Yall told me it was going to happen

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2015
Messages
1,072
Reaction score
1,285
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello lately my algea problem has just gotten massively worse. I have already turned down the lights and resuced feeding but i feel like theres more i can do? Right now i have a biocube 29

aquatic life 115 skimmer pulling out almost black skim every2-3 days,
intank media basket with floss, purigen, chemipure elite,
Intake fuge with cheato(newish) i run the led 24/7
Light is hydra 26 at 8inch above the water.
I know the algea is sucking up the phos because it never showes on the test. Its ofcorse brown/green hair algea and the only cuc i have is 4 astrid snils (hermits dieed).
Livestock is 6line and maroon clown. Random lps, zoas and palys.
 
you could look into peroxide dosing.
But I opt for a deep clean and rebuild personally.
 
hmm weird your having that much of a problem. Is it just the uglies?
Was it used rock?
and are you on rodi?
 
Yes it was used rock, my tank crashed and i clean the rock and did a restart dry. Its not like all comsumeing but i dont want it to get to that point i kinda wanna nip it in the butt before it gets crazy. Yes always rodi.
 
I had a huge hair algae issue. I got a yellow tang and it cleaned it in about a week. I was in there to trying to help out. Your tank is small for a tang but maybe as a temp fish. I don't really like the idea but it's an idea.
 
As far as the peroxide goes i have alot of it in the house from what ive read its saying either spot trrat with 3% or 1ml per 10gal with 3%
 
are you feeding marine snow or phyto.
I dont like to run to a bottle of stuff personally. I actually dont run gfo either.

I like to find the source of the exess nutrients or why the bio filter isnt processing them.
And the hermits dying is really weird.
 
Hello lately my algea problem has just gotten massively worse. I have already turned down the lights and resuced feeding but i feel like theres more i can do? Right now i have a biocube 29

aquatic life 115 skimmer pulling out almost black skim every2-3 days,
intank media basket with floss, purigen, chemipure elite,
Intake fuge with cheato(newish) i run the led 24/7
Light is hydra 26 at 8inch above the water.
I know the algea is sucking up the phos because it never showes on the test. Its ofcorse brown/green hair algea and the only cuc i have is 4 astrid snils (hermits dieed).
Livestock is 6line and maroon clown. Random lps, zoas and palys.

Whats you're water change schedule like?

You mentioned you used rock from a previous tank which was dry. I presume you dried it out? If so, how did you clean it?
 
With that stock and size tank, somewhere nutrients are being added way too much.Probably feeding. A young tank should go through phases, but this sounds a bit excessive. Honestly, I would take each rock out one by one, soak in h2o2 for a bit (5 minutes), return them to system. Do over the course of a day or two. Should see some die off. Do it again if necessary. If done right, should not kill your bacteria population.
 
Whats you're water change schedule like?

You mentioned you used rock from a previous tank which was dry. I presume you dried it out? If so, how did you clean it?
Housntly i havent for a few weeks now but its 5 gal weekly. Asfar as the excess nutrients all i feed is 1/8 cube of mysis daily (strain out the juice) i may be painting the wrung picture here the algea outbrake isent horrid mot even close but i dont want it to become that bad. I just diped some frags of zoas in reefwater and h2o2 they had algea all over so far irs bleached and fallen off for the most part. Now for awhile my tsnk did receive about 4 hours of direct sunlight witch i now stoped and i suspect that was a contributor.
06f25e608e8bb645fa4fa856c7855103.jpg

See not horrible
Its
60030500af5c7c7ebcaf5adb0f87eed6.jpg

Mainly on the ceramic plugs.
 
Housntly i havent for a few weeks now but its 5 gal weekly. Asfar as the excess nutrients all i feed is 1/8 cube of mysis daily (strain out the juice) i may be painting the wrung picture here the algea outbrake isent horrid mot even close but i dont want it to become that bad. I just diped some frags of zoas in reefwater and h2o2 they had algea all over so far irs bleached and fallen off for the most part. Now for awhile my tsnk did receive about 4 hours of direct sunlight witch i now stoped and i suspect that was a contributor.
06f25e608e8bb645fa4fa856c7855103.jpg

See not horrible
Its
60030500af5c7c7ebcaf5adb0f87eed6.jpg

Mainly on the ceramic plugs.

Personally I would say that looks fairly normal, in the absence of anything that will consume that algae its going to grow. You might look into some Fuzzy Chitons or maybe an urchin. I have Astrea snails and they don't touch my rocks.
 
Personally I would say that looks fairly normal, in the absence of anything that will consume that algae its going to grow. You might look into some Fuzzy Chitons or maybe an urchin. I have Astrea snails and they don't touch my rocks.
I was planing of adding a tailspot blenny down the road and i herd they they graze on it from time to time. But yeah my sniles once in a blue moon will clean off the corner of a frag but they stay on the more othen then not. But if that normal then sweet i thought it was kimda bad .-. Im a perfectionist and it buggs me. Thanks all though
 
I think you should keep doing what your doing.
Its the uglies. yea ugly ugly. But.

Me, Id put brighter light on the refugium, make sure theres chato and maybe a calurpa too. ad MB7drt or (me )Fiji mud.
Tooth brush the algae off t water change time, and yea if you dip the plugs when it gets rough in peroxide, itll get in the tank.
keep stirring the sand bed at wc time too.

I'll tell you, I will never be without a canister filter again. $50 one from amazon (sunsun?). I use it when I need it, Its got floss in it and media, so its a big water polisher. I dont use it all the time.
I stir and blow stuff off and the canister catches it. I clean it every two weeks on problems. When I was doing the big Cyano Bomb Rehab,I just blew the cyano and alge off, it went to the filter, I cleaned it once a week w 10% (5g) water change.
Then I rinse it bleach wash, sun dry it and put it in the garage.
 
I was planing of adding a tailspot blenny down the road and i herd they they graze on it from time to time. But yeah my sniles once in a blue moon will clean off the corner of a frag but they stay on the more othen then not. But if that normal then sweet i thought it was kimda bad .-. Im a perfectionist and it buggs me. Thanks all though
:DNature aint pretty.
The tank just needs to balance.
 
I think you should keep doing what your doing.
Its the uglies. yea ugly ugly. But.

Me, Id put brighter light on the refugium, make sure theres chato and maybe a calurpa too. ad MB7drt or (me )Fiji mud.
Tooth brush the algae off t water change time, and yea if you dip the plugs when it gets rough in peroxide, itll get in the tank.
keep stirring the sand bed at wc time too.

I'll tell you, I will never be without a canister filter again. $50 one from amazon (sunsun?). I use it when I need it, Its got floss in it and media, so its a big water polisher. I dont use it all the time.
I stir and blow stuff off and the canister catches it. I clean it every two weeks on problems. When I was doing the big Cyano Bomb Rehab,I just blew the cyano and alge off, it went to the filter, I cleaned it once a week w 10% (5g) water change.
Then I rinse it bleach wash, sun dry it and put it in the garage.
The cheato is new i expected it to take a bit and yeah i was looking into the mud. As far as the cannister thats a good idea as a filter everything out pollisher i like the idea as wc are a pain but i know i need to keep up with it. Lugging 5gals upstairs is a bit annyoing haha. But yeah i just want it to look spic and span. Your right nature is ugly. Will keep cleaning and scrubbing
 
I was planing of adding a tailspot blenny down the road and i herd they they graze on it from time to time. But yeah my sniles once in a blue moon will clean off the corner of a frag but they stay on the more othen then not. But if that normal then sweet i thought it was kimda bad .-. Im a perfectionist and it buggs me. Thanks all though

The day you have zero algae and no fish which munch on it you should be worried. Remember, corals have algae and it needs the same stuff to live. Like SFF said, it needs to balance.
 
The day you have zero algae and no fish which munch on it you should be worried. Remember, corals have algae and it needs the same stuff to live. Like SFF said, it needs to balance.
True true i never thought of no algea no coral algea too. I even thought about doseing aminos but im alwasy worried so i reasesrch for months till i forget about it or just inpulse buy
 
btw ,my lil rehabed tank looks pretty good now. Beat the cyano. Only took about 6 weeks.
Hardest part was keeping my hands out of the tank.
 
btw ,my lil rehabed tank looks pretty good now. Beat the cyano. Only took about 6 weeks.
Hardest part was keeping my hands out of the tank.
Yeah i love to fiddle with everything for whateve reasson i have.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top