To Skim or not to skim?

I use a skimmer. In my mature system, I run it so dry that it doesn't produce much skimmate. I have been tempted to take it out. I think maybe the corals, sponges, and all the other stuff in the tank are using/binding most of the available organics and reducing the need to skim.
What do you mean by run it dry?
 
My big boy:

skimmer5.jpg
Man no skimmate in the country with that thing. Stick it in the ocean and they will be clean!
 
My big boy:

skimmer5.jpg
I love recirculating skimmers. I keep my old Reef Octo 150 NWS External Recirculating skimmer around just in case I decide to start a new tank. It is old, and ugly, and noisy, and inefficient but it will skim as well as any skimmer I've used, and it is infinitely adjustable, cares less about water level, and and maintains its adjusted level through power outages and other on/off cycles.
 
My main tank is running on a Vertex Alpha 200. It has a recirculating CO2 scrubber to boost pH (8.2-8.4 atm). It’s been great - I can feed heavy without worrying. The second tank is running with just a fuge + Chaeto, no skimmer.

Both tanks are running w/o WCs. I don’t think that a skimmer is necessary if I don’t chase pH.
 
What do you mean by run it dry?
That means I lower the water level inside the skimmer so that the foam is very dry by the time it enters the cup. This reduces the efficiency of the skimmer some without turning it on and off.
 
That means I lower the water level inside the skimmer so that the foam is very dry by the time it enters the cup. This reduces the efficiency of the skimmer some without turning it on and off.
I run “dry” if I’m out of town for a week - keep my pH up and to slow down RODI intake w/o worrying about overflow, which won’t happen now that I have a safety sensor.
 
I run one but for completely different reason than it’s original design. I have a small bio load and with a filter roller the need to quote skim is obsolete for me. However, like others have said, for oxygenation/ph. It’s really just a giant air stone and the cup might fill up every several months or so. They need a different term associated with them, like a refugium. Is it a refuge for more sensitive inhabitants or an algae farm? Skimmer or air injection pump?
 
That means I lower the water level inside the skimmer so that the foam is very dry by the time it enters the cup. This reduces the efficiency of the skimmer some without turning it on and off.
Mine has the little valve on it that allows me to lower the level. Assuming thats how you are doing it? Not changing water levels in the chamber or raising the skimmer?
 
I run one but for completely different reason than it’s original design. I have a small bio load and with a filter roller the need to quote skim is obsolete for me. However, like others have said, for oxygenation/ph. It’s really just a giant air stone and the cup might fill up every several months or so. They need a different term associated with them, like a refugium. Is it a refuge for more sensitive inhabitants or an algae farm? Skimmer or air injection pump?
lol - if your collection cup has a bottom drain, why not just open that up and don’t have to empty that cup ever again?
 
I run “dry” if I’m out of town for a week - keep my pH up and to slow down RODI intake w/o worrying about overflow, which won’t happen now that I have a safety sensor.
My skimmer is internal so I just let if overflow if I'm away. When that happens it just produces a foam that pushes the cup lid up. From there the foam just slowly slides down the side of the cup and skimmer body. I'm usually not gone long enough for very much to make it back into the sump.
Mine has the little valve on it that allows me to lower the level. Assuming thats how you are doing it? Not changing water levels in the chamber or raising the skimmer?
Correct. Changing the water level inside the skimmer with the valve.
 
My skimmer is internal so I just let if overflow if I'm away. When that happens it just produces a foam that pushes the cup lid up. From there the foam just slowly slides down the side of the cup and skimmer body. I'm usually not gone long enough for very much to make it back into the sump.

Correct. Changing the water level inside the skimmer with the valve.
Thanks I am super new and learning.
 
I hope all recirculating CO2 scrubber users out there have a fail-safe way to prevent skimmer overflow; otherwise, it’s going to be a total tank crash if dumping all that media into the tank!
 
lol - if your collection cup has a bottom drain, why not just open that up and don’t have to empty that cup ever again?
I probably should. I just figure as nasty as it is that I should just let it fill up eventually. Probably just programmed habit more than anything. I would probably short circuit knowing the drain is open and returning to the sump! Ha
 
3 systems 3 skimmers.
My nano is a 2" diy air driven skimmer.
My 45 is a Tunze 9410dc.
My 80+30 system, 120 total, runs a Tunze 9430dc.

Tunze are very under rated skimmers, imo.
They have anti overflow, are silent, and just skim.
I like the cup thats attached to the neck. When its time to clean the unit just lifts off.

From.my expeience Tunze skimmers are as set and forget as they come.
 
Nobody has to skim, but I do it because I am cheap and lazy. I run many skimmers on all of my tanks, actually. Otherwise, I have to figure out gas exchange, get some reactors and media and stuff to make sure that harsh metals leave the tank and then also worry about organic accumulation somehow. Even if you don't skim, you have to do all of these things over the long term.
 
3 systems 3 skimmers.
My nano is a 2" diy air driven skimmer.
My 45 is a Tunze 9410dc.
My 80+30 system, 120 total, runs a Tunze 9430dc.

Tunze are very under rated skimmers, imo.
They have anti overflow, are silent, and just skim.
I like the cup thats attached to the neck. When its time to clean the unit just lifts off.

From.my expeience Tunze skimmers are as set and forget as they come.
PXL_20220206_170946448.jpg

Tunze fan here too. Super underrated!
 
My big boy:

skimmer5.jpg

When my EuroReef grows up, it wants to be just like that! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I purchased new in the early 90's and have had no need to change. I did upgrade the pump from the Sedra 3500 to a VarioS-2S with good results. The skimmer collects an amazing amount of crap and helps keep pH stable. I employ a heavy-in, heavy-out protocol to keep the fish and Acropora happy. Usually, the skimmer cup is cleaned about every 2-3 days.

sump4.jpg
 
Recently upgraded from skimz due to pump going bad and being obsolete to reef octopus 300ss internal and absolutely love it
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top