What do you think the best tank size is?

I don't mess with big tanks, but for nano-sized there isn't much out there that beats the look of a rimless 30g long IMO. I never liked the look of "cube" tanks. Too deep for me.
What size is a 30gal long as I'm UK and your gallon is different. I have a 24x18x18 and I think that's spot on for me as a 10% water change (that I don't do often is only 10litres) and as I use NSW I just collect 6 months worth of water changes at a time.
I also have a small tank for my son and I'm setting up a fluval evo 13.5 in my bedroom I like the smaller fish as big fish in a large tank still looks awkward to me.
15332284249571844940924.jpg
DSC_0534.JPG
DSC_0587.JPG
 
Is there an off the shelf option at 96x36x 24-30? Or are we talking about custom tanks since the price jumps rather quickly.

I don't think there are off the self 8-foot tanks or many options which are deeper than they are tall in that size. I just don't think people value deeper tanks until they see one in person.
 
I don't think there are off the self 8-foot tanks or many options which are deeper than they are tall in that size. I just don't think people value deeper tanks until they see one in person.

Funny enough that’s the tank size I’ve been looking for but if I have to go custom then I might as well go 9 ft since I have the room but the 36” depth in a peninsula is stunning.
 
For me it's the biggest tank your space and budget allows. For the location I have to work with, 4 feet was the best use of space. I'm running a 75 bit would love more width. I may be able to upgrade in the future if I can convince my wife to give up her built in bookcase. That space would give me room for a 6 foot tank no problem.
 
Prior to the new tank I am setting up right now I had a 250DD while I loved the length and width 60”x 36” I did not like the 27” height due to how difficult it was to reach the back area in the center of the tank as well as the height being a a pain fro me to reach if any coral fell. I am now in the process of setting up a custom tank with the same length and width but only 20” tall. Haven’t started the aquascape yet but I already love the
Ease of accessing all areas. Below are a couple of pictures of both tanks.

8B695447-CF55-4294-8E97-446CA324C46A.jpeg


5062C1B2-F16C-444A-8AD8-223A7413C144.jpeg


FA50406C-9F58-4474-92CA-B7E037C7B08A.jpeg


EB7C2F98-495D-40EC-8AF4-07C089B67EB1.jpeg
 
I got the RSR 180 gal. Absolutely love it. Perfect size. Perfect sump. Can’t go wrong w a 180+ in my humble opinion. I have smaller tanks too but I focus mainly on that one. Actually planning for bout double that w next build next year prolly. I personally wouldn’t go smaller than a 180 though. Got so many more options on just about every aspect. Including I find it the easiest to maintain proper balanced chemistry. Not as brutal swings in alk especially. For me anyway. I’m sure many would argue different. just my experience.

The perfect size is always going to depend on the user. There is no hard and fast rule. That said, I really think my 180 is right at the sweet spot.
 
So ive just recently given this a good bit of thought as I plan an upgrade. What I wound up going with was a 48”x24”x22” so about 110g. I should be able to reach the bottom at any point in the tank without a step ladder from the front or sides and will allow me to keep pretty much any of the fish species im interested in. Wrasses, wrasses and probably more wrasses. Like a 2 to 1 length width ratio as well.

I opted for some other upgrades over going bigger and having to purchase a lot of new equipment. Yes Ill need to add another light but I can keep using pretty much all my other equipment. Also living in a townhouse, available space is always big consideration.
 
8 feet long x 3 feet wide. 30 inches deep. You can do it all and never need a new tank for life
 
It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

If I were keeping pipefish or sea horses, I would go for something fairly modest like a 40 breeder.

A 40 breeder is great for pipefish but actually seahorses are better in a taller tank. I am finding a 56 column tank is perfect for 3-4 seahorses. They need the height to avoid buoyancy issues as well as facilitating courtship.
 
That is a good point - we didn't get into some of the more "specialty" tanks for species like pipes/seahorses. I agree, for the more fragile smaller species like that, a 40 breeder is probably the best choice.

I have seahorses and they can live in a 40 breeder but taller is better because of buoyancy issues and courtship. I have a 56 column and it is my favorite for ponies. Big enough to house 3-4 seahorses but small enough to manage the large frequent water changes to keep them healthy.
 
I agree - 40 breeders are beautiful tanks - bit on the small side, but great proportions.
I think the 2/3 cubes and similar sizes are very nice too, but they pose a problem if you wanted to keep tangs.

Assuming the average tang needs a straight-shot 6 feet to swim when fully grown, a 48x48x30 or 48x48x32 would give about 68 inches of space on its longest dimension (from corner to corner) - 51x51x34 would be the true size you'd need to provide 6 feet and stay within proportions. Those three sets of dimensions give volumes of 300, 320, and 385 gallons, respectively.
At that point, they become much more expensive to run - as you need to provide flow and lighting in such a tank. Adding volume via a sump gives you the benefit of not having to add extra lighting costs, extra flow costs, etc.
Further, the height is a problem in this tank because MH are the only lights that will give enough light to SPS kept near the bottom of the tank - so you're stuck either with MH lighting for a traditional aquascape, or you're stuck keeping your corals higher if you want to change your lighting.

One last note on the 40 breeder - how did you find the 72x27x24 dimensions? Going off the ratio of a 40 breeder (36x18x16), a 6 foot tank with those proportions would need to be 72x36x32, or 360 gallons.


I'd consider 20-30 minutes per day a good place to start as far as "reasonable". That includes checking everything out, making sure fish are healthy, feeding, cleaning glass, etc.

I would say that 40 breeders are my favorite of the small tanks, by far. It gives you some really nice options for aquascaping. My only problem with tanks of that proportion is that the volume goes up rapidly - about 105 gallons for a 4 foot tank, 210 gallons for a 5 foot tank, 360 gallons for a 6 foot tank, and an 8 foot tank at those proportions would be around 850 gallons. Rapidly increasing volume means rapidly increasing costs to run, due to flow and lighting - and tanks much over 24" deep are restricted in their lighting choices as well, meaning that a tank over 5 feet long with those proportions needs MH lighting.

As far as maintenance, I would think that the only things that take much longer on bigger than smaller tanks are water changes and glass cleaning, and the glass would probably only be noticeable going from tiny to huge - 4 to 6 feet is probably not much of a noticeable difference.

When my system is built, water changes shouldn't take me long at all, and they shouldn't cause any headaches either.
I will have two stacked tanks that are each 10% of the total system volume. The bottom one will be gravity-fed from the display, and water will be pumped back in via an external pump. The top one will have a water line feeding into it from a RODI unit, and it will have a few heaters and powerheads in it as well. Both tanks will have large floor drains - the top one draining to the bottom, bottom draining to outside.

Water changes will consist of filling the top tank, adding salt, letting sit 24 hours. Then, turn valve and shut off pump, so bottom tank is now cut off from the system. Drain it outside, drain in new saltwater from top tank, open ball valve, turn on pump, and 10% of the system's volume has been changed.
Much easier than lugging 5 gallon buckets around over and over again until everything's filled :)

Back to the main topic though - I agree on the thought of getting something off the bottom. From the tip of my middle finger to my shoulder is about 27 inches - so anything over 24 inches deep, maybe shallower, I'd better have something without sleeves on. I think 24-25" would be the maximum depth then, to allow me to safely reach the bottom of the tank without being submerged.
I don't imagine myself needing to reach the bottom all too often - but in the event that I need to, 24-25" depth will allow me to without donning a mask and snorkel :)

Drew
Can you post pictures of your WC setup? I can visualize what you're saying, but would be cool to see it "in action" (don't have to actually do it mid wc, just something to look at) :)
 
My all time favorite is the 90 gal, have had 10 gal displays w 10 gal sumps, all the way up to 180's.
Currently have a shallow reef 36x14x18deep, and a 40 gal breeder with a 30 long sump, but my 90 was up for 10 years and it was my best effort so far.
 
Perfect size to me for viewing is 96x30x24. Perfect size for lighting/cleaning 48x30x24

Deep tanks get harder to stock corals near the bottom and anything less than 30" front to back loses that cool depth effect (IMO of course).
 
I run a 40 gallon long which is 4 ft in length. I find this may be perfect for a reef tank that is on the smaller size. The 40 breeders are not long enough...only 36 inches. Yes..tang police...I have a tang. He is perfectly happy in a 4ft long tank. Also the depth is very easy to work with and get at everything. you don't need ridiculous lighting and equipment either. I would definitely look into a 40 gallon long over a 40 gallon breeder. IMO
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top