Do I need more rock i have a 20g high

I rather not use live rock because of pests, most advocated dry because no pest I'm dosing nitrifying bacteria every day, and i also have ruble with coral i got that I have attached to the rock so i think that should also seed the tank ? Some even have Coraline algae.
Fact is, you will get pests eventually anyway. Might as well place a live rock in there to help the cycle. I used 7 year old sump rock covered in aptasia and vermitid snails. In a month, most were gone and in 2 months negligible. There are means to control pests but no replacement to biodiversity. I went all SPS in the second month with no losses. That’s how good live rock is.
 
Tap water is not at all good for SW, it throws nutrients out of wack. FW and SW environments are very different, In SW, you should use RODI or pure distilled water to mix salt and top-off tank. Molting is not always a sign of good health. Even if you use conditioner, its not good.


additionally a (healthy) cycled SW tank has 0.0 ammonia.
Can i use distilled water? And slowly change the evaporated water with distilled?
 
Can i use distilled water? And slowly change the evaporated water with distilled?
What I would do is a 2 gallon water change everyday for about ten days. You can get a gallon of distilled water at the Walmart for 0.79 cents. All I use is distilled water and Reef Crystals salt. My 20 gallon high tank is four months old with about 7 gallons of base white rock. Green carolline algae has covered the rock with tiny purple spots. I am dosing Kent's Coral Life Nano Reef part A and B to maintain calcium at 450ppm.

tank 3.PNG tank 7.PNG
 
What I would do is a 2 gallon water change everyday for about ten days. You can get a gallon of distilled water at the Walmart for 0.79 cents. All I use is distilled water and Reef Crystals salt. My 20 gallon high tank is four months old with about 7 gallons of base white rock. Green carolline algae has covered the rock with tiny purple spots. I am dosing Kent's Coral Life Nano Reef part A and B to maintain calcium at 450ppm.

tank 3.PNG tank 7.PNG
That's awesome I'll do that then
 
What I would do is a 2 gallon water change everyday for about ten days. You can get a gallon of distilled water at the Walmart for 0.79 cents. All I use is distilled water and Reef Crystals salt. My 20 gallon high tank is four months old with about 7 gallons of base white rock. Green carolline algae has covered the rock with tiny purple spots. I am dosing Kent's Coral Life Nano Reef part A and B to maintain calcium at 450ppm.

tank 3.PNG tank 7.PNG
Do i need to take out the fish when doing nthe change?
 
Unless you are taking all water out of the tank, no need to remove the fish.
Thanks i was just worried that there would be a change in salinity but i guess that if i take out a gallon at 25 salinity then i just need to make a gallon at 25 so i should be ok thanks
 
What I would do is a 2 gallon water change everyday for about ten days. You can get a gallon of distilled water at the Walmart for 0.79 cents. All I use is distilled water and Reef Crystals salt. My 20 gallon high tank is four months old with about 7 gallons of base white rock. Green carolline algae has covered the rock with tiny purple spots. I am dosing Kent's Coral Life Nano Reef part A and B to maintain calcium at 450ppm.

tank 3.PNG tank 7.PNG
Ok i bought the distilled water and replaced the water that i had with distilled, will use that from now on, thanks for the help
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top