1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?
2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?
As a recent college graduate trying to get into parts of the aquarium industry, this question is so multifaceted that it's hard to say yes or no. Some parts of the industry I'd dive right in to (fish breeding and propagation in general? Heck yeah!); other parts, I'd be hesitant to touch. Fair warning, I'm going to actively try to sell myself to potential employers in this response. It's also difficult. For some places, I simply don't know who to cold email/cold call to ask about potential job openings.
On one hand, you have the retail jobs, The LFS's and those who work there. I love going to my LFS and talking with the people who work there as well as the other customers, but I'm hesitant to say I could do that every day. My fellow customers scare me sometimes...
On the complete opposite side of the spectrum are the public aquaria. I've been sending apps to every one that lists a job vacancy, but the sad truth, is that if you don't have the connections, you're not likely to get to the interview stage. Most of the AZA accredited orgs ask for 2-3+ years of work in an AZA accredited org for a starting position. It's a real catch-22 there; While I have aquatics experience, my lack of work experience for a big aquarium shows. You have to do (unpaid) volunteer work first, and sometimes since it's not paid, the aquarium won't count it as experience. Also, hi potential recruiter! PM me!!
There's also the wholesaler/importer/direct to customer. Think places like Among The Reef, Quality Marine, LiveAquaria, etc.. They're like the LFS, but I can see myself working there. I definitely could not do customer care full time(like I said, my fellow customers can be scary), but R&D, animal care, (and okay, a small amount of customer care) etc are things that are up my alley. But with these, I'm put in a weird situation where I'm a customer...but I'm also asking them to hire me?
There's also YouTube. But...that's a giant kettle of fish. On one hand, you have the sensationalist youtubers, people who do stuff for the reactions, the likes, comments, etc. It's fairly easy to take a turn towards the dark side (inhumane fishkeeping, etc.), since you can get a lot of ad revenue and potentially sponsorships that way. The only way I could see myself doing Youtube, is if I did some sort of education/ScienceTube thing, that documented experiments that could better the hobby, without straying into sensationalism. It couldn't be a full time thing, because YT is weird about ad revenue, and I'm not sure I could hunt down enough sponsors.
The captive propagation scene is interesting, although I'm not really aware of any opportunities yet. Places like Poma Labs, AlgaeBarn, SeahorseSource/Seahorse Savvy, and Reed Mariculture (maybe also Reef Nutrition?). I'd love to work with people like Matt Wittenrich (Poma Labs), but even when I've sent an email, (and a follow up...), there's been no bite...
Then, there's research. Cortney Ohs' Lab, Andrew Rhyne's Lab, Chad Callahan's lab, etc. I'd love to be a research associate in one of their labs and help out with doing research. Eventually this could take me into pursuing a PhD/Master's, but I'm just not ready for that (yet). I'd love to just do ornamental aquaculture research for a full time job eventually.