Does my Mini Max Carpet Anenome have two mouths?

I've had my red one split though I never noticed 2 mouths. I wish I had noticed it was doing it but I just happened to notice it didn't look its normal round shape one day and on closer inspection I realized I now have 2 of them.
 
I'm not exactly sure why but I feel I should post this....

received from Dr. Daphne Fautin.

"To prevent taking animals from the wild, some well-intentioned people propose cutting sea anemones in pieces to propagate them artificially. I am astonished how often I receive such proposals! It appears that only (or nearly only) anemones that naturally divide will predictably survive this treatment. Despite a persistent belief otherwise, anemones of most species do not reproduce asexually: only two of the 10 species that are natural hosts to anemonefishes do, and that may be a pretty good estimate of the prevalence of that ability among all anemones - 20% of species.

Perhaps the myth that division is how anemones reproduce is due in part to the feeling that anemones are "primitive" and division is a "primitive" attribute (in fact, anemones have been on earth far longer than humans, so can be argued to be more evolved!), and in part because pests such as *Aiptasia* are many peoples' ideas of a "typical" anemone. In fact, they are so prevalent and common precisely because they have that unusual ability - most of the 1000 or so species of anemones are less conspicuous because they do not occur in such densities at least in part because they lack that ability.

Another possible source of the misconception about anemone division is the practice of fragging corals. Clearly anemones and scleractinian corals are closely related. But that does not mean they can be treated identically. All anemones are solitary (even those that divide separate entirely once they have formed separate bodies, whereas polyps of corals in a colony remain physically attached to one another after they have arisen asexually). So fragging is dividing colonies (groups of polyps) into smaller colonies (fewer polyps per piece). By contrast, cutting an anemone into pieces is analogous to cutting you into two or more pieces; and for anemones of most species, the result would be precisely the same -- we would not have numerous identical yous, we would have no you.

Associated with an ability in some anemones to divide (into two or many pieces, depending on the species) is an ability to heal; obviously healing is necessary for regeneration. And although the reverse is not necessarily the case, it seems that animals that do not normally divide also have poor healing ability. So the prospects are dim for propagating anemones of species that do not naturally divide by cutting them into two or more pieces. One person who wrote to me rather triumphantly with a proposal to reduce collection from nature by cutting anemones in pieces as a means of artificial propagation was so pleased because he had cut in half two anemones of a species that does not reproduce asexually (as I recall, it was a species of *Stichodactyla*), and although both halves of one had died, both of the other had survived. So he started with two and ended with two, each half as large as the originals. I failed to see promise in this approach.

And even for the two species of anemonefish host anemones that seem to divide in nature, differences from place to place make me think there may be more than one species of what we think is a single species of each or there may be differences among individuals. Thus, even an anemone that is thought to be able to propagate asexually (*Entacmaea quadricolor*, the bubble-tip, and *Heteractis magnifica*, the "Ritteri" anemone) may die from being cut up.


Daphne Fautin


Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Curator, Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center
Haworth Hall
University of Kansas"
 
What you do says volumes as does your reaction to my post. Because you successfully hack the animals in your care, professionally or otherwise, doesn't mean you should. Be careful about what you spit off. I've been in this hobby longer than you "bud".

YES YOU CAN FRAG/SPLIT AN ANEMONE...
It's done all the time with maxi mini nems as well as bubble nems
In the wild they would reproduce sexually btw, so please don't spit off I formation that is not correct, I've been in this hobby 20 years as well as working in the industry, I promise I picked up a few things along t the way bud
 
Last edited:
[...]One person who wrote to me rather triumphantly with a proposal to reduce collection from nature by cutting anemones in pieces as a means of artificial propagation was so pleased because he had cut in half two anemones of a species that does not reproduce asexually (as I recall, it was a species of *Stichodactyla*), and although both halves of one had died, both of the other had survived. So he started with two and ended with two, each half as large as the originals. I failed to see promise in this approach.[...]
Not my debate, but I think a little open discussion doesn't hurt.

I understand Dr. Fautin's concerns, but this is well-documented and practiced routinely in our hobby. Her argument is based on a sample size of 2 to produce a 50% mortality rate of this process, upon which it is quite silly to base a sweeping generalization such as 'this lacks promise'. By her logic, she can say that no scolymia should ever be fragged because it is a division of the polyp rather than between polyps. Yet, people have done so successfully.

@OP: Whatever you choose to do with the nem, keep the thread updated. I don't recall seeing maxi mini's with two mouths before either.
 
I'm fine with debate... as a matter of fact I'd go so far as to say I'm far more apt to disagree than most. I'm not fine with the way he approached it. My opinion is that it's cruel. These anemones feel pain and don't deserve to be sliced apart for profit or gain. If there's a chance it'll die I won't do it. There are risks we all take but on this risk I'm out. That's my opinion. Best wishes. This thread has rubbed me the wrong way so I won't participate any further.
 
Last edited:
Anemones feel pain? Wow what's next it's cruel to cut my grass or my trees.
I think you need a brain to feel pain or at least a central nervous system , where is the brain in an anemone?
P. S. Don't pick roses, it causes them sever pain.

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3
 
Logical conclusion. Anemones are plants huh? A brain? where's yours?

Anemones feel pain? Wow what's next it's cruel to cut my grass or my trees.
I think you need a brain to feel pain or at least a central nervous system , where is the brain in an anemone?
P. S. Don't pick roses, it causes them sever pain.

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3
 
Last edited:
Anemones feel pain? Wow what's next it's cruel to cut my grass or my trees.
I think you need a brain to feel pain or at least a central nervous system , where is the brain in an anemone?
P. S. Don't pick roses, it causes them sever pain.

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3

I for one do think that anemones can feel pain... I classify them completely as an animal, not plants like the grass, trees, and roses you mentioned. They can react to negative stimuli, making me think they can feel pain. If you poke an anemone do they not react negatively and pull them selves in? If I am coming off as rude please forgive me, that's not my intentions. It's hard to give an opinion without sounding rude due to the fact that you only read text, you can't hear or see how I express it.
 
Your not rude at all, I'm not trying to be rude either. It's like a Venus fly trap or many other plants that close up or move when touched. Most corals are many many thousands of individual organisms living together to create one "animal". As far a feelings, emotions and pain. I don't think so. If you cut off a trees limb it bleeds sap and heals it's self much like most animal's do , does it get mad or feel pain, no. Anemones react to external stimulus but they don't have a brain nor do they have thought and feel what animals call pain

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3
 
It's their reaction to negative as well as positive stimulus. Find me a marine biologist who disagrees.
 
ru7y6yje.jpg
a5a9uzu4.jpg
 
Last edited:
Very good read, it makes it clear that reactions are made because of stimulus but no one can say that the animal (a combination of many many living cells that combine to make organisms that again combine to make the animal /creature / "anemone" that we are talking about. Nobody can confirm that the animal or any of its organisms or the individual cells actually feel discomfort or pain from being sliced by razor blades.

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3
 
I don't know if it feels pain so I won't cut it!! You went from they don't feel pain to we don't know! I feel better now. Thank you!
 
I live with chronic pain and I'm sensitive to the issue. Sue me.
Any animal that recoils from my touch I believe feels pain whether that be a S.Haddoni or Lynn Hogwood from 3rd grade. If grass visibly responded to my touch... well I live downtown so doesn't matter. In my opinion simply being able to communicate your pain isn't the line I draw nor is a brain and nervous system. If you read my post you'll agree there's a question mark. That's enough for me to not hack my animals apart. Do Fish Feel Pain was the subject of a book. Even fish are questionable but just to be safe I won't be torturing my fish either!
me7ymyha.jpg
 
Last edited:
You draw interesting conclusions based solely upon respect for life... not too bright but interesting nonetheless. Not a vegetation. Not a hippie. I just respect the animals in my care. Curious though, how old are you?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top