What is the worst product you ever bought it?

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2014
Messages
2,234
Reaction score
1,348
Location
Nashua,NH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worse Product is the two little fishes 550 phosban reactors. I have A few of the small reactors for years with a few problems nothing major. The bigger reactors the 550 models are made to make you mad. I bought two of them about 6 months ago, and both are REALLY HARD to open. Almost impossible to open it!! I broke one today. Everytime is a hassle to open. I tried hot water, rags for a better grip, and no
Luck. Well Its broken in pieces now, and I still couldn’t open it. The other one is the same problem. Waste of money:mad:
Bad product for me!
 
Every grabber I have ever gotten for my tank. I cannot find one that does not rust quickly (I get the salt is the issue) or completely break after a couple uses. I always end up using my hand and getting soaked.
 
I bought a Sealife Systems skimmer a long time ago. At the time I thought it was the top of the line ,cool new technology ! At the same time a bought a huge wet dry filter. Now that worked very well for my fish only with coral decorations . I had 40 watt shop lights with 50/50 bulbs. That was the best problem free tank I ever had ! Even with the pimpy skimmer ! LOL
 
The original koralia powerheads. They all leaked electricity and it took a little while to figure out that is what was killing all my snails. To hydor's credit they would replace them free of charge. I remember a local reefer collecting buckets full of them. The new ones would eventually leak too. Now 10 or so years later their powerheads are fine for medium applications and I use the newer generation powerheads without worry.
 
Reefkeeper Lite

Didn't make it 6 months before it just started doing weird stuff, randomly. No phone numbers on website or product documentation for support, email support address from website comes back undeliverable, community support forum won't allow me to join... Complete waste of money. Replacement Apex Classic, so far so good.
 
Reefkeeper Lite

Didn't make it 6 months before it just started doing weird stuff, randomly. No phone numbers on website or product documentation for support, email support address from website comes back undeliverable, community support forum won't allow me to join... Complete waste of money. Replacement Apex Classic, so far so good.

I had the same problem with DA support and their forum

Did the same as you. Bought an apex
 
Reef Octiopus skimmer. Thing last maybe a year and a half. The main body of it started crazing the week I started the tank up. A year and a half later there were tons of them in the neck area. It worked, but looked like hell and was a matter of time before they were an issue because it was getting really bad. According to the manufacturer that's normal lol. But then the glue joint on venturi to the pump gave away, rendering it non-working, so I chucked the $400 lesson in the garbage after less than 2 years.

Picked up an AquaMaxx that was nearly half the price since I needed something ASAP, figuring to replace it once I found something nice. Fast forward about 3 years later and that AquaMaxx has zero cracks/crazing and skims way better than the Reef Octopus ever did, and nowhere near as finicky either.
 
Red sea nitrate and phosphate combo test kit - thing leaked hydrochloric acid allover and corroded metal surfaces!
 
(2) Maxspect XF250 Gyre Pumps with Controller. Dropped over $500 and can't get them to last more than 6 weeks before I have to rebuild them. No problem with my Neptune Wavs or other pumps. I'm really good at stripping them down, replacing the bearings....I hate these pumps.
 
api-phosphate-test-kit.jpg
 
aMajano wand. Instead of killing it , Majano wand is stimulating grows of this anemons IMO. I wish it would be something like acropora wand to stimulate grows of sps.
 
Tough one. My worst equipment purchase would probably be an Odyssea T5 fixture. This was back when they were Jebo or something like that. Total POJ!

The one I may be most disappointed in is my Skimz skimmer. Not because it's a bad product but because Skimz has a good reputation and the SN123 just doesn't fit that for me. It is micro bubble central and BRS says that's normal. The lid is hazing and cracking and the cup is almost impossible to get on and off.

However it skims well and is quiet, so there is that.
 
Ultralife Red Slime Remover.
I have since come to find out that it is an oxygen scavenger and at the time I had a 28 gal JBJ all in one cube and as the instructions said I removed all chemical media and shut off my skimmer (my only substantial source of oxygenation in that tank) and subsequently killed every single living thing in my tank.
 
Coppersafe. Recently their quality control appears to be handled by howler monkeys.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top