Why make th back of the tank black?

nice tank. i like the black backing. i am redoing my brothers tank this weekend. as a belated b day present he is getting a black back and black bottom 90 to replace his 60. best of all he has no idea its comming..lol
 
Sara, this is the stuff that AGE uses: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...e_Life_USA&idProduct=BL1111&idCategory=FIAQBG

I accidently put a couple small scratches in the back of mine while moving it in (dumb, dumb... dumb!), and AGE sent me a new one (linked). It's an absolute nightmare to get off, but it can be done, with lots of goo-gone ;)

The stuff comes in a roll, and I noticed that there wa a couple "creases" of sorts in the new one I received, but didn't think anything of it... well I was wrong. After re-applying the new one, you can see a vertical line going up and down in my background. At first you couldn't see it, but as it dried it became more apparent. I've come to the conclusion that in the "creases" I noted, the vynal was not presseed firmly against the background, which degrated the "stickiness" of it, causing it to leave that vertcal line. Needles to say at some point I'll be pulling it off... again, and I'll be painting it this time as to not have to deal with this BS.

My 2 pennies.
 
Thanks, I'll try and avoid ones with creases in it. I took down my 92G and it appears they used vinyl too on it. I can't stand the LFS that sold it to me anymore so I dare not call and ask where to get it. My 92 didn't have any creases in its background that I noticed.
 
My 92 didn't have any creases in its background that I noticed.
Yea, this was probably avoidable, as I saw where some of the vynal had "creased/pulled away" from the backing it was stuck to before I used it... I figuired by using an ungodly amount of the soapy solution it would be fine... if I go this route again I'll just make sure its 100% smooth and flat before peeling the backgroung off - otherwise I'll return it until they send me a good one ;)
 
I used the Watercolors on one of my tanks. I was able to get the creases out with the plastic tool that comes with the product...
 
Vinyl here works like a charm any sign/decal shop should have vinyl
 
The vinyl gets applied to the outside correct? Can you see air bubbles after its applied. Would you guys recommend paint, or the stuff from the marine depot link as the best?
 
I prefer blue honestly! Makes everything look MUCH more vibrant, natural, and open..

I have used black and it makes the tank look dark! Coral colors did look "allittle" better though.. But not worth it!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top