What kind of Algae is this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter djray77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I've been struggling with my nitrates and Phosphates even before this appeared. I cant seem to raise them, I have the skimmer off and nothing in the canister just filter pads. I really think its the T5 hybrid I added to the setup. Its the only thing I've changed. I did turn down the intensity of the LED's and I also have a bottle of Vibrant on the way hopefully that will help.
 
Heres a better look at the algae overall. Hey, My sands clean though LOL!

20190902_180200.jpg
 
That tang doesnt touch it.? Maybe an algae blenny would keep it down.
 
The kole tang nips at it but its so rooted on the rock I don't think its helping. The hippo wants nothing to do with it lol. I could get lawnmower blenny I heard they will eat this.
 
IMO, the algae looks pretty nice... it will probably go away on its own within a few weeks, though.

That's a good-looking tank!
 
I wish my grass was that green LOL!
Thank you! Its my first tank using a canister, it's my "Super simple build"
 
Even if the lawnmower blenny doesn't eat it; I definitely recommend them. Wonderful, full of personality fish. I love mine.
 
That algae is easy to handle with snails. Get a couple turbo snails and it will be gone in a few days. I would not dose any chemicals for that.
 
I prefer supercharger snails.

GET IT???? I AM SO FUNNY!!!
 
In the picture I posted, I have a pretty large turbo on the glass. I could try a few more turbos, lawnmower blenny, and a few blue leg hermits?
 
Is the starry the same thing as a lawnmower? just different colors?

lawnblenny.JPG starry blenny.JPG
 
I'm not familiar with starry blennies; check with the folks in the fish sub-forum though?

Agreed on the Mexican turbos.
 
liveaquaria and Saltwaterfish are both out of stock on the Mexican turbos. Any other snails that you guys recommend that might work?
 
Trochus snails also do well but nothing I’ve come across has an appetite like the Mexican and zebra turbo snails. The zebra ones get pretty large though. I have some the size of a baseball.
 
wow thats crazy huge!. Im not sure why everything seems to be out of stock, is there a shortage going on or something?
 
Also, I found a big thread on Vibrant it doesnt sound to harsh on any corals/fish?
 
Not harsh and does work....but you will most likely get cyanobacteria after finished dosing it...
Turbos do get huge...i like astreas myself. Theyre just not good at righting themselves if they tip over.
 
Why would you likely get cyano after? Something in it that causes that?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top