Gribbliest's Reefer 750 XXL Build

Looks like your build is off and running. Really like aquascape - especially that overhang on the end.
For the Low/No NO3, have you tried actually dosing Nitrates? I had an issue with my 125 a while back with undetectable PO4, but rising No3, I started a controlled regiment of dosing small amounts of PO4 until it leveled out and everything was happy again.
 
Looks like your build is off and running. Really like aquascape - especially that overhang on the end.
For the Low/No NO3, have you tried actually dosing Nitrates? I had an issue with my 125 a while back with undetectable PO4, but rising No3, I started a controlled regiment of dosing small amounts of PO4 until it leveled out and everything was happy again.

Thank you! And thanks for the random flow generator - it's awesome!!

I'm considering dosing of NO3, now registering PO4, but only just!

Gonna grab some pics of corals soon, they all seem to be coming on nicely, had a little issue with too much light for a while, but that seems to be under control now. Grabbed a PAR meter and trying to be a little more controlled about where to place things!
 
Some quick pics...

AC752F4B-1AFD-43B1-AA2B-BE710D447734.jpeg 5D183B6E-A0D9-4C2F-9C7B-D8F1B2F70456.jpeg 207728F1-8EF3-4243-97E3-4CEAA57F95CB.jpeg

I swear I only have one Sailfin - he just likes to be in every photo I take!
 
The aquascape looks amazing imho. Following.
 
Nice build. I’ll be starting my build thread soon. I just ordered ghl 2.1 dosers. How do you like the KH director?

Also, curious why you chose the ghl leds? Just keeping all the same brand? Or any advantage to the over Ecotech/AI?
 
Having some teething troubles with it to be fair. Gonna try re-calibrating the probe tomorrow.

As for the GHL lights, used to use them back in the UK and really like them. They are similar to others, but all integrate with the Profilux!
 
I've taken it offline for the moment. Need to get another Doser to run it.... I have more of a need for consistent Ca and Kh dosing for now.

Also considering dosing nitrates. I've not been able to measure NO3 (or PO4) in my system since week two... Regardless of how much I feed. Not a problem I've experienced on previous tanks!
 
So I decided to go for it today...

Bought some spectracide stump remover from lowes! I diluted 4.4g of KNO3 in 1L of RO. Now dosing 1ml per hour. Should be enough to increase my nitrate by 0.1PPM per day.

I will monitor my nitrate level and see if it becomes detectable, and then adjust accordingly. Wish me luck!
 
So I decided to go for it today...

Bought some spectracide stump remover from lowes! I diluted 4.4g of KNO3 in 1L of RO. Now dosing 1ml per hour. Should be enough to increase my nitrate by 0.1PPM per day.

I will monitor my nitrate level and see if it becomes detectable, and then adjust accordingly. Wish me luck!

Should be interesting. If you keep good control of it, I would suspect you'll get good results.
Had to do something similar a while back. I had undetectable P04 while I was running BioPellets. In my cased this caused the BP to stop affecting the N03 and it jumped way up to the 20 ppm range while Po4 stayed undetectable. To kick start the BP and bring the N03 down, I started dosing small amounts of P04. took about two weeks to get everything back in balance.
 
Last edited:
Well, I am reading nitrates in my tank for the first time in months! Slowed the dosing, I seem to have had a larger increase than expected - I'm seeing around 1ppm rather than the 0.3 I expected, but some of this could also be from over-feeding.

Hair algae has been dying back in the sump, but my chaeto is still alive!

Gave myself a panic attack this morning, measured my Ca and it was over 800ppm... Then realised I measured 10ml of tank water rather than 5ml...
 
Beautiful tank and a great build! I've just ordered a 750xxl. I'm looking at 3 radions mounted left to right vs the mitras mounted front to back (like yours) and was wondering how you like the mitras? Do they have enough light spread? Do you get the spotlight effect or does it light the tank evenly? Thank you!
 
So I suck at keeping things updated. It’s been a rollercoaster for the past year. Had a couple of issues on the way.

Went on vacation in the summer, and had an issue with top up. Caused some issues with my corals.

Have added a 4th 7206 LED (GHL)

Here’s how things are looking right now:

2CA13B4E-AEC7-4986-A8C0-086C2B42D5C0.jpeg


I’ve had an infestation of monti eating nudibranchs... still fighting it :(

Just finished dealing with an outbreak of bryopsis. Fluconozale (Flux RX) dealt with it in 6 days, no visible side effects.

Feels like things are back on track, just struggling to keep my KH up right now: so I’m hoping my sps are growing! KH Director from GHL doing its thing, just having to increase my dosing gradually, as I only allow it to adjust from base by so much!

My yellow tang is a complete *#%!. Considering moving him out soon.

I’ve had 5 broods of Banggais. Managed to get 32 raised this last batch. Poor male has to be kept in isolation for a couple of months to give him a chance to feed up - he will have eggs in his mouth within 10 days of being returned to DT!

A3C801F0-C39C-4F11-8F41-BF6CBC2246AF.jpeg


A few of pics of my livestock:

8091DFA3-DC0F-4BBF-9CFD-12AFB308466B.jpeg

F33215D6-1464-47E8-8986-EDB7FBEB131C.jpeg
9446EC59-E1EB-4996-B9E6-B0F62C8D0A4E.jpeg
220C7B2C-3BB2-4235-8DB5-FAA190533D4C.jpeg
BE973B60-3692-4A50-97F6-3BFF4A603CF0.jpeg
D656FB66-8839-46B9-A250-5FC3BCC5C0EF.jpeg

CFA7E1BF-D9EC-4FB7-A215-7548EE5EB557.jpeg
C5D9153E-8988-40C9-BB5E-F29B0A4C049F.jpeg
2E7197B2-795D-4042-9CA0-66B8EEE3AD9A.jpeg
3B6C9692-E1D4-41BD-9392-F95F614E4888.jpeg
 
Beautiful tank and a great build! I've just ordered a 750xxl. I'm looking at 3 radions mounted left to right vs the mitras mounted front to back (like yours) and was wondering how you like the mitras? Do they have enough light spread? Do you get the spotlight effect or does it light the tank evenly? Thank you!
I am sorry I didn’t reply sooner. I love GHL. I came over to USA from Europe where they are much more popular. Major difference is reflectors over lenses. I don’t see spotlight effect. I did add a 4th, but mounting left to right may well have given what I needed - I was restricted in mounting as I couldn’t change what I’d put in place!
 
To follow up on my earlier KH director ‘woes’. It was user error. I had some issues with bubbles in my line, and a problem where I hadn’t accurately measured the length of the sample tube.

Once I got everything right, it’s been great. Had an issue last week when adjusting my dosing profile, but that was because I had the sample taken seconds after dosing - saw a KH ‘spike’ to 11.5. I staggered by 15 mins, and it’s perfect again.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top