When did you see results from carbon dosing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zach W
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I think it was just many many years of overfeeding and poor maintenance habits. Carbon dosing (vinegar) eventually took care of the problem. In fact, now I struggle to keep nitrates above 1, even after quitting carbon dosing about 7 or 8 months ago.

How are you keeping your nitrates down now? Do you have a deep sand bed or use bio blocks?
 
How are you keeping your nitrates down now? Do you have a deep sand bed or use bio blocks?
I have sand (but it's not deep). I did add quite a bit of Matrix to my sump. I also use a skimmer and grow chaeto. I probably should remove the Matrix to see if that gets my nitrates up a bit, but everything is doing pretty good right now, so I haven't messed with it.
 
I read some of these comments to my wife and she was wondering if I was enrolled in chemistry grad school course!

I'm holding my NO3 at 10 PPM and my PO4 at 0.018 PPM, I have a 3 year old tank and have noticed what looks like some red turf algae and some beginning of bubble and hair algae. I'm inclined to start dosing but have learned over 8 years of this hobby to thread slow! I'm trying to reduce the algae naturally by chaeto in sump and dosing good bacteria. I have what I consider a moderately stocked tank and feed apox 3 times a day with BRS homemade food.

SPS corals have great polyp extensinsion and growing albeit slowly,
Parameters:
alk 8.4
mag 1490
cal 440
sal 35.5
temp 79

any suggestions or thoughts on removing algae?
 
I dosed it for many years. I also did not dose it for many years on the same system. I can see the exact changes it caused. None were negative at appropriate doses. :)
Hi Randy,

Will carbon dosing feed a "proteinaous bacteria load" that must then be exported by skimming, otherwise risking making a tank cloudy?

Also, must GAC be removed when carbon dosing?

Thanks.
 
No need to remove GAC. I didn’t.

Do you have a skimmer?

some folks carbon dose without skimmers. I think the requirement for them with organic carbon dosing is often exaggerated.
 
No need to remove GAC. I didn’t.

Do you have a skimmer?

some folks carbon dose without skimmers. I think the requirement for them with organic
rbon dosing is


often exaggerat
No need to remove GAC. I didn’t.

Do you have a skimmer?

some folks carbon dose without skimmers. I think the requirement for them with organic carbon dosing is often exaggerated.

I do have a skimmer. But it never skims anything from my 5g pico :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top