left standing holding the heavy weight belt.

triple h wrestling GIF by WWE
Fish stores do stuff like you see in this image all the time. If you ask me it's not fair to be pilling on this reefer for trying to give this fish a home. He's on here genuinely asking for advice and he's getting berated by most people on here.
x4-yellow-tang-package-small-size-approx-1-2-each-saltwater-fish-marine-fish-packages.jpg
 
This reefer is new here and he'll probably never post again lol. Y'all are rough. No Aquarium is as big as the ocean so pilling on this reefer for having multiple tangs is a bit pointless. I'm sure he/she knows they have to get a bigger aquarium once the fish grows (I don't see a video so these fish could be tiny) and every fish is not the same nor do they require the same amount of swimming space. Some local fish stores keep huge tangs in 20 Gallon Aquariums for months until they are sold. Do you guys complain about that also?
This is a forum where we talk about reef aquariums including the ethics of the hobby. I think people were pretty civil considering what he’s doing is borderline animal abuse. And your argument about fish store keeping fish in smaller aquariums just doesn’t work, for a couple reasons. First of all, pretty much everyone here is on the same page when it comes to unethical fish stores with bad husbandry practices, so we do call out stores that are not meeting the basic care requirements of the livestock they are selling while it’s in their care. Second, and this is most important reason, an LFS is by definition not a fishes permanent home (and I know of very few fish stores that sit on fish for months, most will mark the fish down if it hasn’t sold in a couple weeks). And so you say ‘well, this person may plan on moving it to a bigger tank once the fish gets bigger, what’s the difference?’, the difference is that that is an lfs is by definition a temporary home, an appropriately sized tank is not some pie in the sky future plan (and no lfs that I’ve seen, not even petco, keeps three tangs in a 40 gallon tank). We’ve all made mistakes and probably kept fish in tanks that were too small, but putting three tangs in a 40 gallon tank shows a complete, willful disregard for the longterm well-being of these animals, and that’s just not cool.
 
Fish stores do stuff like you see in this image all the time. If you ask me it's not fair to be pilling on this reefer for trying to give this fish a home. He's on here genuinely asking for advice and he's getting berated by most people on here.
x4-yellow-tang-package-small-size-approx-1-2-each-saltwater-fish-marine-fish-packages.jpg
That is easily a 2-300+ gallon tank. And it’s a temporary holding tank. Not even remotely the same thing.
 
Fish stores do stuff like you see in this image all the time. If you ask me it's not fair to be pilling on this reefer for trying to give this fish a home. He's on here genuinely asking for advice and he's getting berated by most people on here.
x4-yellow-tang-package-small-size-approx-1-2-each-saltwater-fish-marine-fish-packages.jpg
You see 12 purples in there with the yellows? I don't see any gems either. The fish are not compatible.

Trying to help is not working so I'm out...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would just keep doing what your doing for now and just be planning for a upgrade sooner then later or Rehome in the future
 
What can I say things work out for some people. My buddy has a tank with a gem,purple, 2 yellows and 20+ other fish and it works. Some people got it some people don't. Anyway time to move on. Thanks for sharing! And don't let ehm keep you from the site. "Constructive criticism is better than negativity"
 
The whole point of my post was to gain a little knowledge and get better at keeping livestock. Yes, it is not an ideal setup with these fish, (got it) and when they begin to fight (if) or when I see that they are oversized for the tank I will address that when it comes. at this point, it is not an issue, really just looking for I guess a time frame when this may occur. And yes maybe I will upgrade to a larger tank, I'll see. For now, in my ignorant experience, they seem happy and are not having any of the visual issues/signs that I'm hearing about (for now), again I will remove the fish when this happens.
Cool, so you ask for advice, ignore it largely...well entirely actually, and want to be Captain Experiment, at the expense of the fishes health. Your thread is ridiculous. You are either one talented troll or completely obtuse. Either way you got what you wanted....
 
You see 12 purples in there with the yellows? I don't see any gems either. The fish are not compatible.

Trying to help is not working so I'm out...
Me too. Ron White said it best.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top