Does anyone have a successful sps tank using BRS ro/di?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chris86
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I wouldn't give spectrapure a dime of my money. Their questionable (to say the least) marketing and proprietary secrets are enough for me to take my money elsewhere. I don't trust a company that want's me to buy their product, and says it's superior to the competition, but can't explain how or why, because it's proprietary. I don't believe a word from spectrapure or its disciples that simply parrot the claims made by the company.

Myself, and most of the people I know run the BRS system. Many, many, many of us hobbyists do business with BRS. I haven't caught them making false, or misleading statements about the products they sell, and they stand by their customers.

I also like the idea of doing business with one company, and placing one order, to get most of my aquarium needs. RO replacements, GFO, GAC, calcium, alk.................

Just MHO
peace
EC
 
I wouldn't give spectrapure a dime of my money. Their questionable (to say the least) marketing and proprietary secrets are enough for me to take my money elsewhere. I don't trust a company that want's me to buy their product, and says it's superior to the competition, but can't explain how or why, because it's proprietary. I don't believe a word from spectrapure or its disciples that simply parrot the claims made by the company.

EC

So if you came out with a huge improvement on something like a ro membrane you would share your intellectual property for free so others can profit on your hard work and you not make a dime?
 
I love BRS chemicals and have a closet full of them including carbon, two part magnesium, alkalinity and calcium. But their RO is average at best and you can do much better for less money with several other vendors who have much more experience in the industry. Their bogus water saver claims one of the major reasons I will not use their RO products, every legitimate long time membrane vendor knows it's not that simple, if it were everyone would have been claiming that decades ago. They have a lot to learn.
 
Well all I can say is my BRS 6 stage is 19 months old and I am still getting a 99% efficiency rating. 404 in and 5 out to DI it flips from 4 to 5. For about the first 12 months I was getting 3 to DI. I do highly recommend the MaxCap DI-MC-10 for the first DI it does do exactly what it says it will do, I was very impressed with it.
 
My MaxCap UHE 100 is 9 years old and still over 99.4%. TDS in varies between 560 and 850 and RO only TDS is between 2 and 3 using a calibrated COM-100 handheld TDS/EC meter. Sediment and carbons last 18-24 months based on headloss and chlorine breakthru measurements, the membrane has never been touched, regular size MaxCap DI lasts over a year and regular size SilicaBuster over 3 years. That's with a 100G mi
xed reef with 30G sump and 16G nano. The system paid for itself years ago and cost per treated gallon is pennies.

I bought a Super MaxCap DI cartridge to try but I can't get the old regular one to exhaust.
 
Last edited:
My experience is this, both BRS and Spectrapure get the job done. I have used both but I have had SP last longer than BRS but other than that, no difference in TDS measurements.
 
That info sheet on the Dow is interesting.

According to it. The minimum it should remove is 96-99%.
So a difference of 3%.
Spectrapure is minimum 98-99%
So a difference of 1%.

Now those numbers don't seem like huge differences but when considering it is a measurement of how much stuff may pass through the spectrapure seems much better.



But back to the OPs main question. Yes the BRS unit is perfectly fine. If you want a great deal I would look at the spectrapure unit posted. Otherwise grab the BRS unit.

The only difference is 50 psi vs 60 psi.

I can't believe I'm the only one that see this....
 
One more thing, this hobby is very subjective, what works for you may not work for me or somebody else. If you try something that everyone says is the best or works and it doesn't, then no big deal, don't necessarily take it as you doing something wrong. RO/DI for example, some swear by BRS, others by SP. That doesn't mean either is right or wrong. Try one and if it's not for you, then switch. Heck, I've seen tanks that run solely on tap water and they look great too.
 
It's not the gpd that makes a difference, it is the rejection rate. Any membrane produces more water at higher pressure. Not all membranes will give you better than or even 98% rejection rate which is what makes DI last longer and save you money.
 
It's not the gpd that makes a difference, it is the rejection rate. Any membrane produces more water at higher pressure. Not all membranes will give you better than or even 98% rejection rate which is what makes DI last longer and save you money.

Not gph! It's the psi that makes the difference!

If the DOW BRS filter was at 60psi it would perform similar to the Listed Specs for the Sectrapure.

If the Spectrapure filter was at 50psi it would perform similar to the Listed Specs for the BRS filter.

Make sense?
 
Gpd yes, rejection rate no. The process that Spectrapure subjects their membranes to improves upon the normal Dow membrane. I had two Does before my three MaxCaps and could never get them to perform the same. I even took them to the Watts Premier facility and had them bench tested but there really is a difference and is why Spectrapure has been around over 30 years with thousands of happy customers. Water treatment is my 40+ year profession and I can buy anywhere but they get all my business.
 
Gpd yes, rejection rate no. The process that Spectrapure subjects their membranes to improves upon the normal Dow membrane. I had two Does before my three MaxCaps and could never get them to perform the same. I even took them to the Watts Premier facility and had them bench tested but there really is a difference and is why Spectrapure has been around over 30 years with thousands of happy customers. Water treatment is my 40+ year profession and I can buy anywhere but they get all my business.

Your telling me that the rejection rate for the BRS membrane would not improve at 60psi?
 
Yes it will improve slightly, membranes love pressure. But it will not match the Spectrapure, their process is proven to be better. Even a 2% improvement over a dry untested membrane doubles your DI life. This is what sets them apart. The extra $5-$10 you spend for the treated, tested and guaranteed membrane pays off with the first DI replacement when you double it's life.
 
Yes it will improve slightly, membranes love pressure. But it will not match the Spectrapure, their process is proven to be better. Even a 2% improvement over a dry untested membrane doubles your DI life. This is what sets them apart. The extra $5-$10 you spend for the treated, tested and guaranteed membrane pays off with the first DI replacement when you double it's life.

At 60 psi the Dow membrane will have a 98% rejection rate. That seems like very good performance to me.
 
Spectrapure guarantees a >98% rejection. Not 99%. I personally think the pretreatment process is nothing more that wetting the membrane. That of course has huge impacts on the performance, initially, but after the others are wet and at 60 psi they perform exactly the same.
 
Spectrapure guarantees a >98% rejection. Not 99%. I personally think the pretreatment process is nothing more that wetting the membrane. That of course has huge impacts on the performance, initially, but after the others are wet and at 60 psi they perform exactly the same.

This is just beating a dead horse at this point.
 
I had a RO/DI unit that I bought off Amazon it was not a good one (you get what you pay for) and it was my bad. Then I bought a BRS 6 stage unit and I love it. It has a tads meter and a psi meter built in. Great unit, filters are easy to replace the DI resin is also easy to replace comes in a vacuum packed bag so you can store them just all around a great product
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top