Hmmmm…. I personally don’t see any issues with people experimenting with all of the various devices you mentioned. It is hobby but I do have issue with people killing the animals because of experimenting, the corals did not go in the tank voluntarily.
Also if you feel that grabbing algae, lights (adjusting lights) , adding all types of potions (iron, manganese, PO4/NO4 like a mad scientist) is fun all the power to you as long as your coral are well and puffy. It is your sand box and I have no right to tell you how to do it.
I have been in this hobby for only 5 years (add 1 when I did some reading on what to do). I do like to follow KISS principles and while I tried fuge it just did not work out for me and I have closet full of other reefing tools that do not work. Unfortunately for many you have to try to figure out if it works or not.
But pictures are worth 1000 words:
Nutrition levels:
Some corals in my tank:
As for filtration I use Skimmer and activated carbon (50ml changed every 4 weeks).
I don’t have Fuge, fleece roller, sock, algae scrubbber, GFO, aluminum absorber etc… etc… As mentioned KISS principle.
But I try to have as much as possible the most important filter CORALS (coral mass) and I am happy to learn that skimmer is only 30% effective. That leaves more food for corals and that is my end goal.
Cheers