Ugly stage-diatom or Dino ?!

I’ll just say I’ve had Dino’s a few times and they look very much the same. The most recent bout I had with them was when my tank was cycling. And yes i did have NO3 and PO4.
 
Hmmmm… both Dino’s and diatoms feed off light! They normally disappear at night and come out to play when the lights are on… you could also have a mix of cyano and diatoms giving you that thicker mat appearance… microscope is really only the true answer here unfortunately
Yea I will be fix this pm with my friend microscope! I'm really hoping it's not Dino in any way.. if is that what a bad start of a reef tank :'(
 
Yea I will be fix this pm with my friend microscope! I'm really hoping it's not Dino in any way.. if is that what a bad start of a reef tank :'(
Well once it’s identified it’s much easier to fight no matter what it is..
 
Here is an awesome guide on what you are looking at. It's the PDF in the OP.

 
Ok guys the result with microscope! Think I'm safe, it's only diatom ! What you all think ?!!
 

Attachments

  • 20240221_160725.jpg
    20240221_160725.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 94
Another picture (think it's better)
 

Attachments

  • 20240221_161000.jpg
    20240221_161000.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 91
This one is amazing. Used it on my tank water just because but bought it for my daughter. What I saw was just cool as hell. Stuff you would never see with the eye. Worth the buy if you can.

71hWLhjPIiL._AC_SX569_.jpg
Had to look it up. Not bad for $120.
 
Def possible… wouldn’t be able to tell unless you put it under a microscope.. my last battle with Dino’s looked identical to his tank and it sucked! lol… if my new tank got that I might just hang up my gloves.. it’s too big to fight that battle and win! :expressionless-face:
IMG_7744.jpeg
IMG_7929.jpeg
You know many types of dinos are in our tank right? Almost all good except for 3.....dang
 
Another picture (think it's better)
And in a couple months you will have a GHA jungle like the rest of us had. What a great fun hobby....will just make the thrill of victory more sweet in the end.
 
And in a couple months you will have a GHA jungle like the rest of us had. What a great fun hobby....will just make the thrill of victory more sweet in the end.
And then you try to eliminate the Gha jungle and get to fight for half a year dinos and you celebrate when you see diatoms again. And all of a sudden there ain't a speckle of noticeable algae around anymore.
 
And then you try to eliminate the Gha jungle and get to fight for half a year dinos and you celebrate when you see diatoms again. And all of a sudden there ain't a speckle of noticeable algae around anymore.
I'm afraid now
 
And then you try to eliminate the Gha jungle and get to fight for half a year dinos and you celebrate when you see diatoms again. And all of a sudden there ain't a speckle of noticeable algae around anymore.
Exactly and the mess gets replaced with coralline.
 
Definitely looks like diatoms my tank is two months old and had that on the live rock right around the 4 weeks mark. Now it’s gone mostly and green hair algae has taken its place.
 
I'm afraid now
The joys of having a reef tank. Just remember there is no quick fix for a problem in a reef tank. If you have a problem research and ask questions and take your time to find the solution. Quick cure products usually just cause other problems.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top