Does my Mini Max Carpet Anenome have two mouths?

As an animal biologist, I don't think anemones feel pain. Rather, I think what they react to is instinctual to survival. When poked, I think their reaction is more of a built-in "protection" mode if you will. Like say for instance a nem is getting it's foot picked at by a crab. The nem will close up and after a few days will release its foot and move. Their is neither proof or disproof that nems can feel "pain". However, my hypothesis is that it's not pain they are feeling but a built in "instinct" that helps prevent them from getting eaten.
 
How's that any different from our reaction?? Take a scalpel to me and I'll guarantee my reaction will be serving that same purpose and it might be awhile before I open up again. Like you said, we don't know. I prefer to err on the side of compassion.
I understand people hunt. People treat other life forms in different ways. I simply feel an overwhelming sense of responsibility to the life I'm responsible for. I'm in no way suggesting anybody else do as I do. We are expressing opinions here. The day a marine biologist tells me that without a doubt they feel no pain my opinion will change. Everyone I've spoken to says its an important question... biologically speaking... and we just don't know yet.
 
Last edited:
Well, humans have a nervous system with actual nerves that are being cut into. We have a sensory system that senses an actual pain sensation. An anemone doesn't have a brain. I'm not 100% sure but I believe they work more along the lines of tiny electrical signals. So if you poke them, the cells in that one area send electrical signals to the rest of the cells and cause a contraction of the anemone's tissue. No brain to sense pain means no pain. Just electrical impulses telling cells to contract is basically all it is.
 
Last edited:
Yes I understand what your saying. However, despite not having a central processor it's suspected there are other biological processes which in effect accomplish the same thing. Read the article I posted in this thread earlier. I'm not stupid. I understand human biology as compared to that of a carpet. No brain. Check.
 
Look this is going to go nowhere. The bottom line as it pertains to pain and invertebrates...according to every academic article I can find... the overwhelming consensus is WE JUST DON'T KNOW YET!!!!!!
My only point here is I prefer to err on the side of caution until science tells me otherwise.
Why on earth would you want to convince me otherwise??!? I don't understand?!! I don't believe in a God but I have ZERO desire to convince someone who does that they are wrong!!! Are trying to convince yourselves or me?
 
Last edited:
Not at all, my friend showed it to me after a discussion on pain. I never would of thought of doing something like that, I just think its funny what people come up with. Mushrooms are much closer to grass when it comes to having feelings so I figured you would be ok with it.
I wonder if it really works

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3
 
Ah ok cool!! I agree with you. I'm not sure if I'd do it though.... on this I take issue with putting pricey coral in the blender. However if it worked I guess I'd be cranking out coral shakes!
 
Yuck!! Had more than my fair share of those in college in Montana... watching the big sky and all the stars melting into each other...

Lol, mushroom smoothies for everyone

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3
 
No kinda watching him. He sandwiched himself between some rocks now. Can't really see the two mouths right now. He's eating anything I give him.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1374266296.701157.jpg
 
You should rip him outta that crevasse and take a scalpel to that piece of meat! Two nems are better than one!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top