Would you feed Reef-Roids to your Zoas?

Would you feed Reef-Roids to your Zoas?

  • Yes

    Votes: 351 84.2%
  • No

    Votes: 65 15.6%

  • Total voters
    417
Why feed? My Zoas grow like weeds already!
 
I fed heavily back in the day and trying to replicate it now, all foods failed. With the exception of fish eggs from what I catch on my boat in the gulf. I used to spot feed with astonishing results with the real cyclopeze. Was amazingly effective. Ten year old Zooplan from Julian Sprung’s company was about 30% as good but did work, new stuff nothing. Everything since has been absolute trash. No response from corals at all. Also quite hilarious to see a bunch of aquarium hipsters try and feed their own arrogant blend to a real reef on their own “research show”. It’s all documented by the arctic anemone publicists blogs. 1 who is present to disprove this, and 2, I’ve been there too fellas. Not buying it, at all.
 
I fed heavily back in the day and trying to replicate it now, all foods failed. With the exception of fish eggs from what I catch on my boat in the gulf. I used to spot feed with astonishing results with the real cyclopeze. Was amazingly effective. Ten year old Zooplan from Julian Sprung’s company was about 30% as good but did work, new stuff nothing. Everything since has been absolute trash. No response from corals at all. Also quite hilarious to see a bunch of aquarium hipsters try and feed their own arrogant blend to a real reef on their own “research show”. It’s all documented by the arctic anemone publicists blogs. 1 who is present to disprove this, and 2, I’ve been there too fellas. Not buying it, at all.

Cyclopeze was fantastic stuff.
 
Amen, and apparently the poster child for an unsustainable fishery..
 
I have been told both yes and no when I ask whether I should spot feed Reef-Roids to my Zoas. What is the right answer?
Why - have you heard you should - and why have you heard you shouldn't (before you asked the question) - meaning - are you specifically asking about reef roids - or are you asking about feeding zoas in general? Ps - mine grew like weeds - with no feeding (except from the residual fish food fed - which the did seem to eat). I vote no.
 
To my Zoa's no

I broadcast a little into the water though for my Coco Worms And Branching Dendrophyllia and other critters in the tank.....do the Coco's consume it... not sure but they are healthy, the Branching Dendro definately captures and enjoys it
 
I spot feed reef roids to my zoas. I don't have very many colonies and they aren't growing very well. That's another story probably due to 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. Anyway, I don't really ever see a feeding response from them so I'm not sure if it does any good.
 
There have been scientific studies on coral feeding showing documented response in both Reef Chili and Reef Roids.

So those saying it’s useless look a bit uneducated.

Here’s a link to the pdf.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ts_of_light_water_motion_and_artificial_foods
The study also showed less growth in 1/3 of the corals.
The study also showed other formulae had no effect.
And it also showed nothing concerning Zoas....

So - concerning this topic - that study doesn't say much or did I misread it?
 
I’ve feed my zoa reef roids for a few months and haven’t seen a huge difference in them but I was introduced to this product
https://reefnutrition.com/product_roe.php
I have a bottle headed this way so we shall see how well it works. More natural looking then reef roids and it’s fresh. Heck I might even mix the two at some point. Best advise is take a picture, feed reef roids for 2 months, take another picture and compare. Or post it on here and let us compare lol

Good luck
Matt
 
I ready the report to my corals. They still won’t eat it. Thanks anyways Professor
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top