Are you always planning your next reef tank?

Do you often think about upgrading your saltwater reef aquarium?

  • Yes all the time

    Votes: 216 49.1%
  • Some of the time I dream

    Votes: 106 24.1%
  • I am content with my current tank

    Votes: 99 22.5%
  • I'll never upgrade

    Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 13 3.0%

  • Total voters
    440
Looking for more coral, a variety. Another 200g rimless. Maybe do a predator tank.

Not sure what it will look like, won’t know til I get there
 
Mostly I dream about add-ons. I'd like to plumb a frag tank into my 100g display... I definitely daydream about that.

Also, I like to dream about changing my rockwork. I'm happy with it, but I always can thing of something that would be better!
 
Yes i think about it often. But I am so very happy with the 65 low boy I have now.
My upgrade would be a 6ft long 24 deep and 20is high. THe only reason being is I would love different fish. I would turn this tank into a frag tank and run it in the base ment.
Maybe I morbid but I have a 94yr old grandmother and I am planning to hopefully be able to move into her condo when she passes. Is it terrible that every weekend when I go to visit I plan a little bit more about where I would put everything?
 
Had a horrible weekend last week I was moving my corner reef tank and the Uhaul truck we used got stuck in the mud from all the rain we had. Worse part this happened at 10 pm and because of the major rain no tow trucks could get to me till 9am I lost most of my coral and three of my favorite fish . I was even thinking of quitting the hobby but set up a extra tank I had and saved the rest so not a total loss. But it’s going to be awhile till I move my last tank.
 
1. Do you often think about upgrading your saltwater reef aquarium?
Yes, obsessively b/c I want to get it right.

2. What does your next upgrade look like in a few words? What's different? What's better?

Massive.

Getting discouraged though b/c I found out my house is going to need a bunch of work I wasn't expecting that will need done before the tank can get built. 1st will be rewired. Got upgraded to 100amp previously but it was a hack job, 3 prong outlets but they aren't actually grounded.
 
I am content with what I have. I would like to automate my current setup a bit more but that is all. I have had larger systems before. I find 200litres to be just right for me at this point in my life. I do think back about my larger predator tanks with a few big softies in it. LPS/SPS for now though.
 
1. Do you often think about upgrading your saltwater reef aquarium?
Currently upgrading at the moment!!!!

Am I tripping or are all the user names in blue sparking like a snowflake. Did some of the colors on the user names change also? Lol!!!! It’s been a day or so since I’ve been on here:oops:
At any rate, it’s pretty cool!!!!
 
Yes I am. Unfortunately, I would need a bigger house to do what I really want. Where my tank is now, the best I can do is about a 7 foot, 350 gallon tank. That’s not even twice the size of my current one, so it seems like a waste of time. I want a minimum of an 8 foot tank, and that essentially means New House! So yeah, not any time soon...
 
Last edited:
Haunting question here. Love the new tank we’ve added to the office 120g thats 4’ long. It sits just behind the front reception desk. We have a wall with a huge clock on it (just taking up space) that is 8’ long just to the right that would be perfect for a second tank. I’m thinking a 150-180g would fit perfectly. Been pondering this for awhile. Still up in the air but may be coming sooner than later once I dial in my apex on the main tank.
 
1. Do you often think about upgrading your saltwater reef aquarium?
Yes, have been thinking about upgrading from my JBJ 45 for a while now. Sometimes I’m more intent on the research and planning for a larger tank than others, but I’m one of those people who are rarely ever content to sit and just be. I need to constantly be working toward something, whether that be researching for a new build or trying to perfect/fix something with my current setup or routine.

2. What does your next upgrade look like in a few words? What's different? What's better?
I would love a six foot tank but a five foot would be a better fit for the house and tank location in the basement. A sump is a must- current tank is an AIO and I feel very limited in space for equipment. Makes maintenance difficult as well, trying to pull everything out and put it back into place in a small area. The JBJ 45 is a cube and I would not buy a cube tank again- made aquascaping and coral placement difficult and limits fish stocking. If I had to choose a new ready made tank I’d pick the Waterbox 180.5 Reef Pro.
 
I voted other. I am very content with my 20 gallon tank but occasionally I still dream of going back up to a 90 gallon tank. Miss all the different fishes.
 
1. Do you often think about upgrading your saltwater reef aquarium?
Currently upgrading at the moment!!!!

Am I tripping or are all the user names in blue sparking like a snowflake. Did some of the colors on the user names change also? Lol!!!! It’s been a day or so since I’ve been on here:oops:
At any rate, it’s pretty cool!!!!
im thinking those are partner members?
 
This is basically my 4th reef tank, and the best I have set up. Each tank I set up I had proclaimed would be my last, LOL!

I had a 40g XH in the wall that was converted from FW, a 90g, a 36g bowfront and my current tank is a 56g column. The wall tank was a maintenance nightmare. I found the 90g to be bigger than I wanted and the 36g a tad small so this 56g is just right for me.

My current tank has a basement fuge and sump which double my water volume along with making maintenance so easy. This tank is a high nutrient macro algae reef, so it can, (and should) have a lot of fish which is fun. It runs by old school biology more than high tech equipment, so not a lot to go wrong as long as it is aerated by circulating water. I love a KISS philosophy. This past October my tank turned 4 years old and has really hit its mature sweet spot so I have no future plans of changing anything.
 
In my opinion, the "I'll never upgrade" option should look more like - "I'll never upgrade (please explain!)"...
 
1. Do you often think about upgrading your saltwater reef aquarium?
not anymore, I am only a shy over a month in my new tank. Just upgraded from a 30 to a 130.... took 14 years in this hobby to do so..
I don’t see myself going bigger or getting another tank for a long time

2. What does your next upgrade look like in a few words? What's different? What's better?
no upgrade, but might set up my 4 gal again one day down the road.
 
I think in this hobby we're never stagnant. We get a tank, we want to fill it with coral. And when we have no more room we start adding more rock; to house more coral. And if you're like me you bought random cheap frags to fill space... then you start trying to get rid of those cheap frags and you start to ONLY look out for specific corals that you love and want. Because you're running out of rock work and this tank ain't big enough for five dollar palys.

1.) Yes, I'm striving to find the perfect tank, perfect setup. I tried to find the idyllic tank for a while now. Twenty tall felt too small in the beginning, Forty was too big for maintenance, and I'm now at a ten which is too small.

2.) Twenty gallon long with DIY canister filter slash algae scrubber. Twenty gallons is a nice amount of water and it being long will help with flow and allow for more coral. I really hope this is the one for me because I'm tired of being unsatisfied.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top