What type of anemone do I have?

love them both..for sure on clowns,beautiful buckshot/bullet hole"designer name"
nem...i'm going ritteri..i googled this time ,spots on trunk ,give away..99% sure..great score!!
looks just fine to me,any probs come on back ;) n
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
 
LOVE UR Ocellaris! Also fishguy, for the ritteri anemone, do you have extremely strong lighting and chaotic flow? Also I love ritteri nems. Goodluck!
 
I was under the assumption that feeding a nem that often could result in a bacterial infection....

I almost never feed my nems, maybe once every couple months they get a piece of silversides, but that’s it.
 
Your anemone is not a BTA for sure. BTA does not have verrucae or live in the sand like the third picture. There are tree possibility. It is either a LTA (M. doreensis) or one of the non hosting anemone. It may also be a Malu (H. malu) which is a sand anemone also.

Does to have an orange foot? If I have to guess I would choose LTA.
 
I would think there is very little risk with a quality food source. I feed my small nems regularly because I want faster growth and when they are a size I like, I stop feeding. They usually get pretty puffed up and happy after a good meal.
 
Your anemone is not a BTA for sure. BTA does not have verrucae or live in the sand like the third picture. There are tree possibility. It is either a LTA (M. doreensis) or one of the non hosting anemone. It may also be a Malu (H. malu) which is a sand anemone also.

Yeah, I guess that new pic you can see the verrucae. But I thought LTA's had more tentacles on the oral disc surrounding the mouth.
 
i am seeing dots on trunk/ are we ruling out ritteri??
 
LOVE UR Ocellaris! Also fishguy, for the ritteri anemone, do you have extremely strong lighting and chaotic flow? Also I love ritteri nems. Goodluck!
I have the Fluval Marine and red 2.0 59 watt light and I am going to up the flow today. He moved around for about 2 days and then he always went back to that spot now he's been there for 5 days.
 
It is not:
H. magnifica or E. quadricolor because verrucae
H. crisps due to living in the sand
S. giantea, S. haddoni or S. mertensii due to the shape and color of the verrucae
H. aurora due to the shape of the tentacles.

It may be a H. malu but unlikely due to the shape of the tentacles, too tapper and pointed.
‘It maybe non clownfish hosting anemones. There are many of these.

It is most likely a M. doreensis. The numbers of tentacles tapper and pointed, thinning of the tentacles around mouth, verrucae, living in the sand all pointed to M. doreensis.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

WELCOME TO R2R
 
Yes I have been feeding him shrimp and scallops ever 2 to 3 days. I've had him for about a week he moved around the first 2 days and then hasn't moved from that spot. The lady I got him from said she fed him once every other week. Which from some of the research I've done I though that was odd.
Probably a silly question but I’ve not started any corals yet but how do you feed him please, direct drop onto him? Thanks
 
Probably a silly question but I’ve not started any corals yet but how do you feed him please, direct drop onto him? Thanks
Yes I hold it above his mouth and he will literally take it out of my hand with his tentacles. I tried just dropping it and it floated away. He seems to like taking it out of my hand. I know some anemones can sting...
 
tongs or a feeding stick,i would only feed him say every 7-10 days ,is large but does not need that much food,do the clowns go in or nip at him?
 
It’s a LTA imo. I dcNot see anything to suggest otherwise. How deep is your sandbed?
 
Can we just listen to OroinN, he knows what he is talking about and what he said qbout the anemones make sense.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top