What are your years of experience??

How many years you been in the hobby?


  • Total voters
    195
I have 25 years of screwing things up
 
Ughh! My first fish only saltwater tank was 1974. First reef tank (bio ball filtration) was 1980. I’ve had a tank or two running at all times since then. My best price of advice is read everything you can ask questions of the experts (and figure out who is an expert and who is not) then apply what you learned and when that fails keep trying.
 
I have 8 years in the freshwater world (breeding angelfish and a planted Discuss tank). Finally started SW and am almost at 2 months. Looking forward to the coming journey and hopefully having a Reef tank for many many years.
 
Holy cow, 52 years have gone by since my first salt tank. I still have and use my original floating hydrometer. Filtration was under gravel filter with wood diffusers. Mollies & Damsels were my first fish. Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine was the only information source available. Still trying to keep this hobby simple.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 33
I'm curious to the variety of years of reefers that we have here. To all the vets please add some sound advice & to all our newer reefers please add a question.
With my current tank 17 years, add on another 10 for previous reef tanks so 27. Advice, I would say find a routine and products that work and stick with them.
 
2 years and less but im keeping coral and fish better than some 10+ year people lol.


 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 12.47.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 12.47.13 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
We started salt water in the 80’s and went on to reefing in mid 90’s. I am an avid reader and enjoy learning the ins and outs of things. Far from being a pro. Years of bad habits just make you a seasoned novice.
My life lesson in reef keeping is to actually apply with I've learned. Consider the source of the information and the experience of the source. The length of their success. The stability of the system.We all mean well here and on other forums and at some point we become somewhat knowledgeable. None here are masters of every single aspect of reefing and that’s where the community becomes so helpful when we have need of advice be it to give us new information or simply refresh our memory.
Know your limitations and maintain an open mind.
Value the opinions of others and expertise they bring to the table.
My advice to others is Patience, Patience, Patience.
A reef aquarium is a piece of nature and as such relies on nature.
It’s not a piece of furniture nor instant gratification
Some may think of a reef tank as an ornament and expect to have a thriving successful ecosystem in their living space tomorrow.
When that doesn’t happen the big question comes, Why is my tank not looking like I want it to?
Believe me when I tell you this because I’ve been there and even now when I experience failures I think back and realize that I brought it on myself either from bad planning or spontaneous actions.
Small changes one at a time so you can determine with certainty what the outcome of said change was.
 
5 years of keeping reefs now, but almost 10 years of fish keeping and aquaculture experience. Still learning new stuff every week in the industry.

I think that the most important thing I've learned over the years is never fill or drain a tank unattended... 25000 gallons and counting on the floor by now. And that your system is only as strong as your weakest link, whether it's a process, or component, understanding the root of a problem, and not cutting corners around it will fix the issue.
 
I'm loving the vast contrast in experience I'm seeing from everyone. The sound advice, comments, & the sense of humor everyone is showing.
 
I've been keeping fish in glass boxes for 60+ years.
I set up my first saltwater tank from scratch in 1985.
I did keep tide pool critters ( cold water) in a small 10 gallon tank back in the 50's when we stayed at my grand parents cabin one summer on Hood Canal in Washington state.

Quarantine everything
 
I'm curious to the variety of years of reefers that we have here. To all the vets please add some sound advice & to all our newer reefers please add a question.
I have voted newbie but I have had freshwater tanks for almost 40 years. New to saltwater though.
 
36 years
Be patient and do not chase numbers
 
26 years this December. Wife had no idea what she was starting when she wanted to buy me a salt water tank for my birthday in 1995.
 
36 years
Be patient and do not chase numbers
+1… maybe I shouldn’t admit this, but the only ‘test kit’ that I’ve had for the past ~20 years is a swing arm hydrometer (checked every year or so with my refractometer) No apex or dosers…. 10% water changes once a month (or 2), change filter socks 2-3 times a week. Admittedly no sticks, they’re beautiful but not worth my time or effort as far as I’m concerned.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top