Tommi tang went south super fast

Sagess

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 7, 2021
Messages
32
Reaction score
11
Location
Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing heavily no distinct marks. Threw in air stone to try and increase oxygen levels. Have ran mutiple water tests and all water conditions are perfect

B1687FF2-116C-4688-B3AC-FB16FCD4CD63.jpeg
 
How long have you had the fish? How long has the tank been established? Have you added anything new to the tank in the last month? What other fish are in with this one?
 
Can you give a full tank picture please? While it can be velvet, flukes in gills, there could be other issues as well.

Edit: I am asking because, we did have an issue before with red slime and a sailfin tang. The red slime was probably consuming most of the oxygen (maybe) after the guy did a full clean up, the tang was able to ease up on breathing.
 
New new additions. He's been in the tank 4 weeks. Other fish are algae blenny, one clownfish, royally and a fire fish
 
Here is the tank
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 46
Can you give a full tank picture please? While it can be velvet, flukes in gills, there could be other issues as well.

Edit: I am asking because, we did have an issue before with red slime and a sailfin tang. The red slime was probably consuming most of the oxygen (maybe) after the guy did a full clean up, the tang was able to ease up on breathing.
I did have a huge algae bloom that was horrible that I just finally cleared. Any tips for getting more oxygen. Right now I have the tang up in a net with an air stone. I don't have time to set up my other tank, because I have class in 30 mins
 
There is also no distinct markings or white spots on him.
 
I did have a huge algae bloom that was horrible that I just finally cleared. Any tips for getting more oxygen. Right now I have the tang up in a net with an air stone. I don't have time to set up my other tank, because I have class in 30 mins
I wouldn't have the tang in the net. I don't know how common it is, but tangs are super fine scaled and can snag their gills on the mesh. Causing injury. Keep the air stone going.

Do you have a protein skimmer? That' is a big help.

Looks like there is a lot of surface movement.


Post the information in accordance to that thread. Jay may have a better idea what is going on, I can't say for sure since there's no physical markings.
 
I would remove the fish from the net ASAP, only causing stress at this point. If the fish cannot be removed and placed elsewhere for treatment, leave the air stone running, monitor its eating habits, and just wait…
 
I wouldn't have the tang in the net. I don't know how common it is, but tangs are super fine scaled and can snag their gills on the mesh. Causing injury. Keep the air stone going.

Do you have a protein skimmer? That' is a big help.

Looks like there is a lot of surface movement.


Post the information in accordance to that thread. Jay may have a better idea what is going on, I can't say for sure since there's no physical markings.
I do have a protein skimmer as well. Like I said my water is near perfect. All my other fish are good and there's no distinct marks. He's just breathing heavy and not moving
 
Here is a video
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5344.MOV
    10.8 MB
I counted around 40 gill beats in 11 seconds. Hope I am wrong. I don't know what to do for the fish.

Hopefully Jay will have some insight. This fish doesn't look like he's going to survive the day.
 
I counted around 40 gill beats in 11 seconds. Hope I am wrong. I don't know what to do for the fish.

Hopefully Jay will have some insight. This fish doesn't look like he's going to survive the day.
yeah I don't think he will. I don't know what else to do other than potentially doing a fresh water dip. I can set up a quarantine tank but it wouldn't be until noon my time so I'm 3 hours
 
How would I post this information that jay would be able to see
 
Post the information in this thread. He is most likely busy, but will read these.

@Jay Hemdal

I tagged him for you. He may not be able to see the video, though. Some can, some can't
 
Post the information in this thread. He is most likely busy, but will read these.

@Jay Hemdal

I tagged him for you. He may not be able to see the video, though. Some can, some can't
Thank you tons I appreciate you workin with me. I can setup a 5 gallon bucket and do that right now until I can get my full qt tank setup after class.
 
Whatever you can do to get the qt going. I don't know what meds will be best in this situation. If it is velvet, or some kind or effect from cyanide poisoning.

Edit: I would believe the fish would be dead sooner, if collected by cyanide. I don't know much about the long term effect, if there are any.
 
Here is a video
Whatever you can do to get the qt going. I don't know what meds will be best in this situation. If it is velvet, or some kind or effect from cyanide poisoning.

Edit: I would believe the fish would be dead sooner, if collected by cyanide. I don't know much about the long term effect, if there are any.
He just past away when I was about to move in over. I'm going to have to look later today to see what the heck happened.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top