What is the deal with Chalice corals?

This is 100% opinion and just my opinion... When I look at a frag plug with a chalice coral encrusted or encrusting, it reminds me of the shape of an average cow pie. The only difference is this cow is being fed crayons, colored beads, and other assorted colorful items...

However, when a chalice is grown to a colony size piece that is either massively encrusting a rock or growing into the chalice form these corals are named after, it is impressive. Being most high end chalices are sold in such small size frags it will take forever for them to get to the point where they are impressive.

I guess this same thought for me is applied to the itty bitty SPS frags and single polyp zoa frags as well.
 
+1^^^ spot on. As far as sps frags goes too, I will gladly spend the money on a large colony but I won't drop bills on little frags. Only reason I have frags of anything is because either I traded old equip for them, or I got a deal from friends on a package with lots of frags, for not lots of $$
 
Some sps grow so fast that I times I wished I had bought a frag instead of a colony....chalices are amazing corals, but I own not one of them...cant bring myself to pay for a "one eyed frag".....
 
Can't help but agree with many of you and disagree with lots of others. Reefing is about enjoying and sharing the amazing world. Finding beautiful examples of that, in particular frags is exciting on many levels First is the beauty, second is the chase. I think if you are lucky enough to live in a place like Southern California (where I reside), there is a plethora of retailers. But don't minimize online vendors and hobbyists as additional resources. Chalices and sps don't have to be expensive to be spectacular although it may take more patience to find your gem at a lower cost. And although I don't want a 1/4 inch frag, I don't want a huge colony either. I want the joy and challenge of growing out my frags. Wouldn't want someone else's fully grown-in tank no matter how beautiful. This is an expensive hobby, just look at your electric bill to appreciate that and forget everything else. But the cost of our critters does not have to be exorbitant, you just need to make wise choices and be patient. And yes, I think chalices are awesome
 
Last edited:
chalices are nice because of their patterns and colors but I think a lot of them only look good as frags. as large colonies lots of them bore me with the exception of a few. SPS is fun to grow as frags and nicer even as colonies. SPS all the way!!!!
 
Does this colony bore you?

IMG_2452.jpg
 
Here I am, spending tons of money of different kind of zoas, can't afford to add more to my addiction. Maybe someday I will buy an inch of so called designer chalice, but for now I need to keep chasing the hard to find Z's & P's.
 
i enjoy chalices but its getting crazy stupid how high the price is getting for some of these for just an eye. i like the no name ones, they usually end up looking pretty awesome.
 
i enjoy chalices but its getting crazy stupid how high the price is getting for some of these for just an eye. i like the no name ones, they usually end up looking pretty awesome.

Agreed, there are really nice no name chalice colonies that sell for around 2-300.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top