Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

ce11adf5fc1413b16f092a069cf241a0.jpg


So I couldn’t leave Minneapolis without visiting this place!! Got to meet Randy! And was taken on an impromptu tour around the office and filming studio. EEEKS! Loved it! And I don’t usually geek out over meeting people.

For Ex: i once got a naked steam bath sitting next to Ben Stiller less than 12 inches away. (No side jokes about how I knew i was 12 inches away please @crusso1993) and never blinked an eye or asked for an autograph just made small talk as usual.
Very cool, man! Whats with the mountain right next to the tank? Lol, jk.
I have heard they are some pretty cool people over there @BRS
 
@Hemmdog, praying for your reef. What a nightmare. I hope you find a solution to save the rest of your aqua pets.
Thanks man. That means a lot. Me too. I just need to take a step back and figure out a plan. I’m overwhelmed and super sad. My clown was my first sw fist, tonight is most likely his last night :(
 
Hello,

Sorry I’m late but was looking at your photos and researching as well. It’s hard for me to tell with your blue lights on but looks like velvet because of the dusting. If you want to slow it down, turn your lights off, some strains are photosynthesis and it’s why your fish hide with the lights on.

If your able to catch them, I suggest a full strength copper right away don’t build up to it. Velvet attacks the gills and they usually die from asphyxiation, than the parasite. Another thing to do is go with the level 2 uv like I had to with ozone, another good one is tmc 110. They will kill all viruses and parasites, but nothing on fish and just free swimmers. Another item is, bacterial are common so I would definitely be expecting a secondary break out.

Did you recently add anything new to your tank? The problem with velvet is (it’s anything wet). So snails corals etc could carry it, and strains can lay dormant. If you have access to an ozone generator run some ozone, that will knock it down as well. Fresh water dips help but if they are too far damaged it makes it worse. Not to mention we don’t have an exact fallow period for velvet either. Some say 72 days other say 90, however some scientific papers say it lays dormant till its habitat is more ideal. So sorry and trust me I know how you feel when I had that small scare with my tank. It’s why I upped the ozone and put other preventive measure in place. Keep in mind usually the lethal dosage of copper that kills velvet just happens to be the same amount to kill your fish. Another important note is velvet will affect different species of fish in different ways. Have you seen any improvements, and or are they in Qt now?
 
Hello,

Sorry I’m late but was looking at your photos and researching as well. It’s hard for me to tell with your blue lights on but looks like velvet because of the dusting. If you want to slow it down, turn your lights off, some strains are photosynthesis and it’s why your fish hide with the lights on.

If your able to catch them, I suggest a full strength copper right away don’t build up to it. Velvet attacks the gills and they usually die from asphyxiation, than the parasite. Another thing to do is go with the level 2 uv like I had to with ozone, another good one is tmc 110. They will kill all viruses and parasites, but nothing on fish and just free swimmers. Another item is, bacterial are common so I would definitely be expecting a secondary break out.

Did you recently add anything new to your tank? The problem with velvet is (it’s anything wet). So snails corals etc could carry it, and strains can lay dormant. If you have access to an ozone generator run some ozone, that will knock it down as well. Fresh water dips help but if they are too far damaged it makes it worse. Not to mention we don’t have an exact fallow period for velvet either. Some say 72 days other say 90, however some scientific papers say it lays dormant till its habitat is more ideal. So sorry and trust me I know how you feel when I had that small scare with my tank. It’s why I upped the ozone and put other preventive measure in place. Keep in mind usually the lethal dosage of copper that kills velvet just happens to be the same amount to kill your fish. Another important note is velvet will affect different species of fish in different ways. Have you seen any improvements, and or are they in Qt now?
No improvements, the clown is getting worse. I haven’t added anything to the tank in months. All the details and more pics are in my build thread. My qt was leaking so I got rid of it over a month ago.
 
No improvements, the clown is getting worse. I haven’t added anything to the tank in months. All the details and more pics are in my build thread. My qt was leaking so I got rid of it over a month ago.

Let me catch up on that one quick, the problem with velvet is one it can change it’s strain to medication and secondly it’s super fast acting. It always starts in the gills and moves outward. Adding an air stone with more oxygen also will help ease the suffering.
 
Let me catch up on that one quick, the problem with velvet is one it can change it’s strain to medication and secondly it’s super fast acting. It always starts in the gills and moves outward. Adding an air stone with more oxygen also will help ease the suffering.
They have had this for over a month.
 
ce11adf5fc1413b16f092a069cf241a0.jpg


So I couldn’t leave Minneapolis without visiting this place!! Got to meet Randy! And was taken on an impromptu tour around the office and filming studio. EEEKS! Loved it! And I don’t usually geek out over meeting people.

For Ex: i once got a naked steam bath sitting next to Ben Stiller less than 12 inches away. (No side jokes about how I knew i was 12 inches away please @crusso1993) and never blinked an eye or asked for an autograph just made small talk as usual.
Very cool

I originally thought I had stress crypto on my Atlantic blue. Now it’s claimed quite a few fish.. most recently my mandarin goby last night, potentially old age for him.
My saddleback clown, abt, and orange stripped cardinal are infected currently. The rest of the fish seem fine. Everyone is eating and being active. But they look awful. I feel so bad for them.

I’m starting to think it’s brook, if it’s taking out gobys. My goldhead sifter goby randomly died 2 weeks ago, I thought he choked on sand? But maybe not. Also lost my Midas blenny, geometric Pygmy hawk.
CC5E84F2-75C5-48D3-A2DE-4225F5E521D8.jpeg

997EA8FA-C8E9-4C7E-8193-DAE513FB5399.jpeg
Man this is aweful. @ngoodermuth is fantastic. Youll be in good hands with her.
 
Hello,

I’m curious as to what your magnesium level is? It’s
Been shown with velvet that magnesium deficiency spawns velvet as where higher levels of it, can keep it dormant. Generally it’s true velvet life cycle is 3-6 days roughly but depends on the conditions as well. Some fisheries have seen it last up to two months with the change of water parameters. Since my scare I have really hit the books about this disease according to Johnson:

“Environmental conditions affect the speed at which the parasite completes its life cycle and the length of time that dinospores are infective. This has been reviewed by Johnson (1990). This is from the article, Amyloodinium ocellatum, an Important Parasite of Cultured Marine Fish by Maxine Francis and Ruth Francis. Which also shows that if a fish has been exposed to this it’s natural immune system will repel the parasite from trying to attach and or may take it longer to Wear the fish down.
 
Hello,

I’m curious as to what your magnesium level is? It’s
Been shown with velvet that magnesium deficiency spawns velvet as where higher levels of it, can keep it dormant. Generally it’s true velvet life cycle is 3-6 days roughly but depends on the conditions as well. Some fisheries have seen it last up to two months with the change of water parameters. Since my scare I have really hit the books about this disease according to Johnson:

“Environmental conditions affect the speed at which the parasite completes its life cycle and the length of time that dinospores are infective. This has been reviewed by Johnson (1990). This is from the article, Amyloodinium ocellatum, an Important Parasite of Cultured Marine Fish by Maxine Francis and Ruth Francis. Which also shows that if a fish has been exposed to this it’s natural immune system will repel the parasite from trying to attach and or may take it longer to Wear the fish down.
Always 1380-1440
Interesting !
 
Velvet for a month will kill most by now. Brook is my thoughts
The time frame is why I’m so confused. The original look of ich or flukes also has me confused. The mandarin looked like it was brook before he died. Hotrocks or Fordfamily was saying he said a naso with velvet for over a year. So if they are healthy and fed well they will survive but eventually it will get them I think was the moral of the story. I just want to get my tank sterile of all these diseases, I think I’m dealing with more than one. I am not getting any input on what size hospital tank I should get and should I put them all in the same hospital tank.
 
Hello,

Have you researched any of the articles regarding hydrogen peroxide? It for certain kills ick and velvet and I have to find my sources on the others. For your size fish I would use a 40 breeder with the proper copper treatment.

Most quarantine protocols for marine fish include
a routine copper treatment, which is typically continu- ous for 21 to 30 days. This would be done at the 0.15 to 0.2 mg/L free copper ion concentration as previously described. This treatment should eliminate A. ocellatum from fish while in quarantine, but biopsies should still be used to ensure that fish are not harboring parasites. Poor efficacy, or treatment failure, when using copper-contain- ing compounds in marine systems is usually associated with inadequate monitoring of the free copper ion con- centration to be sure it does not fall below the required therapeutic level. This allows some parasites to evade treatment and can result in an outbreak several weeks after the copper treatment has been discontinued. Fresh- water dips may also be useful in eliminating dinospores and trophonts from fish.

As well prior to you placing them in your qt I would use a 40 breeder myself, maybe a 75 if I had larger tangs but prior it’s been noted that,
“Freshwater dips of 1 to 3 minutes cause A. ocellatum trophonts to detach from infected fish (Bower et al., 1987). It is unclear whether this is sufficient to actually kill them, however, and given the tolerance of trophonts and tomonts to environmental conditions, it may not be prudent to assume that this would happen. Noga and Levy (1995)”
As well as have reviewed a number of drugs that have been used in efforts to disinfect systems contaminated with A. ocellatum. Of these, benzalkonium chloride seems most promising for use as a routine dis- infectant in aquaculture or aquarium facilities, although the compound is not FDA-approved for use in fish. This chemical is in the group of disinfectants known as quater- nary ammonium compounds. (Noga and Levy 1995).

Again another strong source to help is level 2 uv and ozone. With that said I’m still learning about how mine will use the ozone and the severe precautions that come with it which also inlcudes not only killing my fish but myself as well. It should be known that these treatments only prevent a larger out break by killing the free swimmers. There still has been no development for tomant and trophant stages. I would also treat with an antibacterial during this. The fresh water dip will also help to elimanate flukes as well.
 
Hello,

Have you researched any of the articles regarding hydrogen peroxide? It for certain kills ick and velvet and I have to find my sources on the others. For your size fish I would use a 40 breeder with the proper copper treatment.

Most quarantine protocols for marine fish include
a routine copper treatment, which is typically continu- ous for 21 to 30 days. This would be done at the 0.15 to 0.2 mg/L free copper ion concentration as previously described. This treatment should eliminate A. ocellatum from fish while in quarantine, but biopsies should still be used to ensure that fish are not harboring parasites. Poor efficacy, or treatment failure, when using copper-contain- ing compounds in marine systems is usually associated with inadequate monitoring of the free copper ion con- centration to be sure it does not fall below the required therapeutic level. This allows some parasites to evade treatment and can result in an outbreak several weeks after the copper treatment has been discontinued. Fresh- water dips may also be useful in eliminating dinospores and trophonts from fish.

As well prior to you placing them in your qt I would use a 40 breeder myself, maybe a 75 if I had larger tangs but prior it’s been noted that,
“Freshwater dips of 1 to 3 minutes cause A. ocellatum trophonts to detach from infected fish (Bower et al., 1987). It is unclear whether this is sufficient to actually kill them, however, and given the tolerance of trophonts and tomonts to environmental conditions, it may not be prudent to assume that this would happen. Noga and Levy (1995)”
As well as have reviewed a number of drugs that have been used in efforts to disinfect systems contaminated with A. ocellatum. Of these, benzalkonium chloride seems most promising for use as a routine dis- infectant in aquaculture or aquarium facilities, although the compound is not FDA-approved for use in fish. This chemical is in the group of disinfectants known as quater- nary ammonium compounds. (Noga and Levy 1995).

Again another strong source to help is level 2 uv and ozone. With that said I’m still learning about how mine will use the ozone and the severe precautions that come with it which also inlcudes not only killing my fish but myself as well. It should be known that these treatments only prevent a larger out break by killing the free swimmers. There still has been no development for tomant and trophant stages. I would also treat with an antibacterial during this. The fresh water dip will also help to elimanate flukes as well.
Is the salinity 1.025 in the copper tank? What brand of copper? What turnover hob filter do I use for this ?
 
I don’t think these badges you talk about show up here on Tapatalk.

No, the do not show up. I used Tapatalk for about 20 minutes and made the decision to simply use the browser on my phone. IMHO - it's really much better.
 
The time frame is why I’m so confused. The original look of ich or flukes also has me confused. The mandarin looked like it was brook before he died. Hotrocks or Fordfamily was saying he said a naso with velvet for over a year. So if they are healthy and fed well they will survive but eventually it will get them I think was the moral of the story. I just want to get my tank sterile of all these diseases, I think I’m dealing with more than one. I am not getting any input on what size hospital tank I should get and should I put them all in the same hospital tank.

The general consensus is get a few different tanks (I think 20’s are ideal) but some fish respond well to different MEDs and then a fallow period for the tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top