What kind of lighting for corals?

67RedDonzi

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 13, 2014
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 210 gallon this weekend and am wondering what the best kind of lighting would be for corals? I want something that will help them grow and show off their colors the best. The tank is 7 feet long if that makes a difference. If you need any extra information just ask. I don't have any specific corals in mind at the moment, just looking for a light that will be good for all corals....if that's possible. Thank you
 
I would check out the Reef RADIANCE lumentec pro lights. They are fully programmable.
 
I'd go with t5 they are the most reliable or metal halides but then you have to deal with heat! T5s ask the way
 
I have t5' s now but you have to replace the bulbs anywhere from every 6-12 months. When I upgrade I'll do the lumentec pro.
 
Is there a good website that I can buy these from? Do I have to worry about what the best bulbs are for any of these?
 
Thank you, I will look into these. Any websites for MH ? Just curious and want to get an idea on all options
 
If you do go with a t5 fixture , aquatic life makes a nice one. That's what I have, you can program your blue and whites for the time you want them on and your moon lights. You just have 1 cord.
 
rjcranor: Thank you, I like the idea of being able to program the light times....also one cord would be nice! How do your corals do with this? Do you have sps's?
 
With such a large tank I assume that you have some funding to drop into this tank! I would suggest that you don't cheap out on this part of your build as it is one of the most important components of the set up! I have used t5s leds and MH all on different and the same tanks! IME and opinion I would have to say that one isn't better than the other. MH are great and are a classic in the hobby and for decades have proven to provide sufficient PAR and color for corals at the 20k light spect. You will then have the issue of an inflated power bill and will most likely have issues with heat in the tank and a chiller/ventilation will be needed. T5s don't provide the strength or intensity as the MH lights but the heat isn't as much of an issue and the spread is great! I have seen great health and growth under these lights and recommend ATI fixtures and bulbs mostly of the blue spect. Both of these options also have the downside of replacing bulbs and dull bulbs will promote algae blooms. Finally Leds, these guys ime and imo are pretty awesome! They will not adversely effect your power consumption and the bulbs will last longer than the fixture itself. Color is amazing with leds and coral growth is comparable to the other light sources. The downsides to leds are that they are concentrated light sources and have the tendency to cause a spotlight effect in the cheaper fixtures. There are some higher end leds that have great innovative reflectors which is increasing the spread and PAR of the light which I believe will soon be the cause of replacing all other lights. Due to this spotlight effect it maybe necessary to have more fixtures. If I had the money and didn't care about my light bill I would make a board with all three lights providing an assortment of PAR and wavelengths! Good luck reefing!
 
Actually I don't have a ton of funds but I do want to get good quality lights that will keep my corals alive and thriving. I just cant pay the top prices. I got a very good deal on the 210 gallon that I am going to pick up tomorrow. With the DT, 75 gal fuge, miracle mud, skimmer, 2 heaters, 2 wave makers, 2 phosphate reactors, 100lbs live rock, 100lbs sand, pumps for fuge, etc....I am paying $800. Thank you for all of the information TarHeelReefer22, I think it will take me a few minutes to get my head wrapped around everything you said lol but it is very helpful!
 
Go with mh t5 combo...it is proven growth and color. LEDs can be hit or miss.
 
I would go with t5s for spread and growth and leds for color and growth. Also thats a good amount of lr to start but you will find yourself i the market for more soon. If you do MH and t5s you will find yourself buying a chiller to keep your temp down and will prob be paying as much for it as you are the whole set up! Food for thought
 
If you are looking into LED lighting, there is only one light I recommend, the Ecotech Radion. These lights combine LED technology with powerful software, and, IMHO are the best lighting option out there today. Reality is, you would need 5-6 radions for your tank. If you buy the current GEN3 light, that comes to around 4k$ for lights. If that isn't feasible, there are a variety of metal halide T5 combos on the market, sometimes for sale at a reduced price due to the rising popularity of LED lights. Metal halides are still popular, and more than capable of growing any species of coral or invert. I would advise against T5 lights only for several reasons. Coral growth, as far as SPS is concerned, can be limited with T5 and it takes a lot of bulbs, 8 or more, to really produce what 3 or 4 metal halides can. T5 only would be your cheapest route, but with lighting, you get what you pay for.
 
If you are looking into LED lighting, there is only one light I recommend, the Ecotech Radion. These lights combine LED technology with powerful software, and, IMHO are the best lighting option out there today. Reality is, you would need 5-6 radions for your tank. If you buy the current GEN3 light, that comes to around 4k$ for lights. If that isn't feasible, there are a variety of metal halide T5 combos on the market, sometimes for sale at a reduced price due to the rising popularity of LED lights. Metal halides are still popular, and more than capable of growing any species of coral or invert. I would advise against T5 lights only for several reasons. Coral growth, as far as SPS is concerned, can be limited with T5 and it takes a lot of bulbs, 8 or more, to really produce what 3 or 4 metal halides can. T5 only would be your cheapest route, but with lighting, you get what you pay for.
+1 you get what you pay for... but you could do some leds fixtures and say two t5s with six bulbs in each
 
oh boy lol, I have a lot of price checking to do. Lets say I decided to go with MH (Not saying that I will yet), would keeping them hung a good distance above the tank help with the heat problem?
 
oh boy lol, I have a lot of price checking to do. Lets say I decided to go with MH (Not saying that I will yet), would keeping them hung a good distance above the tank help with the heat problem?

I have my metal halides hanging very close to my water and I have to run my heater to keep my water at 78 degrees. I've neve owner or used a chiller. All of my equipment is in my house and I keep my house at 72-74 degrees in the summer and summers in Starkville reach 106 degrees outside. The tank will try to reach equilibrium with its environment, so if your room is not over 80 degrees you should not have a problem.

No matter what type of lighting you use, if your room the tank or sump is in is higher than your desired tank temperature you will have to use a chiller because that is the equilibrium temperature your tank will try to reach. I use two thermometers, one in sump and one just below water surface. Typically my tank is one degree cooler at the water surface than the sump, even with my halides blasting for five hours a day.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top