What causes LPS corals to be unhappy?

I’m not sure how others control there lights but this way seem to make most sense to me
I was always under the impression that the lights are much more par powerful then they appear. The 30 is double the 15 that I have obviously.

When you google search par numbers for the radions it seems there is a huge inconsistency. Some running lower intensity and others running very high intensity to get similar par in similar size tanks. I really need to find a par meter to rent.
 
I was always under the impression that the lights are much more par powerful then they appear. The 30 is double the 15 that I have obviously.

When you google search par numbers for the radions it seems there is a huge inconsistency. Some running lower intensity and others running very high intensity to get similar par in similar size tanks. I really need to find a par meter to rent.
It’s funny that you say this because I have thought this many times. I read about people running multiple g30 at 100 or close to it and I can’t imagine any coral being able to take that much light let alone the algae it would grow. As far as you saying the 30 is double the 15 I’m not sure that is correct. Obviously more but somewhere around 50-70% increase not double. But that’s what I said take the info and apply it to your tank best possible without a par meter just start low
 
I was always under the impression that the lights are much more par powerful then they appear. The 30 is double the 15 that I have obviously.

When you google search par numbers for the radions it seems there is a huge inconsistency. Some running lower intensity and others running very high intensity to get similar par in similar size tanks. I really need to find a par meter to rent.
Ok I just measured it for you right now. The diffuser is about a 10% loss in par. I measured out of water just at water lever about 7 inches from my lights it’s 900par with diffuser and 1010 without. So 10%
 
Ok I just measured it for you right now. The diffuser is about a 10% loss in par. I measured out of water just at water lever about 7 inches from my lights it’s 900par with diffuser and 1010 without. So 10%
1000 par wow, that's like scorching level. Thank you for taking a before and after measurements. I have adjusted for the 10%. Some stuff just seems more unhappy today also. Guess I really need the ICP to rule out that part. I really have not had a light issue during the past 9 months. So the only change a week ago was the diffusers and my increase in intensity to compensate.

If I did over par the corals, typically how long before they might go normal again now that I have lowered down the intensity?

Torch corals in the mid section are only half open. Platys in the back mid section not open at all today.
 
1000 par wow, that's like scorching level. Thank you for taking a before and after measurements. I have adjusted for the 10%. Some stuff just seems more unhappy today also. Guess I really need the ICP to rule out that part. I really have not had a light issue during the past 9 months. So the only change a week ago was the diffusers and my increase in intensity to compensate.

If I did over par the corals, typically how long before they might go normal again now that I have lowered down the intensity?

Torch corals in the mid section are only half open. Platys in the back mid section not open at all today.
Believe it or not that’s only about 300-350 at top and 100-120 on sand .I’m gunna guess a week or 2 for most recovery
 
Last edited:
So when I first got my radions that all was very confusing to me. I end up setting all my point intensity sliders to mainly 100% for part of the day that is full sun. Then to make sun rise and sun set I lowered some of the sliders for the time periods that I needed then now I only control the schedule slider to increase or decrease the whole day par at one time. Hope you can understand how I wrote this. Here is a pic
Wow that's low to my setting and you are still getting sufficient par.
 
I agree with possible metals. Try running some cuprasorb. It has saved my butt. I am dropping some in the reactor tomorrow as my corals are looking less than perfect. I had a magnet go bad on a probe holder, and another time it was my ro water. Also run an ATI water test. The other thing could be stray voltage. Good luck.
How do metals get in the tank?
 
How do metals get in the tank?

Metals can leach through worn, frayed wires. Magnets, Ro units, Float switches on ro units, worn impellers, basically anything metal that touches the water. I had copper in my ro/di, it said Zero TDS, but an ATI test caught it. We are talking about a slow extended period of time build up or leaching. Another time i had a probe magnet explode.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top