What makes the Neptune APEX controller worth $799.00

Not really. I just updated my DOS via apex at the airport. I don't think my sps would have enjoyed the alk swing that would have ensued without this capability ...

It also shuts off my skimmer when my locker is full, protects ato from overflowing if my Tunz fails, shut off pumps incase of leaks or drain clogs, feeds my tank with auto feeder, provides backup failsafe on both chiller and heater temp control, controls vortech pumps across several settings throughout the day, etc. etc. etc. I could continue but you get the point...
+1
 
Now what's connected to apex are(again for on off function)
Temp prob...good experience
Salinity prob...horrible prob but i use it for relative indication not absolut.
Heater control
Skimmer so I can turn on off during water change
My khg using their module so I get my kh readings on fusion.
Flow meters via fmm and atk that I gave up on them as they are horrible.
My ATO I use the good old breakout box from apex paired with 2 floats.
Chiller on off.
My zeo reactor in off
Ph prob..good experience thus far of I do proper calibration every couple of months.
Finally some water on flow sensor which I also gave up on since both atk and fmm lock up and become useless couple of times a week...

So I'm currently working remotely so my need for monitoring is paramount. I'm going to be forced to pay the extortion money and purchase an Apex sooner than later. Your post makes a good argument for the full Apex rather than the EL as it looks like you're making good use of the included probes. Probably won't go the DOS route - I think I can get a decent 4 head wifi unit for a fraction of the price of a couple of DOS units. Can anyone make any good arguments for not spending the extra $300 clams for the full version over the EL?
 
So I'm currently working remotely so my need for monitoring is paramount. I'm going to be forced to pay the extortion money and purchase an Apex sooner than later. Your post makes a good argument for the full Apex rather than the EL as it looks like you're making good use of the included probes. Probably won't go the DOS route - I think I can get a decent 4 head wifi unit for a fraction of the price of a couple of DOS units. Can anyone make any good arguments for not spending the extra $300 clams for the full version over the EL?
Not really, all what's described is using the old apex lol. Now sure how you got your conclusion but go for it:))
As I said before, apex have great value for on off functions that you can do remotely. Anything beyond that better spent on solid equipments.
My advice is to get the cheapest apex so you get the fusion and the outlets to do all the automation and online monitoring you like while spending on better other functions.
 
Old or new I was meaning that the full Apex comes with probes that the EL does not. Like you, I only need it for the brain and monitoring capability. I plan to supplement with more reliable components.
 
Old or new I was meaning that the full Apex comes with probes that the EL does not. Like you, I only need it for the brain and monitoring capability. I plan to supplement with more reliable components.
Oh got it. I would recommend you have the basic 3 probs. Ph, temp and salinity. Cause even that some of thes probs are not accurate, they are still useful to indicate an event in the system.
 
Unfortunately, as much as I like the ease of managing DOS dosers via Fusion, the lack of local data storage is a deal killer. I now have a GHL Doser on the way and will likely switch to this as my primary doser at a minimum. SPS keepers beware of Neptune dosers and check out GHL as an alternative. Not sure where the NSI group was on this decision...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/are-dosing-schedules-stored-on-the-ghl-doser.548396/#post-5648367
I have GHL on my frag tank. Love it. You will like the doser
 
Buy a seneye reef, temp , ph, ammonia, and a par meter ...plus leak detection ..with alerts for all ...
 
I guess I stand corrected. DOS fallback clarification from Neptune in the below thread. This stuff is complicated.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dos-fallback.547113/#post-5648540
Russ is correct. The fallback have nothing to do with network. When I talked about dos issues I did not mean that. I was referring to the reliability and quality issues the dos have and some of the bugs where the dos dump much more additives than intended.
But russ is correct about the fall back description it's not about netwok it's about what do you want the device state to be if the device lost connectivity with the controller.
Example: if you have return pump, what would you want it state to be if it lost communication with the controller(controller froze, aquabus cable removed..etc) in my case ad an example I do fall back on so device stay on.
But say you have a doser or a reactor that do function you want to have fine controll over and rather shut it off when you cannot controll it.say a heater..then fall back off is the right one.
 
Just look at the control.

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 7.56.21 PM.png
 
Last edited:
My cousin just sent me his standard apex this week. I was excited to get it up and running, but upon set up, all I get is a pink/purple light on the base and flashing orange on the EB832. We will see what Neptune says. Kinda bummed but he was just running it.

If it does what it's supposed to, I'm sure it's worth the coin.
 
My cousin just sent me his standard apex this week. I was excited to get it up and running, but upon set up, all I get is a pink/purple light on the base and flashing orange on the EB832. We will see what Neptune says. Kinda bummed but he was just running it.

If it does what it's supposed to, I'm sure it's worth the coin.
It might be bricked from turning off during a update that's what happened to mine had neptune send me a refurbished one with a down payment once they got mine they gave all my money back didn't even have to pay shipping the customer service is pretty good
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top