why are people saying aussie shipments are stopping??

Ahh ok, so they DO look different then? Maybe Zoanuts just has indo-acans or something. I'm sure it is all a big scam, which is why I prefer to trade with you nice folks here.

Zoanuts has both. He has some that are indos as well as "true" Aussies. The Aussies tend to be more colorful and ore color combinations besides just reds and greens.
 
Zoanuts has quite a few aussies..
 
When I was a store I learned early on it didn't really pay to order a lot of corals in Nov/Dec/Jan. Cities permits for the year pretty much run out and it takes a couple of weeks into January for wholesalers to get the new shipments. A lot of what was available in those months was less than spectacular. Don't be suprised that by late January real cool stuff starts coming in again.
 
When I was a store I learned early on it didn't really pay to order a lot of corals in Nov/Dec/Jan. Cities permits for the year pretty much run out and it takes a couple of weeks into January for wholesalers to get the new shipments. A lot of what was available in those months was less than spectacular. Don't be suprised that by late January real cool stuff starts coming in again.

Actually that's not true for everyone, Diamondsinthereef had a huge shipment a few weeks ago of huge colorful aussie acan colonies. Unfortunately his site isn't updated much, so you have to go to his place to see what's available.
 
I have also heard Aussie is closing. I have my own Aussie Supplier as well as a great transhipper/wholesaler. I do not know if it is a rumer trying to raise prices and make things sell faster or if it is true. Only time will tell.
 
So what's the main difference from aussies compared to regular indos? just the color variation? anything else to distinguish it?
 
So what's the main difference from aussies compared to regular indos? just the color variation? anything else to distinguish it?

From what I've seen, it's color variation and intensity, polyp shape and size.
 
I've also heard the aussie shipments are gonna close down for a while.....

BUT, i'm betting that might be part of some big ploy.....this whole Aussie craze has got stores see dollar bills..some just come across as too dang greedy....for shame!!!!!!......you've got to be a ****** to think any coral is worth $2350 for 30 polyps (the highest price i've seen up here in Toronto so far)

funny enough, the store that stated the aussie coral market will be going on an indefinite hiatus also said they're getting in an aussie acan shipment in a few days...LOL....the soap opera continues.

Zach.
 
Its all a marketing ploy. Supply and Demand. Australian Corals are very expensive wholesale. They are 8-10x the amount of indo corals. It all has to do with Indonesian collectors (third world country) making pennies and Australian citizens making hundreds. Thats the whole reason for the prices. All this craze is doing is ruining our oceans. Probally by next year these acans will be endangered. Acans are not like acros which grow fast these are slower growers. But I think the market is saturated already. Until the next coral craze comes I guess Australian Corals are hot for now.
 
Acans are not like acros which grow fast these are slower growers. But I think the market is saturated already.

I'm not sure if Acans are slow growers but they're growing like weeds in my tank(target feeding) as I'd would imagine they would grow a lot more faster in the wild being the fact that there's an abundance of freely floating foods in the ocean .... :tongue7:

JMHO,
Paul
 
Mine are growing well too. I say they are growing faster than my sps for sure. :D
 
Compared to SPS. I think SPS grow faster. I get about 1/2-1" a month growth on SPS depending on species. Acans maybe 1-3 polyps a month. SPS are the building blocks of the reef. Most live rock is old SPS skeletons.
 
Its all a marketing ploy. Supply and Demand. Australian Corals are very expensive wholesale. They are 8-10x the amount of indo corals. It all has to do with Indonesian collectors (third world country) making pennies and Australian citizens making hundreds. Thats the whole reason for the prices. All this craze is doing is ruining our oceans. Probally by next year these acans will be endangered. Acans are not like acros which grow fast these are slower growers. But I think the market is saturated already. Until the next coral craze comes I guess Australian Corals are hot for now.


i wouldn't say that the aussie's are solely to blame for the mark ups.......b/c i know of several cherry pickers and online coral selling places that have a 1000x markup on stuff they bought. (i.e. people who were buying the colonies from that store in canada for $300-$500/each, and then selling them cut up at $100+/polyp. that has nothing to do with the aussie end of things, and everything to do with american capatilstic greed.
 
Its all a marketing ploy. Supply and Demand. Australian Corals are very expensive wholesale. They are 8-10x the amount of indo corals. It all has to do with Indonesian collectors (third world country) making pennies and Australian citizens making hundreds. Thats the whole reason for the prices. All this craze is doing is ruining our oceans. Probally by next year these acans will be endangered. Acans are not like acros which grow fast these are slower growers. But I think the market is saturated already. Until the next coral craze comes I guess Australian Corals are hot for now.

here are some thoughts that are not mine, but from australian reefers more knowledgable about their waters than I.
I just did a copy and paste of some of the better points.

the great barrier reef maybe in danger of becoming rubble, but it will not mean all the corals die and disapeer as the water temps rise further south the corals and fish will journey down and it all keeps on evolving around the environmental conditions.

silt from the sugarcane farmers is far more dangerous IMO.

--------
All activities including harvesting is strictly controlled and regulated, collection of corals within the GBR is allowed only within a few very limited areas and in Australia the Global Aquarium trade is not a threat to the GBR. the sugar industry or the cattle and other farming practices are greater anthropological affects. If the GBF is to suffer from the affects of global warming I think it wise to spread the gene pool as much as we can.

Coral collection as it has been mentioned is so closely watched and monitored that with all the coral quota that we have here in Australia there would hardly be any inpact on the reef.

Lets pretend that there was to be a cyclone like the one that hit darwin recently, that would wipe out more coral that what collectors could collect in 10 years.

And everytime they put oil rigs or desallination plants in the sea, they dredge up more coral and live rock than all the collectors collect in a year.

Just because collectors export does not mean that there quota is bigger, it just means the collector makes more money from the coral us Aussies are not prepared to pay for.

And to the biggest problem we face is the run offs from industries, but because theindustries generate huge taxable dollars not much will be done about it.
-----
This topic will be around even when my kids are old because there will always be pro's and con's about the hobby we are in and everyones opinion on it, but if we look at facts we should all get diving certificates because one day the reef will be a no take zone, and the only way we will see it is if we go for a recreational dive or get corals from propagators.

This can be a very emotive issue especially when people don't have all the facts in front of them. Many of the newer members of RTAW or even the hobby would be unaware of the attemped shutdown of the GBR coral fishery in 2001/02. There was a lot of good material that was put together at that time which clearly demonstrated beyond doubt that the current collection quotas are totally 100% sustainable (meaning there is no impact on the well being of the reef at all). As far as the Australian industry is concerned the debate on wild caught vs propogated has no relevance at all.

I can't remember who said it (I think it may have been one of the AIMS scientists) but the best summation of the issue that was given at the time described the impact of coral collection from the GBR as being roughly similar to the wear and tear impact of riding a pushbike on a highway. As in totally negligble and even more so when considered in the light of other factors.
-------
a long time ago there was a programme on tv -it may have been Ben Cropp or the Taylors,they filmed a ships anchor chain wiping out a large patch at least 100m2 of sps,total devastation,so i dont think the tiny amount collected by fragging off pieces for the aquarium industry would make any difference
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top