Video: Magnetic Stirrer Gizmo for water tests

  • Thread starter Thread starter melev
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I made one a few years ago out of an old pc fan, some acrylic and 2 magnets. Works great!

4eb67736eaf9c55e761bd7dd24dee7fa.jpg
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
hurry up and get that stir plate in your store :) You could work with the guy building these to develop sleeve inserts for the stir plate to accept common test kit vials. Beauty of 3d printing is that he can change the collar and mock up the inserts to hold salifert/elos/redsea/nyos etc
 
hurry up and get that stir plate in your store :) You could work with the guy building these to develop sleeve inserts for the stir plate to accept common test kit vials. Beauty of 3d printing is that he can change the collar and mock up the inserts to hold salifert/elos/redsea/nyos etc

Yes please!!!!!

or if hes not going to be making any available soon I think you should crack open that case and reverse engineer that sucka!
Im sure the folks on the forums will be able to source the parts and mock up DIY.....must be a super small fan in that little guy.
Come on Marc lets see the innards!!!!! lol

Also just as a side ?.....does anyone think that the speed of the stirrer or the friction it causes would induce heat, and if so would the heat generated by the spinning be enough to effect the water sample?
 
stir plates and bars are by no means difficult to make, they have been a big diy project for home-brew yeast cultivation. The beauty of this is a potentially reasonably priced unit designed specifically for our needs. Without having to source parts or build a much larger than needed unit based off of computer fans. The stir bars in those units have rather small contact points with the glass and friction heat would not be an issue for these tests.
 
I already use an off the shelf mini stir plate bought off of ebay. I like this design though and the one in the other thread. It should be fairly straight forward to put together plans for the 3d printing with a motor/magnet/potentiometer... I might pursue (since I have a printer at home) and if successful I'll upload everything here for your guys... Sounds like a fun project :)
 
Here is a link to one already on the market. https://sraquaristik.com/product/speed-test/

wow! good stuff on finding a link! That looks almost identical to the one Marc has.
I just ordered one, but needed to go to a different site. The link wouldn't let me complete my order info for some reason. I reached out by email and tried calling but nothing.
I eneded up going through reefnation to order. Around $60 with shipping. Prob couldve been a $10 DIY but who has time!
 
I watched the video on the SR Aquaristic Speed test and it does look similar. But without the built in LED light. I want one with the light!
 
I have the SR one and it works well. love using it with Red Sea nitrate and potassium tests!
 
These are used in any chem/bio/biotech etc. lab I'm sure you could google it and find a source for used lab equipment. These would be good quality/high longevity units and maybe a decent price. worth looking into
 
Would using the bigger glass vial make any difference in the reading of color through it? I'm just curious if it makes any difference using the bigger beaker instead of the skinny one that comes in the test kit. I bought the Taylor one shown above some time ago but I haven't used it yet. Just a curiosity.
 
No it doesn't its the reaction with the reagent that causes the color change.
 
I believe he means in how the reaction is read. the reaction will be the same regardless of what is used but will the size, opacity as viewed from the side, or how much wider the space of a bigger cylinder is used affect how one reads the results?
 
im sure you could just pour the reacted sample out of the mixing vial and into the supplied vile to do the reading
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top