What alkalinity do you shot for in you tank?

FireEMT

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
213
Reaction score
49
Location
Grants Pass, OR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to start up a conversation about Alkalinity with the community. I am fairly new to salt water and have kept my tank at 9.5, only because I use HW Marinemix Reefer Salt and thats around its starting point. Just curios what everyone runs at and maybe why?
 
Usually tanks with a lot of sps like to keep theirs around 9-11 dkh seems like the acros like it more but if you have a mixed tank your right in the middle just in case levels rise of drop. Good for wiggle room. It's usually 7-11 dkh.
 
I think you will find within the last two or so years SPS tanks have trended towards being 7-9. Most 7-8.5 and any higher they get alk burn. If you have higher nutrients you can have higher alk.
 
It depends from many factors
Animals you have inside, sps
Lights, temperature and nutrients in your tank
At last on redox pot.
If your kh is over 8
it mean to say to your animals grow up
So if in the tank there s no nutrient
 
I have lower nutrients and try to run 8.3. I am currently at 8.6. Really no reason that I chose 8.3 other than giving myself a little time if it starts to go up
 
Probably your tank is not with an high ox pot.
Light ...
If my kh gone to 8.3
Many of my sps start do die
I try it...
 
I recommend 7-11 dKH unless it is a ULNS SPS tank.

Higher alk (9-11 dKH) often means faster coral growth, and lower alk 6.5-8 dKH) is better if nutrients are very low, potentially leading to "better" colors of some corals due to less zoox in them.
 
Its great to see the thought process from so many members. My tank has been ULNS since the beginning. Originally I was trying to get the NO3 up but I can't seem to do it. I run NOPOX and a large simmer. I plan on doing SPS dominated with a few LPS. I am also starting Red Sea's energy this week hoping to feed the coral a little better. Keep the posts coming, I really enjoy hearing all the different opinions. Thanks
 
Its great to see the thought process from so many members. My tank has been ULNS since the beginning. Originally I was trying to get the NO3 up but I can't seem to do it. I run NOPOX and a large simmer. I plan on doing SPS dominated with a few LPS. I am also starting Red Sea's energy this week hoping to feed the coral a little better. Keep the posts coming, I really enjoy hearing all the different opinions. Thanks

Less NOPOX would certainly allow nitrate to rise.
 
Less NOPOX would certainly allow nitrate to rise.
I am only dosing 2ml right now and the tank is sound 130 gallons. The 2ml have been keeping everything at 0. I have not actually seen a reading from either PO4 or NO3, ever. I use a new red sea NO3 test and Hanna for the PO4. From what I've seen I will slowly lower my alk to closer to 8.
 
I like to keep them stable. Don't shoot for a number someone else uses find what works and maintain it.
 
8-10 here, red sea program. Lower didn't yield too big a difference for colors since I use the reef energy hourly. Higher than 10-11 seems to allow for complications not running phosphate/nitrate at what red sea dictates in the high growth program.

I ended up implementing a doser for calcium nitrate though since the foods I like are heavy in alk. The colors additives help a bit too because you're introducing iron as well iirc.Makes it really easy to dial everything in where you want it as a baseline for numbers.
Calcium nitrate is cheap though, 20-25$ will get ya a year or two's worth for that size tank.
 
I just set up a calcium reactor on my tank, and now my alk is around 12 dKh, which has me concerned. The tank is SPS only, a 180g. Does anyone know if this is too high? Should I turn off the reactor until the corals grow out some and the demand increases?
 
As this post says the number can vary a great deal it is Stability that is important. If your alk is normally 8 and your at 12 all of a sudden everything will turn white real fast. If you were normally at 11.5 and now at 12 it may not be too much of an issue
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top