Vermetid snails - are they really that bad?

They aren’t that bad. Not annoying or anything like that.

C3E9ADF3-3BD8-4FD1-B314-826FB0B7F7F7.jpeg
holy ****
 
Had a massive infestation of Vermetid snails in my 300g FOWLR and found the solution completely by accident.

I introduced a Harlequin Tusk fish and a Niger Trigger and soon the snails started disappearing. Was not sure how this was happening so I conducted an experiment.

I took some liverock out of my sump (infested with the vermetid snails) and placed it in the Main display and the Harlequin Tusk went straight for the snails and started devouring them.

There were some in the hard to reach areas but just made it accessible and he got those as well.

Harlequin tusk is my saviour. My main display is free of snails, but my sump has still has heaps of them, but I guess they can serve their purpose down there as filter feeders.

Might not be the solution for those who have crustaceans and othe snails in their tank as the Harlequin will devour them as well if given the opportunity.
 
Last edited:
Had a massive infestation of Vermetid snails in my 300g FOWLR and found the solution completely by accident.

I introduced a Harlequin Tusk fish and a Niger Trigger and soon the snails started disappearing. Was not sure how this was happening so I conducted an experiment.

I took some liverock out of my sump (infested with the vermetid snails) and placed it in the Main display and the Harlequin Tusk went straight for the snails and started devouring them.

There were some in the hard to reach areas but just made it accessible and he got those as well.

Harlequin tusk is my saviour. My main display is free of snails, but my sump has still has heaps of them, but I guess they can serve their purpose down there as filter feeders.

Might not be the solution for those who have crustaceans and othe snails in their tank as the Harlequin will devour them as well if given the opportunity.
This is pretty cool for sure. I have been trying to "train" my triggers to eat vermetids. They LOVE to eat them but I have to make the insides a bit more accessible as the large vermetids have a very hard/thick shell that a smaller trigger (4") cannot breach. Assuming the tusk is eating the smaller variety of vermetid?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top