Would you dip a goniopora everyday to keep it stable?

Just saw this thread, for me I try not to buy dieing coral if it supports a vendor that practices poor husbandry etc (if I feel thy shouldn't be in buisness) but I have taken in free coral from reputable vendors if they give it to me to nurse back etc..
If your addiment in nursing lps back to life look into ciprofloxacin for brown jelly treatment (i know you mentioned bj) it's the only way I've found to bring infected heads back vs cutting them off to save the rest of the stock. The dose I've been successful with is 1mg per gallon stirred into tank water and added to the dt every day for a week. The down side to this is that if this is bacterial and you keep getting coral from the same source that's infected each new piece should go through a qt week of treatment before going into the now clean dt.
 
Dont beat yourself up - You tried. As for multiple dippings - absolutely not as this type of coral stresses very easily and and has strict requirements. Goni is a coral that will challenge the most experienced hobbyist and can be great one day and wither the next. Goni are photosynthetic corals which obtain their nutritional needs from light for color and energy. Inadequate light will cause them to change color and even shrink. If there is a change in lighting you will have a basis for determining issue.If you introduced it under bright light- that will have had an impact. Additionally, water flow has a similar effect as too much flow will kill some of its cells and can start a reaction with others in the tank. Moderate to medium flow is a must to keep the tentacles swaying and keep debris off of them and deliver food in which must be fed regularly and adding aminos to the tank is a plus. Some good foods are chopped krill, mysis shrimp, phyto and zooplankton. Im not a fan of powdered plankton foods as they can raise phosphates quickly but they work well for goni and alveopora.
Assure no3 and po4 Not elevated. Also having some Manganese in the water helps them to reduce stress in general and important to have Mag at 1300-1350 to help stabilize CA and ALK level consumption

Here is mine under said conditions:

1674678326807.png
1674678364867.png
1A3A00B5-3B90-4678-9913-B473EEBA63EC.jpeg

14107793-3A1C-4E24-BDB1-B04D2CE13E9B.jpeg

You don’t believe me it’s ok no one else on this website does either
 
Dont beat yourself up - You tried. As for multiple dippings - absolutely not as this type of coral stresses very easily and and has strict requirements. Goni is a coral that will challenge the most experienced hobbyist and can be great one day and wither the next. Goni are photosynthetic corals which obtain their nutritional needs from light for color and energy. Inadequate light will cause them to change color and even shrink. If there is a change in lighting you will have a basis for determining issue.If you introduced it under bright light- that will have had an impact. Additionally, water flow has a similar effect as too much flow will kill some of its cells and can start a reaction with others in the tank. Moderate to medium flow is a must to keep the tentacles swaying and keep debris off of them and deliver food in which must be fed regularly and adding aminos to the tank is a plus. Some good foods are chopped krill, mysis shrimp, phyto and zooplankton. Im not a fan of powdered plankton foods as they can raise phosphates quickly but they work well for goni and alveopora.
Assure no3 and po4 Not elevated. Also having some Manganese in the water helps them to reduce stress in general and important to have Mag at 1300-1350 to help stabilize CA and ALK level consumption

Here is mine under said conditions:

1674678326807.png
1674678364867.png
Goniopora was too easy for me to keep I needed more of a challange so I bought dying goniopora instead I literally think I'm better than you.
 
@vetteguy53081
Did your dying goniopora die or live? If you can't answer yes or no that means your variables of the experiment are different than mine.
 
I'm really sorry for the losses and I truly admire your ambition to keep them alive. However, just because people don't agree that doesn't make them wrong necessarily. I've seen a few responses from folks including myself who have been doing this for a long time. We are not trying to say you are wrong but more so what we have been taught or have experienced. I truly meant not to upset you and I wish you the best :)
 
Most of us are kind and caring enough to comment and attempt to help every reefer :)
 
1A3A00B5-3B90-4678-9913-B473EEBA63EC.jpeg

14107793-3A1C-4E24-BDB1-B04D2CE13E9B.jpeg

You don’t believe me it’s ok no one else on this website does either
Never doubted you- Great to see this as i assumed it died off. Your pic explains the recovery- This is alveopora and not Goni which would never have tolerated multiple dips.

1674687225299.png
 
@vetteguy53081
Did your dying goniopora die or live? If you can't answer yes or no that means your variables of the experiment are different than mine.
before getting so hasty- advise was given for care and husbandry to see you succeed. In reading on you have an alveopora and not goni which explains recovery but your attitude wont invite too much help. Accept the help you get in respect rather than being a disgruntled volcano waiting to erupt!
Respect and gratitude goes a long way in any situation - Not just a reefing forum.
 
before getting so hasty- advise was given for care and husbandry to see you succeed. In reading on you have an alveopora and not goni which explains recovery but your attitude wont invite too much help. Accept the help you get in respect rather than being a disgruntled volcano waiting to erupt!
Respect and gratitude goes a long way in any situation - Not just a reefing forum.
after i get perm banned maybe
 
So $90 for an in tank refugium eh...

This was a hot thing like 15 yrs ago and people just went to the dollar store or whatever and bought a soap holder. Can still find the old threads about it.

1674688470019.png


:face-in-clouds:
 
So $90 for an in tank refugium eh...

This was a hot thing like 15 yrs ago and people just went to the dollar store or whatever and bought a soap holder. Can still find the old threads about it.

1674688470019.png


:face-in-clouds:
You are making me a weird combination of mad and sad please stop.
 
My GHA is looking thicc
2451B574-9928-4907-837F-737E6999B8F9.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Just saw this thread, for me I try not to buy dieing coral if it supports a vendor that practices poor husbandry etc (if I feel thy shouldn't be in buisness) but I have taken in free coral from reputable vendors if they give it to me to nurse back etc..
If your addiment in nursing lps back to life look into ciprofloxacin for brown jelly treatment (i know you mentioned bj) it's the only way I've found to bring infected heads back vs cutting them off to save the rest of the stock. The dose I've been successful with is 1mg per gallon stirred into tank water and added to the dt every day for a week. The down side to this is that if this is bacterial and you keep getting coral from the same source that's infected each new piece should go through a qt week of treatment before going into the now clean dt
 
Agree with others that’s dead and is unrecoverable! Did it recover then or die? Did you keep it?
It served its purpose to me so I left it to die. It took like 4 or 5 days to dissipate completely after I stopped dipping everyday. I have the skeleton somewhere in my tank I believe.
 
Right thats like dipping a piece of calcium reactor media at this point . Ar least it wasnt a big loss in terms of $$ . Gonis can be trickyyyy
Sounds like whoever sold you that is either ignorant to corals or got one over on you. Sorry man. Like other guy said fine s a better source
 
I buy dying coral for a steep discount to try and resuscitate them I spent $40 on this thread. I watch them while they are still in my lfs owners store so I believe they have a chance at life since they are in a slow decline in the store. I bought a dying plate coral for $10 that is making anthocauli a different lfs considers what I'm doing gambling on coral. I get somethings for 90% off I consider it a fair trade.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top