How long have you been in the hobby?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dsmhero
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

How long have you been reefkeeping?

  • less than a year

    Votes: 35 9.5%
  • 1 - 1.5 years

    Votes: 29 7.9%
  • 2 - 2.5 years

    Votes: 27 7.3%
  • 3 - 4 years

    Votes: 32 8.7%
  • 5 - 8 years

    Votes: 81 22.0%
  • 9+ years

    Votes: 164 44.6%

  • Total voters
    368
ive kept fw tanks since I was a kid probably like 8yo that turned into a job breeding fw fish when I was a teen when I was then about 12 years ago I got into sw tanks been here ever since
 
I started FW about 3 years ago. Got big in to planted tanks back early last year, then started my reef tank in December of last year.
 
First saltwater tank started in 1984 and I have kept one all through the years....I guess that's 28 years now. Bought my first live rock in 1990 and was excited with the anemones that were on it (aiptasia) along with the algae (hair), but it was fun watching what grew next. Built my own wet/dry trickle filters in the 90s (even made a hang on trickle filter for a 30g tank while in college (glad I didn't market it given the changes that have occurred over the years with regard to filtration). At one point, I had over 250+ gallons between two tanks and a sump and am now back down to a 34g solana with a hang on skimmer...guess I went full circle.
 
started my first fresh water tank when i was 8 been into fresh water predator fish (for 24yrs) then in march of 2012 mybuddy got out of the sw hobby after 5 yrs and i bought his 180g complete setu from him for a steal and have been loving the marine aquarium hobby ever since
 
just before my first daughter was born. 15 years for me.
 
I set up my first saltwater tank 22 years ago after becoming bored with freshwater. Would go to local fish store and spend most of my time just looking at the saltwater fish. Still making mistakes once in a while but also still learning.
 
I have been in the hobby for 6 years now, 4 years in I decided to start my own store. I'm still a avid hobbyist and like to go shopping every time I'm at a frag swap :) I have learned so much over the past few years and I hope to make this a life long experience!

-TRS
 
Started in FW 1972
First SW fish tank 1976
First attempt at a reef 1990....LOTS of failures sadly. I ended up with more or less a fish and invert tank.
Took a break from '97 to '12, I was tired of my critters being so 'disposable', my guilt wouldn't let me keep trying.
Thankfully the internet, and a tremendous amount of research over the last few years have given me a whole new outlook and understanding of the hobby.
I now fully understand the many errors I was making, both in technique and equipment, or lack there of.
 
Started with saltwater fish only in 1979 and reefs in 1983. The LFS in my neighborhood went out of business so my son and I bought 10 of their display systems complete and sold them to pay for our Christmas that year plus allow both of us to jump into the hobby with both feet. Had the sickness ever since!
 
August will be 4 years for us. A lot learned in that time frame lol thankfully we had the internet or had lost a lot more along the way lol


Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!
 
24 years ago started with saltwater fish only tank, dead coral pieces, undergravel filter with penguin powerhead mounted on air lift tube. Crushed coral gravel on the bottom. First reef aqaurium in 1995. Still got an 18 y.o. pearl bubble coral from that first set up and other corals over 15 y.o.!!!
 
I'm 30 and have been doing this since I was 16 but had fresh water tanks as long as I could remember...about 6 yeas ago is when I think I canged from a saltwater Hobbyist to a hard-core collector.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top