Trying to raise Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya part1

Food in liquid form 1/4 cup, had fish chum I made and everything else I mention in thread . Enough to effect corals. Still water perimeters. No3-0 pho4-0, no2-0, hoping to ride it out, because water perimeters not showing increase levels. I think dissolved oxygen depletion happened. Not good
 
Last edited:
Any ideas on Rotifers for Dendronepthya? Have anyone tried? Or have you seen any articles investigating the gut content? Any other zooplanktons? My guess is that it's too big, but now I can't find where I read about it..
We have both frozen and live rotifers, but I don't want to use it if they won't eat it :)

The Synechoccocus will come today or tomorrow and the Dendros will come next week. Will try to get some old dosingpumps working again for autofeeding. Not sure exactly how I will do with the Cyanobacteria, maybe keep them in the fridge, and just add daily to a container (not in the fridge) with airbubbles which will be used up during 24 hours. Dosed by dosingpump. Goal is to have a stable concentration in the tank anyway.

The EasyBooster is great, it's in a 1500ml package and ready to connect directly to a dosing pump. Works like a box of wine. Doesn't need to be in the fridge. Great stuff! :)

Hope everything worked out after yesterdays feeding incident.

/ David
 
Any ideas on Rotifers for Dendronepthya? Have anyone tried? Or have you seen any articles investigating the gut content? Any other zooplanktons? My guess is that it's too big, but now I can't find where I read about it..
We have both frozen and live rotifers, but I don't want to use it if they won't eat it :)

The Synechoccocus will come today or tomorrow and the Dendros will come next week. Will try to get some old dosingpumps working again for autofeeding. Not sure exactly how I will do with the Cyanobacteria, maybe keep them in the fridge, and just add daily to a container (not in the fridge) with airbubbles which will be used up during 24 hours. Dosed by dosingpump. Goal is to have a stable concentration in the tank anyway.

The EasyBooster is great, it's in a 1500ml package and ready to connect directly to a dosing pump. Works like a box of wine. Doesn't need to be in the fridge. Great stuff! :)

Hope everything worked out after yesterdays feeding incident.

/ David
There is an article, search Dendronephthya diet in Red Sea. It mentioned that mainly (5 different)phytoplankton found in their gut. I don't remember if Dr. Katharina Fabricius wrote it?

Not good after I accidentally spilled too much food. About the rotifers, I'd get rotifer, sieve, put in a blender with some very small fish, or squid , etc.. (asian market ), blend. Use liquid to help keep dendronephthya open to eat. Anything large put in blender(like rotifers), make into puree like . I've noticed they open with right liquid foods, our little secret. In future try to setup a small tank filled with chum(liquid only) like foods for them just noticeable cloudy water, keep in there 1 or 2 week to feed heavily and hopefully reduce stress of shipping. I checked that easy-booster, nice. I'll be trying soon. Eventually I'm getting an algae centrifugal to separate the algae I culture. Little hint, there's natural foods out there, loaded with amino acids, vitamins that don't effects water perimeters . And Dendronephthya (and pods do too)love it. That's all I'm spilling for now.

I ordered rotifer cysts, to start culture., my first thread on Dendronepthya is when I used them ,
might of helped.

Send pictures of new dendronephthya. Very nice. In my lab (aka garage) going to build 400gal. Plywood tank(for dendronephthya ). To expensive to buy the tank I need. Dimensions of height 42", width 30", length 70". When summer ends here hopefully up and cycling .
 
Last edited:
I ordered Paracoccus bacteria, AcroNem recommended it. Keep all posted.

One issue I'm having is my 30gal. Half moon. I can't do linear flow, so in my lab (aka garage ) I will be able to. I just added a eflux wavemaker because better control of water motion. I have another one coming. Better control, but not linear motion.

One more thing, you probably know this. Dendronephthya are very sensitive to changes. Examples the spilled food. Odd thing, I kept checking NO2 & NO3 no change. Disolved oxygen depletion, I think.
 
Last edited:
Checked oysters in DT, and soon in refugium. Still going strong.

20180523_064553.jpg
 
The first 1-3 weeks, critical, if polyps have slow atrophy. There somewhat done. Will thive but not look good.Don't get discouraged, it may happens,it may not. I keep trying . Someday hopefully different.
 
Last edited:
I ordered Paracoccus bacteria, AcroNem recommended it. Keep all posted.

One issue I'm having is my 30gal. Half moon. I can't do linear flow, so in my lab (aka garage ) I will be able to. I just added a eflux wavemaker because better control of water motion. I have another one coming. Better control, but not linear motion.

One more thing, you probably know this. Dendronephthya are very sensitive to changes. Examples the spilled food. Odd thing, I kept checking NO2 & NO3 no change. Disolved oxygen depletion, I think.

About the changes, that's one of the reasons I want a large system. Not a large tank for the Dendros, but to take care of the extra nutriets put in to them. We've used our 12000 litre reef system to breed cuttlefish, Sepia bandensis, for some time. They eat a lot! But hardly no changes in nutrients in the whole system. So adding extra food for filter feeders whould not be a big problem for us I think, since we don't have that many Cuttlefish right now.

Yes, Spirulina is a cyano to.

I'm still looking around for a place in Sweden to buy Paracoccus bacteria! Hope to try also.

About the feeding, I still want to try mostly bacteria, phyto, cyano. I have no idea if it'll work, but I want to see the results. So not very heavy feeding. And I will have stony hermatypic corals like Acropora in the same tank. Maybe they will do well with some food as well :)

/ David
 
I remember reading a paper that mentioned a small amount of copepod nauplii being captured, not a lot on rotifers though. I do feed rotifers to my NPS systems but I don't believe they're captured by Dendronephthya or Scleronephthya in any quantity.
 
I bought Paracoccus bacteria from brine shrimp direct. I also bought rotifer cysts from there when I can. Their honest.

Bacteria, should be one of the keys. That's why I blend whole fishes, for one reason the bacteria.
At one time I was trying to buy fish from red sea (not ornamental type) for the bacteria and phytoplankton. Having been able to import yet. I'll keep trying .

Thanks all for info
 
Last edited:
I bought Paracoccus bacteria from brine shrimp direct. I also bought rotifer cysts from there when I can. Their honest.

Bacteria, should be one of the keys. That's why I blend whole fishes, for one reason the bacteria.
At one time I was trying to buy fish from red sea (not ornamental type) for the bacteria and phytoplankton. Having been able to import yet. I'll keep trying .

Thanks all for info
I remember reading a paper that mentioned a small amount of copepod nauplii being captured, not a lot on rotifers though. I do feed rotifers to my NPS systems but I don't believe they're captured by Dendronephthya or Scleronephthya in any quantity.

Anyone knows of a European distributor of Paracoccus?

/ David
 
Anyone knows of a European distributor of Paracoccus?

/ David

I do not, but I'd contact Brine Shrimp Direct (where I get it) and see if they are able to ship their powder to you.

Between Diatoms and types of bacteria I've seen the most success with a lot of the "impossible" to keep selective feeders, I'm really thinking they are part of the dietary needs that were lacking in the past.
 
Any ideas on Rotifers for Dendronepthya? Have anyone tried? Or have you seen any articles investigating the gut content? Any other zooplanktons? My guess is that it's too big, but now I can't find where I read about it..
We have both frozen and live rotifers, but I don't want to use it if they won't eat it :)

The Synechoccocus will come today or tomorrow and the Dendros will come next week. Will try to get some old dosingpumps working again for autofeeding. Not sure exactly how I will do with the Cyanobacteria, maybe keep them in the fridge, and just add daily to a container (not in the fridge) with airbubbles which will be used up during 24 hours. Dosed by dosingpump. Goal is to have a stable concentration in the tank anyway.

The EasyBooster is great, it's in a 1500ml package and ready to connect directly to a dosing pump. Works like a box of wine. Doesn't need to be in the fridge. Great stuff! :)

Hope everything worked out after yesterdays feeding incident.

/ David

411, brine shrimp direct called me about my order when delivered. And I asked if they ship to Sweden. They said yes they can. Fyi
 
411, brine shrimp direct called me about my order when delivered. And I asked if they ship to Sweden. They said yes they can. Fyi
Thanks a lot! I'll check it out :)
 
In a few minutes, you'll see here at REEF2REEF. Video of Coral carousel. If I can't bring linear wave motion to my corals. I'll bring my corals to it. The corals spin slowly, 360. For real.

Hope you like.

Video is about 5 minutes
 
An interesting idea. Can it go faster? Ideal is from 10-40cm/s for Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya.
 
I
An interesting idea. Can it go faster? Ideal is from 10-40cm/s for Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya.
Have eflux wavemakers , so I can control flow of H2O. Because of tank design.Drastic measures call for drastic action . Now any corals on carousel can't say they didn't get feed enough and didn't get right flow. LOL

Other dendros didn't make it. Back to the drawing board.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top