water noise in pvc overflow plumbing.

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with 1 1/2" piping? Was it pre-plumbed like that? It is a seriously serious overkill...

The kit I have is the Glass-Holes 1500 gph kit. The kit came with a 1 1/2" bulkhead.
of.jpg
 
Hah I am not a plumbing expert either so I would have never guessed you would cross the 1" before you get into 100 gallon tank or more... Sometimes your gut feel might be way off.

As a side note, I'm not sure how you would run this with herbie (since you need head on your emergency). I would suspect that you would need an external box for that but maybe someone with more expertise will chime in...
 
Hah I am not a plumbing expert either so I would have never guessed you would cross the 1" before you get into 100 gallon tank or more... Sometimes your gut feel might be way off.

As a side note, I'm not sure how you would run this with herbie (since you need head on your emergency). I would suspect that you would need an external box for that but maybe someone with more expertise will chime in...

I originally bought this for my 100 gallon tank with a 50 gallon suump....but since then I have moved from a house into an upstairs apartment. So I figured for the time being I would use the 1500 overflow and just use 1 drain.
Its pretty much a thin ghost overflow. I have to install the bulkheads backwards because the overflow box is too thin for the bulkheads to fit correctly.

Thanks
 
I recently ran into this with my 40g breeder. i however did just the 700 gph overflow so only one drain, but the issue with the noise was too much water running through it. Try and temper back your return a little to slow the flow through your sump and it should quiet down the waterfall. Atleast this worked for me, however if i had to choose again i would choose a different option for the overflow as the whole system is still just a little louder than i would like. Good luck
 
I recently ran into this with my 40g breeder. i however did just the 700 gph overflow so only one drain, but the issue with the noise was too much water running through it. Try and temper back your return a little to slow the flow through your sump and it should quiet down the waterfall. Atleast this worked for me, however if i had to choose again i would choose a different option for the overflow as the whole system is still just a little louder than i would like. Good luck

Thank you
 
I am going to plumb it similar to this and use a gate valve instead of the ball valve.

May also reduce the pvc to 3/4" or so.

PlumbingTankBack.jpg~original.jpg
 
but the issue with the noise was too much water running through it. Try and temper back your return a little to slow the flow through your sump and it should quiet down
Not accurate, a full siphon, regardless of flow rate, will be virtually silent. Sounds like a true siphon hasn't been established. Tuning with a gate valve should fix this.
 
Not accurate, a full siphon, regardless of flow rate, will be virtually silent. Sounds like a true siphon hasn't been established. Tuning with a gate valve should fix this.
Agreed the glassholes overflow (unless i ha e mine setup completly wrong lol) setup doesnt run off a full syphon though. When i tried to close off the drain some to cut the noise back i didnt get anywhere. Just stating my experience [emoji482]
 
I re-did the plumbing over the holiday weekend. I basically did a straight shot with 2 45 degree elbows. I also added a gate galve which worked wonders and was way more efficient than the cheap ball valve at home depot. The ball valve was very hard to turn, the gate valve from Bulk Reef Supply was so easy to turn....but it was around $32 /ea

After spending a few hours re plumbing I noticed a few leaks at the joints of my new work....so next weekend I will be re-doing it again and using a hacksaw for a smoother edge instead of this pvc cutter. The pvc cutter I used made the edges flare out which I trimmed off using my pocket knife, lol I had bought this other pvc cutter thinking it would be easier since I saw people using this on YouTube.....boy was I wrong. I could barely cut 3/4" pvc with it. So once again back to the drawing board.
 
Finally finished installing the NEW 3rd generation PVC overflow. Its basically a straight down drop with 3 45 degree angles. Silent as can be.
I globbed on the PVC glue like no other. It looks ugly as hell but THANK GOD no leaks (crosses fingers and knocks on wood)

Now Im finishing up my 3/4" PVC return with manifold added. I planned to add 5 outputs but that was just not realistic with a 20 gallon sump. (not long enough) So I opted for 3 outputs with one being a diy algae scrubber hooked up directly to a cpex ball valve true union. I can swap out the algae scrubber ball valve with a normal cpex ball valve true union that has a hose adapter attached if I ever want to change things up and have a 3rd hose output. I only plan to run Bio pellets and GFO if needed. I should have taken pics throughout the process but as my sig says, I'm lazy so I will throw up a pic tonight of what my tank looks like now.

In the mist of gluing the return Saturday night I received a call from a fellow reefer about 10:30 pm who said, hey you need some Live Rock? (who doesn't) he said if you want it you have to come now. So 15 minutes later I arrive to pick up my two buckets full of about 50 lbs!!! SCORE. now my 40 gallon DT and 20 gallon sump are fill of LR. Who needs a skimmer anyways? lol Got a text the next morning "Hey man you might want to be careful with that LR, it has Aiptasia all over it...." Ive been demolishing it with Aiptasia X for the past couple day. It was still worth it!
 
Here is the mess from Saturday night in the kitchen...I will eventually get to straightening it up :D

18880068_10154723592914071_1740572756917799732_o.jpg


18891734_10154723593134071_7612083113072478889_o.jpg
 
Now Im finishing up my 3/4" PVC return with manifold added. I planned to add 5 outputs but that was just not realistic with a 20 gallon sump. (not long enough) So I opted for 3 outputs with one being a diy algae scrubber hooked up directly to a cpex ball valve true union. I can swap out the algae scrubber ball valve with a normal cpex ball valve true union that has a hose adapter attached if I ever want to change things up and have a 3rd hose output. I only plan to run Bio pellets and GFO if needed. I should have taken pics throughout the process but as my sig says, I'm lazy so I will throw up a pic tonight of what my tank looks like now.


Busy busy. Pics of plumbing? This is one thing i really wish i had taken the time to do was add a manifold to my return line. It wont really be that big of a deal to add if i decide i need it, but just hate the idea of doing it now since i already have everything running.
 
Now Im finishing up my 3/4" PVC return with manifold added. I planned to add 5 outputs but that was just not realistic with a 20 gallon sump. (not long enough) So I opted for 3 outputs with one being a diy algae scrubber hooked up directly to a cpex ball valve true union. I can swap out the algae scrubber ball valve with a normal cpex ball valve true union that has a hose adapter attached if I ever want to change things up and have a 3rd hose output. I only plan to run Bio pellets and GFO if needed. I should have taken pics throughout the process but as my sig says, I'm lazy so I will throw up a pic tonight of what my tank looks like now.


Busy busy. Pics of plumbing? This is one thing i really wish i had taken the time to do was add a manifold to my return line. It wont really be that big of a deal to add if i decide i need it, but just hate the idea of doing it now since i already have everything running.

I feel you on that! I just can wait to get it done. I hope it does not leak. I added a union so if it does I can take it out and redo it later down the road. I really hope it works on the first go around. I'm tired or re-plumbing.
Good luck to you.
 
Some updated pics.. The secondary overflow that is not finished yet is now leaking slowly....it never ends.

20170607_215649.jpg


20170607_215646.jpg


20170607_215722.jpg


20170607_215615.jpg
 
Thats unfortunate. Where is it leaking from bulkhead, union, ballvalve? Just curious.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top