What is an overlooked fish in the hobby?

eqbal9947

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2022
Messages
583
Reaction score
371
Location
Fort Mcmurray
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Royal pencil wrasse and its beautiful, friendly and keeps to himself.
I'm not sure why they are not more popular.
1677727226147.png
 
I think pencil wrasses aren't as popular because they are very poor shippers and just have poor survival rates in general. Beautiful fish though!

Agree. They(pencil wrasses) are also often found in deeper open water areas which makes collection harder and more expensive.
 
Agree. They(pencil wrasses) are also often found in deeper open water areas which makes collection harder and more expensive.
Comparatively not that bad. I got mine for 140 CAD and I've seen sites that have them for 60 CAD.
 
I recently got a Royal pencil wrasse and its beautiful, friendly and keeps to himself.
I'm not sure why they are not more popular.
1677727226147.png
These guys have periods of being all over the hobby just people don’t go for them. I’ve seen pairs, males and females surface all over the place over here. However the reason many avoid them is due to them being worse than some of the Anampses in care.


I have many overlooked fish, I don’t tend to hunt rare fish unless it’s my absolute dream to own one.
My number one underrated fish is for sure a Hoplolatilus chlupatyi. The first photo is my current one and the second is my previous one. I find them fascinating to watch and their cave systems are incredibly complex, my current one closes and opens his cave and the caves/tunnels go much further back than it looks like. They also flash and change colours within the blink of an eye!
F70DA4A5-E121-49E9-AA8D-91E9AAD4E00A.jpeg

C70813D6-F0BB-477D-8858-769F44787253.jpeg


Downsides to them are;
- They jump like crazy
- They take a lot of time to settle in
- They’re timid
- They don’t take overly well to highly aggressive situations (E.G. Large tangs outside of Ctenochaetus, Boisterous wrasses)

Pros to them;
- They are fantastic eaters and quite readily accept frozen
- They add something different to the tank
- They have puppy personalities even when settling
- It looks like the Kraken is staring at you when you look into their tunnels
 
Another overlooked fish is… Cirrhilabrus naokoae. This guy adds so much colour and makes a perfect duo with a Halichoeres iridis, they also gain a beautiful blue iridescence just towards the end of the white ‘cheek’ where it starts to go into the yellow line. I’d love to get a photo of it but he’s always right against the glass and a pain to photograph due to his speed.
AD3FB2BC-0096-42D6-B7FF-BDBE2D5F7CD1.jpeg
 
Another overlooked fish is… Cirrhilabrus naokoae. This guy adds so much colour and makes a perfect duo with a Halichoeres iridis, they also gain a beautiful blue iridescence just towards the end of the white ‘cheek’ where it starts to go into the yellow line. I’d love to get a photo of it but he’s always right against the glass and a pain to photograph due to his speed.
AD3FB2BC-0096-42D6-B7FF-BDBE2D5F7CD1.jpeg
There are an absolute ton of those little guys over here! At least 30 of them at my LFS every time I am there. Beautiful fish.
 
There are an absolute ton of those little guys over here! At least 30 of them at my LFS every time I am there. Beautiful fish.
My 4’ tank has a running theme through it;
Red, Yellow and deep Blue/Black is seen through all of my fish. This guy and the iridis display it the best :)
This is my iridis;
61AD866D-E980-42F1-A239-C0C35ECDB1A2.jpeg
 
In canada, ive had a hard time tracking one down
It’s the same here I’m in the south of England and I’ve seen 2 in total and both ended up in my tanks.
 
Another overlooked fish is… Cirrhilabrus naokoae. This guy adds so much colour and makes a perfect duo with a Halichoeres iridis, they also gain a beautiful blue iridescence just towards the end of the white ‘cheek’ where it starts to go into the yellow line. I’d love to get a photo of it but he’s always right against the glass and a pain to photograph due to his speed.
AD3FB2BC-0096-42D6-B7FF-BDBE2D5F7CD1.jpeg
really? i don't think it is that overlooked
 
really? i don't think it is that overlooked
I’ve found that over here they’re incredibly overlooked, I can understand why - They’re ‘just’ red and yellow and don’t really have anything special in terms of pest hunting. The true colours are in the display though!
7E81DC1F-1491-4872-8DAB-54F5C58B446C.jpeg
 
i personally have that wrasse in my list multipul times but i just got another fish instead. over here i hear bout em quite a bit
 
I’ve found that over here they’re incredibly overlooked, I can understand why - They’re ‘just’ red and yellow and don’t really have anything special in terms of pest hunting. The true colours are in the display though!
7E81DC1F-1491-4872-8DAB-54F5C58B446C.jpeg
personally i think they are one of the prettiest (my 4th fav) the fairy wrasse
 
i personally have that wrasse in my list multipul times but i just got another fish instead. over here i hear bout em quite a bit
That’s interesting, over here it tends to be that over here when I say this species nobody really recognises it!
Everyone goes to look at the Africanus and Rubeus instead.
 
personally i think they are one of the prettiest (my 4th fav) the fairy wrasse
Totally agree, I have 3 fairies in my personal wrasse gang and have cared for many rare caries in the past (Including johnsoni) and this guy comes out on top followed by both Lubbocki variants.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top