Your spouse - Did they say Yes or No?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2013
Messages
96,707
Reaction score
215,505
Location
Wisconsin -
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
One of the challenges in this hobby is getting your spouse or significant other to agree to a purchase or need when in this hobby.
Is there/was there an item you really needed or wanted and you had to get through your partner's approval?
What was the item and were you able to convince them on the purchase?

I see many desiring a tank upgrade and are often held back due to budget or Needing to wait.
 
I’m the sole bread winner in my family and don’t ask for permission to buy something. I am transparent on spending though. But it usually means if I buy something, then she buys something. My wife isn’t into reefing, but I make sure to work overtime to cover extra purchases, and try not to be selfish. For example, I bought a new truck six years ago. It gets paid off this month, so I bought her a new vehicle last week. (Though it cost more than my truck!) Lol! Been married 20 years, just gotta make it fair or it likely won’t work.
 
I’m the sole bread winner in my family and don’t ask for permission to buy something. I am transparent on spending though. But it usually means if I buy something, then she buys something. My wife isn’t into reefing, but I make sure to work overtime to cover extra purchases, and try not to be selfish. For example, I bought a new truck six years ago. It gets paid off this month, so I bought her a new vehicle last week. (Though it cost more than my truck!) Lol! Been married 20 years, just gotta make it fair or it likely won’t work.
Happy wife happy life.
 
I'm pretty fortunate because I don't have to ask permission for anything. That said my Gal and I have a relation ship different than most. We have been together over 30 years but not married. I pay for everything required to keep the house running including the house itself which is paid for. She drives a new truck that I paid for. All she contributes financially is to buy the groceries and with only 2 of us thats not bad.
What do I get in exchange? A Gal who puts up with me which is challenging. But the best part is I can spend every penny I have on anything I want as long as the lights turn on whe she flips the switch she doesn't care. I did have to buy wall space from her once to get her to move her nick knacks so I could set a tank up on that wall. For an entire LR wall for $100 I think that was a steal :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 
One of the challenges in this hobby is getting your spouse or significant other to agree to a purchase or need when in this hobby.
Is there/was there an item you really needed or wanted and you had to get through your partner's approval?
What was the item and were you able to convince them on the purchase?

I see many desiring a tank upgrade and are often held back due to budget or Needing to wait.
It is my hard-earned money, I don't see why I should ask permission to buy something, it goes the same way; she doesn't have to ask me for blessings if she is doing her nails, hair or going on a shopping spree, she has her salary and we both take care of the bills, being married 35yrs and works like a charm
 
I asked my girlfriend if I could get a tank 100 times , got 99 no's and one yes and the rest is history ! Now upgrading later this year but have got to re decorate and tile the lounge floor first in exchange for permission
 
I found that my wife likes my hobby and approves when the tank is looking great. If there is sloppy glass, loud powerheads, and cords on the floor I get a no thanks. My takeaway is not to spend money to feel better, but put in the work to make the most of what I have into it.
IMG_8768.jpeg
 
We have "fun money" built into our budget that can be used for whatever we want as long as the funds are there. If it's not there and a necessity or a true "want" then I'll certainly ask.

I've been told no for many things, setting up my AWC system was one of them I was told no for years. Not due to monetary reasons, but for putting holes in the walls and connecting the dining room to the garage. Eventually she said yes once I gave a detailed plan and budget.
 
I get in trouble for leaving packages sitting in our foyer for days, but she doesn’t seem to care about what I buy as long as the bills get paid. I make about double her salary though, so I get some grace to do what I want. Unless we are in a spat. Then like someone else mentioned, somehow the fish get brought into it!
 
My wife is fully supportive of my reefing hobby, although her initial take was ‘you can get one, but you do all the work and I’ll enjoy the tank’, which was fine because I wanted to interact with the aquarium and do the work.

She cleared out space in our laundry room for storage and an RODI system, not complained when I spend stupid amounts of money, and has supported me and the tank in every way possible.

As for not working on the tank, that’s kind of fallen to the side - she was scrubbing hair Algea off the rock a couple of weeks ago. She cleans the glass and helps remove debris (empty mastic tiles & urchin hats ) from the bottom.

Honestly, I couldn’t do this without her.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top