Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Open the bowl!
they are in the tank. Got some pulsing xenia, they look bluish purple. Got some Green Palys, and another kenya tree but its bluish purple
 
@Scurvy these Mandarins are fed pellets only when they are 1 month old. Andrew does have a healthy pod population, but I certainly don't want the little guy to starve. WWSD?
Unless theres other big pod competitors in his 32 I would go for it. Namely wrasse which I dont think he has. A damsel might eat some but not enough to really affect the population. Make a point to get him some pellets or frozen at feeding time a few days a week and in IMO he’ll do just fine.

That said a couple of years from now when he’s no longer the size of a thumbnail but a 3” fish eating loads more a bigger tank would be advisable. A move to your future cube perhaps?

I debated it as you are now and with my wrasse being hunters I figured it wasnt worth trying. I finally caved to my girlfriends desire to try one and it worked out fine for us. At the time we had a leopard wrasse, Melanarus and Red Lined wrasse in a 54g display/no refugium. Then added the Mandarin (Wild Caught) I added a bag of pods every couple of months in the beginning out of worry but stopped that fairly quickly. Probably did it twice.
Thats my experience. Is it proof every case will work out this way? Of course not.
 
I say nay. His tank has pods, but the Mandarin will finish them off quickly in that size tank. He may eat pellets, but will require several daily direct feedings to be sure he alone is getting them. It is a big challenge. His tank seems to be working well, and he seems pretty sensitive. If it did not work with the questions you have now you will both feel terrible. That may be playing it safe perhaps, just my opinion.


 
I say nay. His tank has pods, but the Mandarin will finish them off quickly in that size tank. He may eat pellets, but will require several daily direct feedings to be sure he alone is getting them. It is a big challenge. His tank seems to be working well, and he seems pretty sensitive. If it did not work with the questions you have now you will both feel terrible. That may be playing it safe perhaps, just my opinion.

Agreed. It can be done (I dun it) , it’s work and his and your tanks are great is on auto pilot. Let it run.
 
@Scurvy these Mandarins are fed pellets only when they are 1 month old. Andrew does have a healthy pod population, but I certainly don't want the little guy to starve. WWSD?

I'm struggling with this decision. I'd like each of you to tell me yay or nay. Please.
Looks like I'm late to the party.

I would ask SA how often they are fed each day. If you can replicate the feeding conditions they use than it should be fine. If they feed more than you are able, it's an easy no.
 
I would say hold off. Once bigger tank than yes. Pellets as a baby is one thing and add competition for the pellets as well. They don't have a stomach like ours so they need to eat all the time.
So, pretty much like our kids?
 
Funny how the kids advice is generally 180 degrees from good parenting. I love when they try to use logic to convince me.

DAUGHTER: “I need my phone in my room while I am sleeping. What if I have to go to the bathroom and need a flashlight!”

ME: “Um, use the light switch?“



 
Funny how the kids advice is generally 180 degrees from good parenting. I love when they try to use logic to convince me.

DAUGHTER: “I need my phone in my room while I am sleeping. What if I have to go to the bathroom and need a flashlight!”

ME: “Um, use the light switch?“


HER: you suck
 
Today Andrew said " why are you always right? " I laughed and he called me a monster :)

Some monsters are cuddly and like cookies.
221D94BC-3215-4BA3-B518-A83C08970115.jpeg


 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top