Too Stir or Not Stir Up Sand Bed?

I recommend spot siphoning in lieu of stirring as you can create a dust storm effect onto corals and release undesirable gases
 
I have a shallow sandbed and this may be my imagination or anedoctal experience, but the rare times (once every few months) I deep vacuum my sandbed, I get algae bloom the next week.

What do you think of that guys? Do you reckon its a direct relation due to poop buildup in the sand?
I had been debating about taking down our tank (180) for the last several years and before that it was mostly ignored. In other words it was a complete mess. We had our house tented on December 9th and took everything out except for about 1/3 of the rock. After going thru that I decided to keep the tank. Before putting everything back in we vacuumed the sand bed which is about 2"+ and I mean completely vacuumed it to the bottom and every square inch. I have yet to see any algae and I don't think that I will so I'm thinking it must be something else or is your tank fairly new?
 
Here’s twenty pages of successful no event sand stirring plus clean sandbeds


they aren’t stirring dirty beds, they started stirring a clean new bed and it never went bad
 
I had been debating about taking down our tank (180) for the last several years and before that it was mostly ignored. In other words it was a complete mess. We had our house tented on December 9th and took everything out except for about 1/3 of the rock. After going thru that I decided to keep the tank. Before putting everything back in we vacuumed the sand bed which is about 2"+ and I mean completely vacuumed it to the bottom and every square inch. I have yet to see any algae and I don't think that I will so I'm thinking it must be something else or is your tank fairly new?

My tank is slightly older than 1 year. Not sure if that's still considered new?

Perhaps the vacuuming is the last straw, just enough to push the nutrient threshold over the brink to cause the bloom.
 
My tank is slightly older than 1 year. Not sure if that's still considered new?

Perhaps the vacuuming is the last straw, just enough to push the nutrient threshold over the brink to cause the bloom.
I would still consider it fairly new. It's established, but not as established as one thats been up a running for a long time. Maybe I was just lucky because I really expected to have to deal with some issues.
 
Keep you hand out of the tank. Vacuum during water change and don't do anything else.
 
I have a Marineland Magnum HOT filter that I have the gravel vacuum attachment that I use to vacuum my e-260 once a month. Helps keep the sand clean and significantly reduces algae outbreaks. Unfortunately, Marineland has discontinued this filter and cannot find parts for it anymore. I can still get the micron filters though. I wish they would come out with another version as I think it would sell.
 
Not by you. There are animals that will stir up the sand some and keep it clean and others that just help clean it up. You can vacuum the very top layer of it if you want/need to. But dont just sick your hands in there and stir it up on purpose especially if it's a deep sand bed - 4+ inches deep
I did this and I think it nuked my tank. What's the science here. What can I measure to prove it?
 
I did this and I think it nuked my tank. What's the science here. What can I measure to prove it?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a result of the denitrification process. Anaerobic bacteria break down nitrates into hydrogen sulfide gas, then into hydrogen gas and other by-products that slowly gas out of your water safely. Stirring can release the hydrogen sulfide in high concentrations very quickly and kill everything.
 
A shallow sandbed cannot accomplish what a deep sand bed can therefore keeping it clean is a better way to go In my opinion
amen keep a shallow sand bed clean and stirred regularly
and never touch a deep sand bed !!!!!
 
You can suck the bad stuff out from time to time but not more than half, stirring just spreading out the bad guys IMM.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top