Crab's 40G Breeder Mixed Reef Tank

Like the stand Crabs. I like that you have the two power heads on the back, how's the flow?
Everything seems to be responding well. I had them on the sides, and decided for a cleaner look to put them on the back wall. And so far so good :)
 
Everything seems to be responding well. I had them on the sides, and decided for a cleaner look to put them on the back wall. And so far so good :)
Great. I have mine on the sides but on the back give a nice clean look. I will try later.
Thanks
 
@crabs_mcjones how did you change the stand? You make it sound like a small update!!!
Lol! It was a huge undertaking. And in the end I did need the assistance of my brother in law to help me do it. I had to re-do my plumbing as well since the new stand raised my sump up 4 inches closer than before. Long story short, I disconnected the sump and took off all the plumbing, drained about two buckets worth of water out of the display, put the new stand in front of the old stand, and slid the tank on. Then got the sump out of the old stand and put it in the new stand and slid it all into place. Then it was just a matter of running all the wires (which I did a major wire clean up, before it was an absolute mess, this time they're all tie strapped together and neatly tucked away) and trimming the plumbing and hooking it all back up. Overall I'd say it took me 6 1/2 hours. While the tank was offline during the switchover I do have spare powerheads I keep on hand just incase, I had those hooked up to a different powerstrip for flow in the tank along with my spare heater. I also put one in the sump to keep that water moving.
 
Lol! It was a huge undertaking. And in the end I did need the assistance of my brother in law to help me do it. I had to re-do my plumbing as well since the new stand raised my sump up 4 inches closer than before. Long story short, I disconnected the sump and took off all the plumbing, drained about two buckets worth of water out of the display, put the new stand in front of the old stand, and slid the tank on. Then got the sump out of the old stand and put it in the new stand and slid it all into place. Then it was just a matter of running all the wires (which I did a major wire clean up, before it was an absolute mess, this time they're all tie strapped together and neatly tucked away) and trimming the plumbing and hooking it all back up. Overall I'd say it took me 6 1/2 hours. While the tank was offline during the switchover I do have spare powerheads I keep on hand just incase, I had those hooked up to a different powerstrip for flow in the tank along with my spare heater. I also put one in the sump to keep that water moving.

Now that sounds like a major update lol.

So you had to drain 10G water from the display and then sliding it. Man that is an undertaking.
 
Now that sounds like a major update lol.

So you had to drain 10G water from the display and then sliding it. Man that is an undertaking.
Alot of it ran into the sump, and I have two 6 gallon buckets, so I was able to drain 12 extra gallons on top of what went into the sump when I turned off the return pump. So not to bad :)
 
Great build and update. I like the new clean look of the stand!!
 
Lol! It was a huge undertaking. And in the end I did need the assistance of my brother in law to help me do it. I had to re-do my plumbing as well since the new stand raised my sump up 4 inches closer than before. Long story short, I disconnected the sump and took off all the plumbing, drained about two buckets worth of water out of the display, put the new stand in front of the old stand, and slid the tank on. Then got the sump out of the old stand and put it in the new stand and slid it all into place. Then it was just a matter of running all the wires (which I did a major wire clean up, before it was an absolute mess, this time they're all tie strapped together and neatly tucked away) and trimming the plumbing and hooking it all back up. Overall I'd say it took me 6 1/2 hours. While the tank was offline during the switchover I do have spare powerheads I keep on hand just incase, I had those hooked up to a different powerstrip for flow in the tank along with my spare heater. I also put one in the sump to keep that water moving.

I broke into a cold sweat just reading this update! New stand does look great. glad this is behind you.
 
@crabs_mcjones -- Do you find the AquaticLife T5 hybrid fixture is a little wide (front to back) for your 40 Breeder? I know they fit a tank with 24" depth (front to back) perfectly, but was wondering how it is on an 18" like the 40B
 
@crabs_mcjones -- Do you find the AquaticLife T5 hybrid fixture is a little wide (front to back) for your 40 Breeder? I know they fit a tank with 24" depth (front to back) perfectly, but was wondering how it is on an 18" like the 40B
Actually, the 36 inch fixture is 18 inches width, so it fits my 40 breeder perfectly length and width
20180517_212909.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top