Ultra Reef Akula Skimmer Review

Thank you very much.
 
Which size(s) of the Ultra Reef Skimmers will be appropriate for my Red Sea Reefer 250 (65 total gallons)? I'm looking at the UKS 120, 160 and 180 as options. The front section of my sump area is 10"x13"x 25.5" tall. Also, will it function fine without the controller option?
 
Which size(s) of the Ultra Reef Skimmers will be appropriate for my Red Sea Reefer 250 (65 total gallons)? I'm looking at the UKS 120, 160 and 180 as options. The front section of my sump area is 10"x13"x 25.5" tall. Also, will it function fine without the controller option?
You could go with the UKB-120 or the UKS-160. Don't get the 180 but I thought I answered that in an earlier PM.
 
the standard AC UKS 200 would work for just over 700, then there's the DC version below (just over 900) which can handle more volume since you can run it wider open and adjust the pump. lastly the typhoon series which are over a grand. you'll need more sump room for the typhoon.


1723126288514.png
 
the standard AC UKS 200 would work for just over 700, then there's the DC version below (just over 900) which can handle more volume since you can run it wider open and adjust the pump. lastly the typhoon series which are over a grand. you'll need more sump room for the typhoon.


1723126288514.png
Exactly. The 200DC will take care of you tank just fine. We have one of these on a 300 gallon farm tank. We have a lot of tangs and other fish in the tank with a bunch of the corals. The tank is 8' x 4' and it has a large sump with the UKS-200 keeping up just fine. Maybe I should post a video clip?
 
By the way, the AC models are all going away. We only have the UKS-180 AC model left in inventory and it's on sale until they are gone. All Ultra Reef skimmers will be DC for the foreseeable future.
 
I think you trade quiet for long term reliability. AC Sicce pumps are bulletproof. Thus far my DC unit has been but there are more points of failure.
They have a solid warranty if you have any issues and we stock parts for Ultra Reef and if we are every out of stock on a critical component then we air ship them in from Italy.
 
Is there much of a difference?
I've owned several DC skimmers and return pumps but never the Sicce SDC. I've read of some issues (mostly controllers) but not a ton. As stated, they have a nice warranty but unless you have a back up, if you have an issue it's always a PIA having to send something back for repair. their AC pumps are solid and i've never had an issue with mine. very quiet too. Only thing i wish ultrareef would have done is to design a bit larger needle wheel on the Akulas. the pump volute and body could handle it.
 
I've owned several DC skimmers and return pumps but never the Sicce SDC. I've read of some issues (mostly controllers) but not a ton. As stated, they have a nice warranty but unless you have a back up, if you have an issue it's always a PIA having to send something back for repair. their AC pumps are solid and i've never had an issue with mine. very quiet too. Only thing i wish ultrareef would have done is to design a bit larger needle wheel on the Akulas. the pump volute and body could handle it.
We don't play the repair game with Ultra Reef. We send a new part and you send us the old one back if it's under warranty.
 
Any ideas for which model and size I should go with for a 200 gallon total tank?
I love my ultra reef skimmer--my only constructive feedback on them:

If you have the space, consider getting one with an external pump. It'd make maintaining it so much easier. Perhaps the UKD-200 for your size tank.

I have the ultra reef UKS-160 (AC model) and it is super easy to take apart, but I hate the way the volute screws onto the front of the pump (Not ultra reef's fault, it's a sicce pump). I always fumble around trying to get the 3 locking tabs and screw hole to line up with the needle wheel.

The external pump models look like they would be a DREAM to service as the have the nice tool-less disassembly feature with the locking ring.

You'll seriously love these skimmers though, the removable center of the collection cup is brilliant and they are built like they could be explosion proof.

I do wish they would make one in gray or black PVC though as the white tends to show more coralline/ & tank crud, but that's just being nit picky.
 
I've had Deltec and LifeReef skimmers in the past - currently just started using a UKS-160 and I also love the way the center of the collection cup is removeable. Makes it so easy to get everything cleaned out. I could never get everything quite clean in my other skimmers.

I also think a grey pvc version would be a good idea.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top