Using Dino X (Ultra Algea X) to solve GHA

  • Thread starter Thread starter VJV
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
It seems that the tips of some algae have started to whiten up. If this does not work I will just zap them with peroxide again.
 
I'm on the day after the 6th dose and this is what I have to report:

1 - no new growth of algae
2 - some of the algae patches are going whitish

On the negative side,

1 - I had to take out my elegance coral as it was completely shriveled up
2 - today (day 13, after 6 doses) I have a bunch of dead cerith snails.
3 - the algae that existed is not gone. As I said above, it is beginning to look whitish here and there, but it is not clearly retreating.

Overall, I expected a bit more from DinoX. I will finish with the 10 doses and probably will not be using it again.
 
Update: yesterday dosed my 7th dose and today my Lysmata shrimp is dead... This after the cerith snails started to drop like flies... [emoji34]

I guess I am going to cut this experiment short. Overall I am disappointed with the product. Algae is looking weak but it is not gone. And this in a tank that has not been fed in over two months. One dose with H2O2 did in 1h what two rounds of DinoX did not.

Maybe with other algae types this product would work better.
 
Update: yesterday dosed my 7th dose and today my Lysmata shrimp is dead... This after the cerith snails started to drop like flies... [emoji34]

I guess I am going to cut this experiment short. Overall I am disappointed with the product. Algae is looking weak but it is not gone. And this in a tank that has not been fed in over two months. One dose with H2O2 did in 1h what two rounds of DinoX did not.

Maybe with other algae types this product would work better.

Sorry to hear it did't work out well for you. I used quite successfully Din-X to battle red hair algae (red cotton algae) which troubled me for over a year. After 5 days of treatment with Dino-X algae was all gone. No affect on the corals or fish. The only loss is a wurdemany shrimp. Now tank is going through small cycle but that should be over soon.
 
It is a pity. I had high hopes and do like the Fauna Marin products. But as you will see from the thread i used it twice and it did not get rid of the algae. During this second time i had no fish in the tank so no nutrients being added, and even though algae did not grow, it did not disapear either. I even did manual dosing with a serynge instead of auto dosing as the first time, in order to avoid any sort of contamination from the tubes or degradation of the product inside the dosing tube.

Not sure why but my system seems to be very very good fir GHA.

Anyway, glad it worked for you.
 
I guess i dont understand how this product works. I bought a bottle and it says to use for 2 days and you guys are talking much longer than that. Anyway, i dosed this for 2 days and it did nothing for the algae in my picture. This algae only grows on the front of the sand bed and nothing else, and i mean nothing. But its driving me nuts. Other thing i tested a little high was nitrates and mag.

image.jpeg
 
FM recommendation for Dino-X is to do the treatment every second day but for no more than 21 days.
I had excellent result using the product against red cotton algae, on 5th treatment it was 100% gone and never came back. Other people complain on no success against RHA. I guess the product is not working on all type of algae so it is a matter of luck.
 
As per above. Dose every 2 days, by no more than 21 days in a row. Basically that means that you can go so far as doing 10 treatments in a row. At the end of this period you can do a water change (no water changes during treatment) amd add carbon.

Also need to take out carbon, any phosphate reducing media, and stop dosing supplements including any for of carbon dosing (vodka, vsv, NOPOX,...)

Also recommended to skim wet.
 
@Pola0502ds If that is all the algae you are trying to get rid of, I would not use Dino X. The product is intended for moderate to severe cases of algae problems. Rather than continuing the dosages, test all your levels, see what needs adjusting, and if you're dosing other supplements such as foods, trace elements, etc., look into adjusting those dosages.

We do have our full instruction manual published on our website:

www.faunamarin.de
 
Thank you. The bottle I received must have the directions cut off. All it says is "Dose all 2 days" and thats it.
 
@Pola0502ds If that is all the algae you are trying to get rid of, I would not use Dino X. The product is intended for moderate to severe cases of algae problems. Rather than continuing the dosages, test all your levels, see what needs adjusting, and if you're dosing other supplements such as foods, trace elements, etc., look into adjusting those dosages.

We do have our full instruction manual published on our website:

www.faunamarin.de


Can you provide I direct link? I cannot find Dino-X and most of it is not in english.
 
The manual says 15 doses for “other algae” but only to dose 10 times in 21 days.... does this mean to run carbon and a water change after 10 doses... then run the additional 5 doses?
This means 1 full treatment period, 2 week break, water change, then 5 doses of the second treatment.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top