Working in the Aquarium Industry: Would you consider it?

Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry?

  • Yes

    Votes: 463 48.0%
  • Yes but would depend

    Votes: 310 32.1%
  • No

    Votes: 175 18.1%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 17 1.8%

  • Total voters
    965
I am retired now and enjoy working on my own reef tank and going on vacation trips, that is why I answered NO.
 
Feel like its not in demand at all and even shrinking. But farming and selling coral could be a one man operation through ebay.
 
Feel like its not in demand at all and even shrinking. But farming and selling coral could be a one man operation through ebay.

Every LFS in LA has been doing reno's since the pandemic haha. Why do you think it's shrinking? From what I know it's blown up since covid.
 
I’ve worked in the aquarium industry for the past 47 years. Started in retail, then wholesale, back to retail, then public aquariums for 35 years. I would NOT start a new LFS under the current climate - as much as I’d love to return to my roots!
 
Yes for sure the amazing be able to learn tons of stuff on caring for coral and fish that you don't already know when you get to be able to have the biggest fish tanks in multiple multiple fish tanks every day of your life yes please sign me up
 
I would be interested in working on the operations, business, or production side of the the industry (especially areas that have a conservation focus).
 
Every LFS in LA has been doing reno's since the pandemic haha. Why do you think it's shrinking? From what I know it's blown up since covid.
I'm in the lower new york/connecticut area and a lot of private shops shutdown in the past 2 decades. Prices have jumped quite a bit too.
 
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

I managed a fish store many years ago. The industry is fun but people are sketchy. It was nice to visit wholesalers and see amazing sea life and score great deals. I have a buddy who has a store and I help out now and again. Turns out that a store is more work than a reef tank.


2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

I will be wiring the new store soon. This hobby owns everyone in it. RIP Sammy.



giphy.gif
 
Yes I would love too.
would love to own a LFS that specialized in selling fish, exotic and hard to come by ones.
 
Every LFS in LA has been doing reno's since the pandemic haha. Why do you think it's shrinking? From what I know it's blown up since covid.
I would imagine because people are locked down working from home it gives them something fun to keep their mind busy.
 
I´m 70 + still working 25 % in the area - for the moment in a public aquarium. It has been water, fish and everything else that is wet since 1980. Before that I was a hobbyist from 1972 working at a shipyard :p above the water surface :D

Sincerely Lasse
 
Today let's have a little fun and talk about working in the aquarium industry. Some of you may a;ready but many, and most of you do not. But would you ever consider it?

1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?
Yes, absolutely. A job's a job, but when you can work a job that you're passionate about, it's much easier to muster up the motivation to excel.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?
I would want to be involved in wholesale aquaculture. Whether that meant owning and operating a coral farm, or working for someone like ORA or Biota. The equipment side of things is interesting, but aquaculture has the added benefit of indirectly (or directly, in some cases) helping out the ocean as well. I've been in wholesale my entire career, and I genuinely love interacting with business owners and buyers. Right now I work for a company that sells soaps, lotions, dish towels, scarves and similar products. I do... more than OK with that (at this point I've sold hundreds of thousands of soap bars... possibly millions), but working with something I really care about would be amazing. And to be involved, even indirectly, in coral propagation or fish-raising would be another feather in my cap.

But, of course, the big downside to all that would be moving out of the PNW. If only someone would offer me a well-paying aquaculture job that I could do from home... anyone? =)
 
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

Absolutely, being able to work in the industry and make enough to support family would be amazing.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?


Working at ORA type of facility breeding fish and cultivating coral would be my preference. To own that type of business and generate a profit would be even better.
 
yes i would and I did.I owned my own shop for about 3 years.Loved it.The only problem in my area there wasn't the interest in the hobby.I am going back 20 years.I just couldn't build a large enough customer base to keep it going.Maybe now it would be better with all the new tech. that we have and the knowlege that we have learned. It was not a job it was my life.
 
I would love to own my own reef store. The reality is, I like my steady government paycheck. Maybe if I was to retire and wanted something to do.
I would love to get paid for something I'm willing to volunteer for.
 
If I could find a job at an aquarium store that paid me as well as I get paid now, I would jump at the chance. I would love to help other people and just work on tanks full time.
 
Yes, of course! Would love to be doing some aquaculture/mariculture work of some sort. It would be my dream job. Not too interested in working at or owning an LFS.

(If anyone knows of some openings within that field don't hesitate to let me know ;))
 
Here's my most recent experience. Bought a coral from Aquasd, it was having a problem & the manger was nice enough to call me after a follow up email. I had to take it back for them to help me-so I pack it up & head down (30 minutes away). When the manger open the box he was astounded on how well it was packed & asked me if I wanted a job! LOL ps great customer service!!!!
I worked in several pet stores starting in the late 70's-early 80"s. So I had my first saltwater tank then!
 
Today let's have a little fun and talk about working in the aquarium industry. Some of you may a;ready but many, and most of you do not. But would you ever consider it?

1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?


aquarium industry fish bag.jpg
I would love to! I think it’d be a great learning experience first off, what kind of hobbiest wouldn’t want to stare at the tanks all day, next question is where do I sign up lol
 
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

Yes! I would love to work in the industry and have thought about going back to college to get a relevant degree! The main reason why is since our oceans are dying I feel like it should be our jobs as hobbyist to preserve these aquatic creatures and attempt to breed and cultivate as much as we can in hopes that one day we can restore the oceans.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

I would love to breed all types of frogfish and other obscure/odd fish, I would also like to do a kind of Aquatic oddities mini aquarium that features some the weirdest sea creatures in the world. Realistically I would be happy to work at a public aquarium or even just at a coral farm.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top