Velvet Wiping Out My Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jinxs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Jinxs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 31, 2017
Messages
74
Reaction score
42
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to this site. I hate that this is my first post here but here goes.
Tank Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
PH: 7.8
Temp: 82 F
55 gallon FOWLR 2 years old
This tank was stocked with a true percula, Midnight clownfish, Flame Fin Tomini tang, Coral Beauty Angel, black goby, and a white spotted dwarf puffer (Hawaii).
We thought we had an ich outbreak when I noticed white spots on our puffer. The only thing added to the tank in months had been a few hermits and a couple of snails. Anyway, 48 hours after showing symptoms of ich our puffer had died. He had been in our tank for 2 years with no issues. We had a mild ich outbreak a year ago but he wasn't affected. I didn't understand why he died so fast.
The next day our clowns start showing the white spots. I thought our tang was fine but she was swimming into the powerheaders. Having never dealt with velvet, I wasn't aware of this symptom or that velvet can also start with symptoms of small white dots all over the body. She died the next morning.
That made me realize we were not dealing with ich. That same day our true percula had developed a thick mucous from his gills and fins. We freshwater dipped our clowns and I had to drive multiple hours to find medication to fight off velvet. When I got back my percula was already dead. I could not get CP but did get acriflavine and cupramine plus all the necessary add-ons, including Furan-2.
Never having dealt with a serious marine disease before and already having both our tanks stocked (we also have a 29 gallon) and healthy, we don't have a QT. That was a very stupid mistake.
Now I'm setting up a QT but I'm not sure it will be enough to save the last 3 of my fish. I know now how very important that little step is. I've been treating with acriflavine since I can't dose my DT with copper (invertebrates).
So here's my question. How long do I have until the velvet cycle begins again and possibly kills my remaining fish? My angel and clown have mild symptoms of velvet and possibly ich as well. I bought Garlic Guard to try to get them to eat more but they're barely picking at their food.
Then here's a tip to people like me who don't think they need a QT. I promise you do. When you start losing your favorite fish, you'll wish you had one. Not to mention, brush up on marine diseases. I didn't and would have killed my fish faster because I planned on treating what I thought was ich with hypo salinity. Velvet is NOT affected by hypo. I would have stressed my fish more and for no reason. I've been learning a very hard and expensive lesson.
One last question. Can hermits and or snails carry velvet to a tank? There's no other way it could have been introduced to our system.
20170529_134720.jpg
20170529_131630.jpg
20170525_152438.jpg
 
Ok, first you are going to want to get that QT set-up ASAP.

Next, each fish will need a 5-minute fw dip, followed by a 75-90 minute acriflavine bath in a SEPARATE container (5 gallon bucket will do, with an airline and small heater to keep at temp/aerated) Use freshly mixed saltwater for the bath.

Last, you'll want to dose the QT tank with half of the therapeutic dose of copper. Tomorrow, you'll bring it the rest of the way to therapeutic. This is faster than optimal ramp up, but with velvet there's no time. Add the furan-2 to the QT as well, with the copper.

This is your best chance of saving them. Read here for more details, especially post #2 on emergency treatment:
Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Velvet-(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/

Move fast, don't wait. And good luck!

Ps. Keep the display tank fallow for 76 days after treatment. This will take care of your ich AND velvet.
 
Ok, first you are going to want to get that QT set-up ASAP.

Next, each fish will need a 5-minute fw dip, followed by a 75-90 minute acriflavine bath in a SEPARATE container (5 gallon bucket will do, with an airline and small heater to keep at temp/aerated) Use freshly mixed saltwater for the bath.

Last, you'll want to dose the QT tank with half of the therapeutic dose of copper. Tomorrow, you'll bring it the rest of the way to therapeutic. This is faster than optimal ramp up, but with velvet there's no time. Add the furan-2 to the QT as well, with the copper.

This is your best chance of saving them. Read here for more details, especially post #2 on emergency treatment:
I don't see a link. So I can use the antibiotic in conjunction with the cupramine? I was told I couldn't. That it would negate the therapeutic qualities of the copper.
Thank you for the fast response. We're doing everything we can at this point. If we had been more prepared, we would not be in this situation.
Also, all of the fish in the pictures were alive at the time of the pictures. The midnight clown is still alive. My puffer died 30 minutes after that photo.
 
I don't see a link. So I can use the antibiotic in conjunction with the cupramine? I was told I couldn't. That it would negate the therapeutic qualities of the copper.
Thank you for the fast response. We're doing everything we can at this point. If we had been more prepared, we would not be in this situation.
Also, all of the fish in the pictures were alive at the time of the pictures. The midnight clown is still alive. My puffer died 30 minutes after that photo.

Yes, the antibiotic is fine to use with cupramine. I'm using both in my own QT as we speak.

I added the link after the first post, sorry about that!
 
Ok, first you are going to want to get that QT set-up ASAP.

Next, each fish will need a 5-minute fw dip, followed by a 75-90 minute acriflavine bath in a SEPARATE container (5 gallon bucket will do, with an airline and small heater to keep at temp/aerated) Use freshly mixed saltwater for the bath.

Last, you'll want to dose the QT tank with half of the therapeutic dose of copper. Tomorrow, you'll bring it the rest of the way to therapeutic. This is faster than optimal ramp up, but with velvet there's no time. Add the furan-2 to the QT as well, with the copper.

This is your best chance of saving them. Read here for more details, especially post #2 on emergency treatment:
Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Velvet-(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/

Move fast, don't wait. And good luck!

Ps. Keep the display tank fallow for 76 days after treatment. This will take care of your ich AND velvet.

Agreed 100%
 
This is scary that something so deadly can pop up out of nowhere so quickly. Following in case something like this happens to me in the future. Good luck man.
 
This is scary that something so deadly can pop up out of nowhere so quickly. Following in case something like this happens to me in the future. Good luck man.
I'll keep everyone updated. It scares me too. I've lost half my fish in less than 72 hours. It literally came out of nowhere. Not to mention I thought it was ich. I completely misdiagnosed it until the 2nd fish died. If it hadn't been for that I would have thought it was some ridiculously lethal strain of ich.
 
This is scary that something so deadly can pop up out of nowhere so quickly. Following in case something like this happens to me in the future. Good luck man.
We've been working on this problem with this person for days on another forum.
 
I'll keep everyone updated. It scares me too. I've lost half my fish in less than 72 hours. It literally came out of nowhere. Not to mention I thought it was ich. I completely misdiagnosed it until the 2nd fish died. If it hadn't been for that I would have thought it was some ridiculously lethal strain of ich.
3d015b03752d3c627edb76a3781b6f38.jpg
I also thought I was dealing with ich until my white angler suddenly died with red skin (a symptom of velvet is discolored skin) and I wasn't seeing any improvement. I realized it was velvet and started treating. I also never QT'd anything, and it cost me a couple favorite fish.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Really sorry you are dealing with this. It is unfortunate that velvet is so common in the supply chain right now.

To answer your questions, yes, velvet can come in on snails and hermit crabs. Velvet has a similar lifecycle to marine ich in that it will encyst on a hard surface as part of its reproduction cycle. Snail shells make an ideal surface for it to cling to until it hatches the next generation. As for how long before the next wave? Not long. It reproduces much faster than ich.
The fish will get temporary relief from a FW dip and they will also benefit from the move to the QT but getting copper levels up is critical. @ngoodermuth has given you some great advice. Do your best and good luck!
 
We've been working on this problem with this person for days on another forum.
Since it started on ReefCentral, yes. It's a big problem for us. Honestly I've gotten more responses and details here. It's always good to get multiple opinions and we thank everyone for their help. You can find the other thread at ReefCentral under Urgent Fast Fish Killer. That was before I knew it was velvet.
 
Since it started on ReefCentral, yes. It's a big problem for us. Honestly I've gotten more responses and details here. It's always good to get multiple opinions and we thank everyone for their help. You can find the other thread at ReefCentral under Urgent Fast Fish Killer. That was before I knew it was velvet.
You get more responses on Reefcentral after you do something so people can tell you that you did something wrong.
 
You get more responses on Reefcentral after you do something so people can tell you that you did something wrong.
That's why I'm asking more questions from other people so I don't do something wrong. I already did by not having a QT ready and not recognizing the disease. I don't want to compound that. I'm aware that this falls on me. I was told on ReefCentral that I couldn't mix the antibiotics with the copper. And no one ever answered my question about carriers. Not until I posted it here.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Really sorry you are dealing with this. It is unfortunate that velvet is so common in the supply chain right now.

To answer your questions, yes, velvet can come in on snails and hermit crabs. Velvet has a similar lifecycle to marine ich in that it will encyst on a hard surface as part of its reproduction cycle. Snail shells make an ideal surface for it to cling to until it hatches the next generation. As for how long before the next wave? Not long. It reproduces much faster than ich.
The fish will get temporary relief from a FW dip and they will also benefit from the move to the QT but getting copper levels up is critical. @ngoodermuth has given you some great advice. Do your best and good luck!
Thank you so much for your response and for answering my questions. It makes me a more informed aquarist and I completely appreciate it.
 
That's why I'm asking more questions from other people so I don't do something wrong. I already did by not having a QT ready and not recognizing the disease. I don't want to compound that. I'm aware that this falls on me. I was told on ReefCentral that I couldn't mix the antibiotics with the copper. And no one ever answered my question about carriers. Not until I posted it here.
My point was that Reef Central has a lot of trolls that just love telling you that you did something wrong without offering any real advice
 
My point was that Reef Central has a lot of trolls that just love telling you that you did something wrong without offering any real advice
I understood what you meant ☺. In this case I could have fixed this much easier had I not thought I was better at watching my fish without a QT set up. Thank you for the support.
 
I understood what you meant ☺. In this case I could have fixed this much easier had I not thought I was better at watching my fish without a QT set up. Thank you for the support.

You did something wrong! :p (just in case the familiarity with that phrase makes you more comfortable!)

Of course, I did something wrong today too. I went to the LFS to pick up a new calcium test kit. Came home with an orchid dottyback and 6 line wrasse. My QT was empty sitting on my closet floor. Got it set up and ready in under 10 minutes and added Biospira. Hopefully it will work out!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef, Jinxs . . . though I could wish to welcome you under less unpleasant circumstances!

You've had some great advice from Ngoodermuth, Melypr1985 and Brew12 - they're sharp, sensible folks with amazing hearts.

I've gotta say, your initial post was one of the best, most detailed, clearest descriptions of how this killer presents, its immediate symptoms and widespread devastation that I've ever read.

Hoping you've got that QT set up and copper on the rise as I write this . . .

~Bruce
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top