Whats the right way to level a tank

What you did looks fine. You won't have much weight on the sides, this is okay for most stands, but maybe not if it is custom, diy or weird in some other way. Both the carpet and floor will move once you fill it and it will be off level. This probably isn't a big deal. You can fill it with tap water just to check if you are really anal.

I have floor stands in my basement for added support. After I filled a perfectly level tank, I had to jack up the floor to level it again. This is not needed even for my 270. It would be overkill on your 120 but it is an option.
 
I recommend you keep an eye on the level while you're filling the tank- once mine was filled, it resettled and I had to add extra shims
 
I almost always suggest a solid piece of wood, under the stand when on carpet. never know how/where it will settle and it distributes the weight across the whole piece. the level from/on the plywood. but i might be crazy.
 
What you did looks fine. You won't have much weight on the sides, this is okay for most stands, but maybe not if it is custom, diy or weird in some other way. Both the carpet and floor will move once you fill it and it will be off level. This probably isn't a big deal. You can fill it with tap water just to check if you are really anal.

I have floor stands in my basement for added support. After I filled a perfectly level tank, I had to jack up the floor to level it again. This is not needed even for my 270. It would be overkill on your 120 but it is an option.
I recommend you keep an eye on the level while you're filling the tank- once mine was filled, it resettled and I had to add extra shims
I almost always suggest a solid piece of wood, under the stand when on carpet. never know how/where it will settle and it distributes the weight across the whole piece. the level from/on the plywood. but i might be crazy.
I will keep an eye on it. Right now is perfect leveled. I know once I fill the tank it will move a little. I hope it wont move a lot. I don want to re do all this work again.
 
I bought the 24'' square plywood with rubber backing and screwed them together tiled the top and then shimmed the tank stable as can be
 
I took the acrylic out. I put two half inch pieces of wold there. They ate much wider than the acrylic. I used the shims on the sides to suport the empty space on the middle
image.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top