What is the next coral fad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ronnie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
2,841
Reaction score
718
Location
Northwest Arkansas
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just curious where everyone sees our hobby trending. I honestly don't know, but I'm a bit of an SPS hermit....

Zoas again?
Some other LPS?
SPS (hopes!)
Something else?

And how long does everyone think the current (chalice, IMO) fad will continue? How long until these things are affordable?

Thanks for your input!
 
Everything is in..always.. there is always something for everyone, that's why these businesses continue the hustle.

I've been stuck on polyps as of late... strange..
 
Everything is in..always.. there is always something for everyone, that's why these businesses continue the hustle.

I've been stuck on polyps as of late... strange..

I agree that there is always demand for everything, but it seems the big push right now is chalices. They don't do it for me - I do have a few, but I didn't put a paycheck down on a spec of one either. If they aren't the current fad, then show me some other coral frags that bring $1k for a snot ball - I might like them better.
 
I think the chalice craze has finally died off. Some people just haven't figured it out yet, lol. Being a sps guy, I am hoping that sps doesn't become the new "fad" because then the price goes up.
 
I hope the next fad is people buying what they like and not what everybody else wants.

Then taking that a step further to work toward a mature display, I don't care if it's full of xenia, mushrooms and GSP :xd:
 
I would prefer the next fad be SPS actually.

With fads, you have suppliers and wholesalers looking for the best of the best that will move quickly.

I'd love to see some new blood in the SPS corner!
 
I think the chalice craze has finally died off. Some people just haven't figured it out yet, lol. Being a sps guy, I am hoping that sps doesn't become the new "fad" because then the price goes up.

lol good one.

Chalices are fun because they're pretty easy to care for. They generally don't need an intense amount of light and they come in some sick colors.

SPS are much more "needy" (flow/light/calcium/mag/etc etc etc).

Zoas are another good one that don't need a ton of TLC for them to grow and thrive.
 
I think the next "big" coral fad will be alot of SPS corals like Acropora,and Montipora.I think we will see alot of newer SPS corals coming in and we will start seeing some new exotic colored pieces.

The thing is,alot of SPS grow super fast,so that will also keep more people into the hobby as their tank will look older in a short amount of time and they will be able to frag more often(somthing alot of us like to do).

For the most part,I think that the chalice fad is over.I still love chalices alot,just because of their color and their growth pattern,and I still think they will sell,but I really think that SPS,and Chalices are what are soon going to be in control of market.

One other option here is Wild Aussie stuff.I think these are HUGE,but I think it can get bigger if the economy gets better(lets hope it does soon =[).I see that Welsonis will be a really big coral,acans will be back in alot,Aussie SPS will be HUGE!They are today as it is.

So Acropora,Montipora,Chalices,Acans,and wild Aussie Acropora is what I think we will see hitting us all very soon,I already see alot of these things as it it,but I know there is better out there!LOL
 
I think the chalice craze has finally died off. Some people just haven't figured it out yet, lol. Being a sps guy, I am hoping that sps doesn't become the new "fad" because then the price goes up.


1+ Chalices fell off... I think the new fad is whatever people can afford.. and to be honest times are tough so people are broke... so now is the time to snatch up peoples prized pieces ;)
 
Ive figured out the chalice craze...but i still love them!
They are my favorite coral,then z's & p's,montis,favias,acans,acros, and others

I would like acros more, because they are amazing coral, with their unique growing patterns and colors...but i cant make them thrive in my new tank......and i still dont know why.....so i just am giving up on them

I do think sps will be the next coral trend
 
One I'd love to see is a year or two old Strawberry Shortcake. Would love to see one of them hold their colors in captivity and grow well.
 
I still want to see a picture of this rainbow granny acro...ive heard about how it is suppose to look amazing,but i cant find any pictures..only conversation about it
 
Whatever is nice.. i never thought i would like blastos but the few i got in were crazy sick looking so now im going through a blastos faze..
 
One I'd love to see is a year or two old Strawberry Shortcake. Would love to see one of them hold their colors in captivity and grow well.

I have seen one that is all most 1 year old and it is really nice looking. but there is one coral that looks like the SSC and it is called the fire garden I like that one as well. I have both and there really nice.
 
there will NOT be a next fad coral
i think the hobby just went through some growing pains the last couple years (painfully for those who bought the hype and spent their money on dreams of glory polyps and chalices)
an influx of new reefers, the internet and coral photography, improved shipping, improved quality from overseas, better fragging, better reef equipment, all played into it

right now scollies seem to be the big ticket item, but the imports will drive the price down on those real quick just like it has done so often before (acans for example). supply is growing, demand falling, and venders stock is already starting to be surplus

aussie sps had a brief phase but again the quanity of imports outpaced the demand

there will always be some expensive corals and those who are willing to spend, but i truely believe that common sense has finally returned to the hobby
 
IMO the fads typically originate from the "informed" and the hype is carried by those type of people as well.

I don't think there will be a shortage of fads any time soon. There is always demand and supply issues, be it real or man made.
 
I think that fads keep the hobby entertaining...I don't remember having so many coral choices a few years ago...now I have these "collector pieces" and "rare" coral that really make me love having a reef tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top