Automated Reefing: How "automated" are you?

How automated is your current saltwater reef aquarium?

  • Almost Fully Automated

    Votes: 210 26.5%
  • Somewhat Automated

    Votes: 254 32.1%
  • Very Little Automated

    Votes: 224 28.3%
  • Not Automated At All

    Votes: 103 13.0%

  • Total voters
    791
All I automate is my dosing. All the rest is scheduled tasks on my aquarium app on my phone. It pops up and I automatically go do it. :D

Edit: I forgot about ATO and light/MP40 cycles. I guess those are technically automated. :)
I’m the same way. Lights, dosing and ato. On second thought heater, chiller, charcoal filtration
 
Last edited:
I've seen over the years how reefers will wax and wane when it comes to how automated their reef aquariums are. Sometimes life requires the most automation as possible but then something changes and there isn't quite the need and vise-versa. What about for you? Let's talk about it!

How automated is your current saltwater reef aquarium and why is that so?

image via @keywestreefer
IMG_1777.jpg
I enjoyed talking with you at Reefstock in Denver. One correction I told you I had been on this website 10 yrs it’s actually been 13 lol. A great amount of wisdom here by many in our hobby.
Tony
 
Luv myself some automation!
 

Attachments

  • 20220112_134545.jpg
    20220112_134545.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220112_134700.jpg
    20220112_134700.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220112_135612.jpg
    20220112_135612.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220112_134602.jpg
    20220112_134602.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220112_160410.jpg
    20220112_160410.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 67
Nope, if like a product I don’t have a problem showing it, sometimes I leave for up to 4 weeks at a time and automation is my friend!
 
Hell, I would put a reef2reef sign up if they made it, this forum has been a god send to me, thanks to the creators and everyone that post here, cheers
 
If all the gear works right, I can leave for 3 weeks at a time without anyone intervening.

Does all the gear every work right when I go out of town? No.
 
I’m pretty well advanced on the automation thing. My ATO is plugged into the main house RO filter. Turn the valve and my reservoir fills automatically, then shuts the flow off automatically when full, via a float switch. Got dosing pump. Got automatic feeder if I feel like it. Four things I haven’t been able to automate. Coral feeding, sandbed cleaning/water change, refill dosing containers and skimmer cup cleaning. But I’m working on them.

PS I’m trying to figure out a way to run a line from my skimmer cup to the main house drain pipe.
 
Last edited:
I do travel frequently so I have everything automated
Lights, ATO, feeder, dosing ALK and Cal, powerheads(all Neptune)
When I’m home I feed frozen and when I’m gone my wife feeds some frozen but I also have auto feeder set up
 

Automated Reefing: How "automated" are you?​


So much that this is my automated response. Please try again tomorrow
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top