FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Wide angle clip-on lens picture with my phone for fun.
a1213a5ee0b4647e873bb364b188dcde.jpg
 
I'm kinda late on this but I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I've always been told you can't have an emperor angel in a coral tank. This is my favorite fish of all time! Does he not bother the corals?
 
I'm kinda late on this but I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I've always been told you can't have an emperor angel in a coral tank. This is my favorite fish of all time! Does he not bother the corals?
If you have zoas or LPS, he'll more than likely eat them. He nibbles on a few acros from time to time but nothing major.

Unfortunately, I lost him to marine velvet last month so I don't have one anymore.
 
If you have zoas or LPS, he'll more than likely eat them. He nibbles on a few acros from time to time but nothing major.

Unfortunately, I lost him to marine velvet last month so I don't have one anymore.
So sorry to hear you lost him. Ahh ok that makes sense. I might just have to go with a dominate sps reef then.
 
Did the angel reduce polyp extension?
I had 5 angels in the tank... It just depends. The worst offenders were the potters and flame really... The larger angels didn't peck as much. My milles were still whipping around polyps all the time until an angel pecked... Then it would withdraw... But come back out 30 mins later. I never saw polyps get eaten as they always came back out afterwards.
 
Looking pretty good!

I spent much of Saturday doing just the same thing. That glove would have helped - and maybe my thumb wouldn't be quite so swollen and itchy.

~Bruce, who must've grabbed a bristle worm . . .
 
Looking pretty good!

I spent much of Saturday doing just the same thing. That glove would have helped - and maybe my thumb wouldn't be quite so swollen and itchy.

~Bruce, who must've grabbed a bristle worm . . .
Hilarious. Yeah, that glove is a big help to have my fingers still functional the next day.
 
I remember you don't do any water changes. What calcium reactor media are you using?
 
I remember you don't do any water changes. What calcium reactor media are you using?
I am using TLF Reborn media and occasionally throw in some NeoMag for Mg supplementation.
 
Awesome! I am getting my first calc reactor today and am excited to get it setup. That is the media I went with. I'm gonna try the no water change thing. Are you dosing anything else?
 
Awesome! I am getting my first calc reactor today and am excited to get it setup. That is the media I went with. I'm gonna try the no water change thing. Are you dosing anything else?
Which reactor did you get? I've run 4 different ones and the one I settled on was the MTC Procal... Keeps a super stable effluent rate and is set and forget.

No water changes requires some form of nutrient removal as well. I use an oversized skimmer combined with GFO (phosphate) biopellets (nitrate), and activated carbon to accomplish this.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top