Throwback Thursday: What was your most memorable reefkeeping 'oops' moment?

Flooding the laundry room where my RODI unit is setup... I've lost count how many times now. Wife just laughs at me now. :confused-face:
I've come close to doing this a few times, except mine is in my bathroom downstairs in a cabinet haha.
 
My most boneheaded moment was during my first year in reefing (I had lots of boneheaded moments that year...I still have them...but thankfully, they are fewer and farther between). I was dosing something (can't remember what) by hand, and I was also drinking a starbucks coffee. I got distracted in conversation and dosed my latte into the tank instead of what I meant to dose.

No ill effects thankfully, but my fish were wide-eyed, swimming faster, and seemed a bit jittery for a few hours. :face-with-tears-of-joy: :winking-face:
I guess it was better than you drinking the dosing.
 
So many ….
1) trusting a lfs foe advice
2) leaving the rodi running all night
3) transfer everything to a new tank and
Even added some of the gross sand from the 10 year old system

Instant crash . Killed everything
 
Flooded the bathroom with RODI when a float switch failed and ended up having to replace the entire floor. Years later, I've got a unit plumbed in directly and a mixing station
 
Making salt water a day in advance but forgetting the most crucial part… the salt and not realizing it until after I’ve added it to the tank after a big water change… luckily I realized it right the time of completely filling it up‍♂️‍♂️
 
My first water change… didn’t know to disable the ATO and had a bit of a salinity swing with all of that fresh water flowing in. Lost a Duncan after that, the heads just started to deteriorate. Not sure if it was due to the salinity issue or coincidental.
 
7 years ago I accidentally dumped the entire load of pellets of an Apex auto-feeder into my 165 gallon reef tank. Kept the flow up and netted as much as I could for the next 2 hours. Thought I was going to have a heart attack.
 
Topping off doser containers and pouring calcium in to the alkalinity chamber, instant milk.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top