Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

New Tank Motivation. Gotta have your namesake in there somewhere.

18C12ACF-43F5-43AD-BEDB-0531B3757B3E.png
 
One day gentleman...We'll have a tank Andrew can be proud of!
You already have a couple of them!! Paired with a Pink leomonade would be cool! I have an aiptasia problem to fix before adding any new corals. 25 Nudes on their way! Woops Nudi's, Good thing I dont have all your phone numbers :)
 
You already have a couple of them!! Paired with a Pink leomonade would be cool! I have an aiptasia problem to fix before adding any new corals. 25 Nudes on their way! Woops Nudi's, Good thing I dont have all your phone numbers :)
That works both ways! Lol.
 
If I came across a used apex dirt cheap, I would set it up as an AWC. I don't like or use controllers as a general rule. But, I would experiment with one for AWC use if I had one.
 
To me, the cost has to be justified. If you manually changed 2 gallons a day and had say 100 gallons mixed up. That's an hour every 50 days to make water. Literally 2 minutes a day to change out two gallons. so say another two hours every 50 days just to make it easy.

That's three hours or about $90 for the mean income in the US. every 50 days. If you paid yourself to do it. That's about $630 per year.

So, to me, if it costs more than half that, it's not worth it. Because, missing a two gallon water change because you forgot, will not hurt. But, the piece of equipment sticking on and doing something stupid can really hurt. So, it really has to be reliable and cost effective.

Not to mention that while you are changing out water everyday, you can check things visually to make sure all is well.


I think I just talked myself out of an AWC all together. LOL!

So I’m a bit confused what you are calculating. If time is money but I’m reality not all time is worth the same. So if I get enjoyment out of spending 8 hours to tinker and set up the Apex and DOS to do the AWC including crawling around under the house to run the tubing etc but I do it during my “down” time then those hours aren’t worth the same as if I have to take the time weekly “which I don’t always have” to do a smaller 20 gallon water change every week. I think it is still worth it. My RODI is made with a mere turn of the water on...it then transfers over to the SW tank and once a month add the salt to the mixing station. I may build a hopper style funnel above the SW tank to make adding salt easier. But then the DOS change 2.5 gallons echo night in one liter increments to then be alternated with adding FSW back in... no effect from the ATO bc if the minute changes or bc the Apex is programmed to turn it off for the few hours the water change is taking place over night. That’s the thought anyway.
 
Just a calculation of time used if you did the water changes manually with a bucket every day. I was making a rambling point. LOL!

Well dang you sparked a mathematical debate here between me and my son. We like math and ramblings..haha
 
Well dang you sparked a mathematical debate here between me and my son. We like math and ramblings..haha

I feel accomplished then. ;)
 
Holy cow!

That's way too expensive!

I think it's time for the thinking cap. Anyone have any lemons?

(someone better get that reference!)
It's funny that right after I mentioned never seeing anything about these, there was a reefer on the BRS FB page swearing by his. :-)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top